• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tac Vest does not make the grade.

Looks like I would have to remortgage my house to own one of those!!

It is about $800 USD w/o armour - and close to 2K once the Level III soft armour panels are added and damn ner $3500 with the Ceramic Plates...

Camelback 2L

Did you get it with all the armour upgrades, or just the vest. I've heard they're pretty good.  How would you rate it?

Tac vest -- crap vest.

I talked to the Maj in charge of Clothe The Soldier (CTS) once and asked him why the vest lacked any form of modularity. He answered that CTS (meaning himself) thought it more important that everyone be the same. It is kind of funny that the only two people there who know anything, two 031 Sgt's, are basically ignored on almost every concern they raise. I actually heard a staff officer say something to the effect that the Sgt's were there to lend the project a veneer of credibility with the field soldier, nothing more.  ::)

My thoughts exactly, Ive got a MODULAR vest coming in pretty soon, made by High Speed Gear.

I can understand "You must all be the same troops" on a BMQ course, but truly, not all soldiers are built the same, or have the same preferences.   Modularity is the way to go.  Its kind of sad when garrison thinking takes priority over proper functioning equipment in the field.

Heck my current 82 web set up isnt exactly the same as everyone elses (extra ammo pouches for binos and flashlight, parachute cord securing items to the belt etc)... :cdn:

I know for a fact that one of the Sgts working the project is getting a CDS commendation for his work there as well. Your post kinda puts a new light on why, ibucephalus.  ::)

Ugh...that reminds me...I need to 'de-speed' my 82 webbing for my PLQ over christmas...

:dontpanic:
J.M.

This PLQ i'm on is messing with my vest layout, dam modular vest's that have to be standard.......... :threat:

There are so many things I can do to it, but I cant.......grrrrrrr

Dude, I wouldn't complain...at least you HAVE your vest.

I likely won't see mine until Mar/April. In fact, my unit is the only Res unit in the area not to have them, I think. We'll be the only 4 guys on course not to have them.

J.M.

M203 Grenadier?

http://www.blackhawkindustries.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=1185&d=

A more modular form of the Tac Vest, in the Blackhawk configuration?

A more modular form of the Tac Vest in general?

http://www.wheelersonline.com/detail.asp?product_id=1016

Even with a pure, modular vest, there's the issue of attaching a belt, to lash more kit onto. Now, most belts are adjustable at the centre, by the Fastex/slide buckle. Most vests are adjustable on the sides. Adjusting on the fly, 82 pattern webbing or Tac Vest alone, can be done easily enough, but is really difficult to do with a vest and belt combination.

JavaMan said:
Dude, I wouldn't complain...at least you HAVE your vest.

I likely won't see mine until Mar/April. In fact, my unit is the only Res unit in the area not to have them, I think. We'll be the only 4 guys on course not to have them.

J.M.

You have no idea how frustraiting it is not being able to DO anything to the damn thing untill you get it.  While we were still using the old style webbing nobody really cared what you did with it as long as it looked proffesional and was effective.  As soon as the tac vests came in the RSM started enforcing KIT LISTS for fuck's sake.  I've been a MCpl for 4 years and I got shit on for not having socks in the correct pouch, so you can imagine what'd happen if I tried to replace the straps with bungee cord or add some non-standard pouches.  I'm guessing the regs aren't being so stupid about it, but the crap that these vests have caused in reserve units is just ridiculous.

48Highlander said:
I've been a MCpl for 4 years and I got crap on for not having socks in the correct pouch.

Dude - socks DON"T fit in a TACVEST (or belong) - please tell your RSM that from me.  It is mission essential only

Yeah we had some stupid lists - but our new CO is pretty ******* cool with what we want to wear now so the BS is a min - we have MIN amounts (First Aid stuff) but no real set list (as he knows eveyone is slightly different).

"I'm guessing the regs aren't being so stupid about it, but the crap that these vests have caused in reserve units is just ridiculous."

Yeah, I hear ya. I just got the tac vest the other day so I could have it for my PLQ. Sure looks pretty, but we'll see how it works out in the field. We haven't been given a kit list for the thing...yet. But I can see it coming."

J.M.

Make sure the very tip of the scabbard is tucked in on the chest, if you wear it that way, cause we almost bent a guy in half pulling him over an Irish Table on the obstacle course in Pet cause his tip wasn't covered, get your heads out of the gutter.  But really, it put a nice dent in the bottom of the table, and it wasn't until after the course was completed that we say why he never got over, and why only half of his bayonet came out when he pulled it out.

I love the vest. Ive had it since the begining of October and ive used it on a few ex's already. 1 Demo ex, 1 Bridge ex, 1 DRU weekend, and ever other weekend since mid october when the BMQ im teaching on started. Just for the comfort of the vest its worth it. Ruck Marchs have never felt so good. the vest is useable on the go, it breaths and its comfortable. yes ive said that afew times but its true. Insted of bitching inside my head about the dam webbing while working or doing a section attack i can actully full concentrate on the task at hand b/c the tacvest isnt getting in the way.

So you've had it on how long in reality? 5 or 6 days?

::)

Sorry I just don't see a weekend ex as a validation for a piece of gear.

Bomber

Move the bayonet to the weak side off the utility pouch it gets it out of the way...

Ive been useing the vest every weekend since oct 22. When teaching its great, on PT(ruck marches) its great, demo ex i had no problems with it other than no butt poack to hold alot of c4 but my nuke bag fixed that, the dru weekend of constantly running out to deal with "rioters" it was great. the bridge build it was awsum i didnt even feel it. In my short experiance with the vest ive had nothing but good or great experiances with it.

Dude - socks DON"T fit in a TACVEST (or belong) - please tell your RSM that from me.  It is mission essential only

This would be middle stage of "tac vest mania", where well meaning leaders try to fit the whole Ops 100 FFO  our chest.  Thus, "1 pair socks in buttpack left Kidney pouch".

Give 'em a few month to get over it.  ;D

2FER - heck if it works for you all the power too you - I just have a feeling that as you have to wear it longer you are goign to start noticing things about it...

You wearing armour and plates?

KevinB said:
You wearing armour and plates?

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin.

Quit baiting the lad. You know the only place in Canada that has those is the "Tease the Soldier" site ;D

Back