• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tan berets and other CANSOFCOM, JTF, and CSOR fashions [1st split: CSOR]

Your dictionary is broken if the only meaning that you can assign to “colour” is that of it being a synonym for “flag.”

So, the drafter should have put "Unique command" vice "Unique service".

Infanteer said:

:nod:

...and the Royal Canadian Navy is the "Senior Command," not the "Senior Service."

etc...  ;)

Cheers
G2G

Good2Golf said:
:nod:

...and the Royal Canadian Navy is the "Senior Senile Command," not the "Senior Senile Service."

etc...  ;)

Cheers
G2G

FTFY.

MM

We can source them distinct Canadian supplied Camo as well https://www.fireforceventures.com/store/rhodesian-army-brushstroke-bdu-shirt

Infanteer said:
But there are no distinctive environmental operational uniforms in the CAF.  Sure the flight suit is most commonly associated with the RCAF, but it is worn by flight crew regardless of “native environment” (as illustrated by Canadian Army door gunners in Tac Hel).  The same is true of NCDs and anyone who is crew to a ship, and I suspect we have all seen plenty of RCAF and RCN personnel in both shades of the CADPAT combat uniform both for deployed land operations and for garrison work in Canada. 

But, I don't think the author erred in what was wrote; I think the text says exactly what is being messaged.  I have seen several other products in the past few years messaging the idea that the CAF has four entities with long distinct service histories that stretch back into the Second World War.

I did not mind the different uniform in theatre when it could be linked to an operational requirement.  But this purchase does not even hide the fact that the uniform is now about ego and the want to look different from the CAF.

I worry that Bercuson, in Significant Incident, linked similar peacock variances in dress to catalyzing some of the Airborne Regiment's problems.  Maybe he missed the mark in that assessment, but it remains concerning to me when those who should be the pinnacle of quiet professionals are going in the other direction.

MCG said:
I did not mind the different uniform in theatre when it could be linked to an operational requirement.  But this purchase does not even hide the fact that the uniform is now about ego and the want to look different from the CAF.

So, what you're saying is, the Multi-Cam wasn't enough? :)

During ILP it was made very clear to us that the CAF has now 4 different environment; Army, Navy, RCAF and Cansofcom. Each with their own requirements, Cansofcom even have their own acquisition program.

That was what the CDS made clear at the reception following the parade for the GG departure.  That Cansofcom is it's own creature apart from the rest of us.

jollyjacktar said:
That was what the CDS made clear at the reception following the parade for the GG departure.  That Cansofcom is it's own creature apart from the rest of us.

When it's hard to keep your numbers up, it's important to look 'special'  :camo:

jollyjacktar said:
That was what the CDS made clear at the reception following the parade for the GG departure.  That Cansofcom is it's own creature empire apart from the rest of us.

I know we both hate people meddling with our posts but I thought this was fitting lol

I am going to be a straight up a--hole.

Does it matter that CANSOFCOM has its own dress and operational uniform? They were multicam, big deal. Personally, the army should follow IMO but we have holier than though CADPAT.

As far as their DEUs, no big deal. There are far bigger issues facing the CF right now. MUCH bigger issues. Personally, no government takes us or our ex-service members seriously so we continue to be a politcal football to be used.

New Ships? Nope. New fighter aircraft? Nope. Army structure that makes sense? Nope. Look at the gong show called the JPSU. You guys know the list goes on. Oops I assumed your genders, Xer knows whats going on.

If we let the CANSOFCOM guys have their uniform and let them be proud, so be it. As long as they can do their scooby-ninja-pathfinder-super hero capabilities.

MCG said:

So its appropriate that a Nav Comm who is now a SF Op or CBRN Op (had to OT into the trade), wears their RCN DEU and former trade accouterments?  You're going to be really upset when they finally get these guys a SF capbadge, for what will likely cost under $500K.

If CANSOF is going to be treated like a L1 Environmental Command, they should be allowed to figure out a DEU and control who wears it. At the end of the day its 2,000 people if you include the supporters, that's a drop in the bucket in cost compared to replacing every Army officer's DEU tunic to go to pips and crowns.

Firmly filed under who cares. Great post ArmyRick, we have much larger things to worry about.

I just want to remind everyone that all the *only $500k, just a drop in the bucket* expenditures look like just that...a mere $500k, on their own. 

Until there is 20 or more of them...and then all added up, its not "just" anything other than money that could/should be used on actually important military...stuff.

Great, I got a new command badge.  What I really needed was a decent effin flashlight so I don't have to buy my own at a PX again...$500k could buy a lot of good, tactical flashlights and decent boots for my Sqn.

I am sure most people don't piss away $40k of their own money, and say to their wife/husband/etc " meh!  overall, its just a drop in the bucket of our lifetime earnings"...

PuckChaser said:
So its appropriate that a Nav Comm who is now a SF Op or CBRN Op (had to OT into the trade), wears their RCN DEU and former trade accouterments?  You're going to be really upset when they finally get these guys a SF capbadge, for what will likely cost under $500K.

If CANSOF is going to be treated like a L1 Environmental Command, they should be allowed to figure out a DEU and control who wears it. ...
So, we’re not talking about the CANSOF DEU.  That’s another thread.  But thanks for the disoriented thoughts anyway.

MCG said:
So, we’re not talking about the CANSOF DEU.  That’s another thread.  But thanks for the disoriented thoughts anyway.

I guess I read too much into the title when it said "other CANSOFCOM, JTF and CSOR fashions".

At the end of the day, who cares what they wear? Or if they're a "service", "environment" or "command" as your argument against them so eloquently started? Good on them for trying to standardize the multicam uniforms I see around base and at CANEX. I think I've seen no less than 3 different versions of the shirts with various velcro or colour patterns. Hardly professional looking, looks like the troops went and bought their own shirts. They used to get a hard time because they don't wear uniforms all the time, but the minute they try to standardize a uniform they're just trying to "stroke egos".

Give me a break.  ::)

I’m with Puckchaser.  In fact I’d be worried if they weren’t trying to be different. 

Navy have their whites, army has everything under the sun like kilts, blackened buttons, forage caps, cross belts, chain mail, patrol dress, red unit identifier badges, cabines, red sashes.  The airforce sure likes to wear flight suits when they can and some are advocating for kilts for them...

If anything the CAF is a big salad of everyone trying to be different yet the same. 

Remius said:
I’m with Puckchaser.  In fact I’d be worried if they weren’t trying to be different. 

Navy have their whites, army has everything under the sun like kilts, blackened buttons, forage caps, cross belts, chain mail, patrol dress, red unit identifier badges, cabines, red sashes.  The airforce sure likes to wear flight suits when they can and some are advocating for kilts for them...

If anything the CAF is a big salad of everyone trying to be different yet the same.

Scarlets. And feather bonnets. All available thru Log Uni.

We shall not rest until we get to go back to the proper dress for some real (cold steel) soldiering.  :)

Back