• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Table Top Strategy Games

Danjanou said:
Sorry bud but I have to strongly disagree. Well I will give Games Workshop full marks fro keeping miniature war gaming alive when it seemed about to disappear into obscurity crushed between PC gaming and role playing ala D&D, that’s as far as I’ll go, and yes I’ve played 40k  and even made it to a couple of National tournaments and have the geeky trophies to show for it buried in the bowels of my basement.

The piss poor marketing technique of changing everything and forcing you to buy new armies and rule books every couple of months and the dumbing down of their rule systems so the target gaming group could collectively qualify for the Darwin Awards  was what made me leave after a couple of years.

There are so many other options out there both Historical and Sci Fi/Fantasy with better rules and better ( and cheaper) figures to waste your money on.

Well I haven't played in years and I'm not really keeping up with how Games Workshop is doing with 40k.. Its a shame if those things are true, my main beef was the price that they charged because they knew real fans would pay.

The core of the game (or what it used to be) is unlike anything I've ever experienced or heard of, and that's why it is my personal favourite.

I'll second the 40k sentiments. It does have lots of strategic options. But there are more complex games out there. There are more tactics involved in warhammer fantasy for one thing.

thats probably why 40 caught on though is because its easier to play. which is why these darwin award qualifiers mentioned earlier tend to be hordes of juvenile space marine players.

A note on the piss poor marketing too. They're releasing new codex's and models and rule books at a crazy rate and even made a new faction that almost nobody plays (chaos daemons). And I've noticed poor quality too as many of the newer codex's, asides from rather overpowered so everyone will buy them, they pretty much start falling apart after a few weeks

Despite all that, I love the game though as I'm no hardcore hobbyist and Games Workshop stores are pretty good and making the experience a good one.

Appears Battle Front/Flames of War is expanding

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=53&art_id=1639

Salute to all the army folks who are also fans of strategy games  :salute:

Regarding the talk about Wings of War there are still alot of folks playing the game and loving the miniatures,

and even some guys like myself doing addons to make the game more interesting

the add ons:
http://www.pyrkol.com/poster3.jpg

more info on the add ons:
www.pyrkol.com

There is a great active worldwide comunity on the Aerodrome, feel Free to drop in as well:
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/content.php

Best of luck in all your sorties

Paulo Dias
Pyrkol

I had forgotten about this thread.  I'm really going nuts with Flames of War. Even hosting a small tournament here in Oromocto.  PM me for details!

Technoviking said:
I had forgotten about this thread.  I'm really going nuts with Flames of War. Even hosting a small tournament here in Oromocto.  PM me for details!

I've played a few Warharmmer 40k games, found them very interesting, even spent some coin building the starting of an Army.  But... well, never really found many people into it (I'm currently in Oromocto), and to be honest, the cost was rather extreme.  I think I'll have to look up this Flames of War and see what it has to offer.

For the most part, I play computer strategy games.  I think this is more so for the ease of it, but without a doubt there is more joy playing a game with others.

Anyways, to the point... It looks like Flames of War uses miniatures as well.  Is the cost high? And interestingly, does ONE company have the market on it? I recall a short while ago seeing a number of files available for 3D printers where individuals were designing Warhammer 40k figures.  Easily the cheapest approach!

First of all, yes it can get costly,  but it's much less than Warhammer.  The main company is battlefront,  but there are a number of companies who make vehicles,  men, etc. And some of it is very high quality.  Here is one of my figures:
10153274_10152064274406232_1852298633383009859_n.jpg

Anyway, if you're interested at all, come to the Maritime Club this Tuesday evening around 1830 or so. We game in there every Tuesday.  Warhammer,  Flames of War and other minis.

Back