• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

TASER OPINIONS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now now ZC, nobody forced you to be a police officer, and you should expect all these risks of injury...  :blotto:  strangely enough hypocritical words always said by people who aren't the first in line to help someone.

I saw an MHA call last week where local EMS got the original call and waited until police attended before opening the apartment door.

It was my belief that the Taser was a tool of choice in these situations (where warranted) as an alternative to having to shoot an emotionally disturbed person with a knife, bat, samurai sword or other close-range object.  Less so in a case where it's a rationally thinking bad guy who just wants to hurt/maim/kill you for their own reasons.

Please keep in mind that individuals with knife, sword, gun, weapons in general fall under the death/grievous bodily harm spectrum on the UoF model. In such a case, officers are and should respond with firearms if attacked. Keep in mind safety of self and public, out weigh the 20/20 hind sight of the uneducated masses.

Oh don't worry.  Popular opinion will never change how we do business.  Home at the end of the shift.  That is all that matters. 
Funny, for some reason people like to say "you don't question the boots on the ground" but that couldn't possibly relate to police apparently. 

zipperhead_cop said:
Oh don't worry.  Popular opinion will never change how we do business.  Home at the end of the shift.  That is all that matters. 
Funny, for some reason people like to say "you don't question the boots on the ground" but that couldn't possibly relate to police apparently. 
I find that separation to be very hypocritical .

Don't worry some posters have family members that are LEO's so they know as well if not better than LEO's on how to do the job.  ::)

WR said:
I find that separation to be very hypocritical .

Don't worry some posters have family members that are LEO's so they know as well if not better than LEO's on how to do the job.  ::)

Yep, Vancouver's finest on the job.  Are you telling me I need to be a cop to be qualified enough to say they screwed up?

Get off the "unqualified, stay in your lane" attitude.  You don't need to be a mechanic to know the tire's flat.

I just read that and the only thing PROVEN so far is that the police didn't realize there were 2 suites in the *house. If indeed the complaintent did take the first swing and/or tried to close the door on the police when they had reason to believe that there might be others inside in danger then sometimes one receives what they started.

*One thing I've noticed is that the illegally separated homes in my neighbourhood don't readily throw up that fact on the front door........just saying.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
I just read that and the only thing PROVEN so far is that the police didn't realize there were 2 suites in the *house. If indeed the complaintent did take the first swing and/or tried to close the door on the police when they had reason to believe that there might be others inside in danger then sometimes one receives what they started.

You forgot the other PROVEN thing:  That the Vancouver Police Chief had to not only apologize for the arrest, but had to retract an earlier statement that the man had resisted arrest.

So...if Mr. Wu didn't resist arrest, why does he look like a piece of hamburger?

Occam said:
Yep, Vancouver's finest on the job.  Are you telling me I need to be a cop to be qualified enough to say they screwed up?

Get off the "unqualified, stay in your lane" attitude.  You don't need to be a mechanic to know the tire's flat.

Get off your soap box and listen to what is being said again....

No one is saying what happened in Vancouver was correct, but like it has been said out here several times....let's not pass judgement on something until the whole story is out.

I really don't know what your issue with LEO's are, but you make a disparaging remark then counter it with "I have  family members in law enforcement ". It is like a racist saying I am not a bigot I have a "insert colour" friend.

LEO's are giving you informed, educated and experienced opinions, but you choose not to listen. Instead you try and insert appeared misconduct of 2 officers in an agency of 1,327 sworn officers to bolster any argument you have.

Out here, in this thread contributing are active police officers, correction officers etc. As a LEO I personally spend a good part of my work week training others in use of force, tactics and firearms, so I know what I am speaking about. I do it for a living!

Nothing wrong with having an opinion, like an a**shole, we all have one.

Occam,
He apologised for PC reasons, it's the "in" thing and doesn't officially change anything. He probably IS sorry someone [anyone] got beat up, there is nothing wrong with that.

Any official statements concerning the case would have to be retracted, to protect both sides in any future investigation, or would you rather have whomever is in the wrong 'walk' on account of that?

You should post on subjects you know something about as investigations certainly isn't one of them.

WR said:
Get off your soap box and listen to what is being said again....

No one is saying what happened in Vancouver was correct, but like it has been said out here several times....let's not pass judgement on something until the whole story is out.

The Vancouver Police Chief had to apologize for the arrest, and retract a previous statement that the man had resisted arrest - and yet he looks like a piece of hamburger.  How much more story do you need?  He fell down the stairs to the lockup?  Twelve times?

I really don't know what your issue with LEO's are, but you make a disparaging remark then counter it with "I have  family members in law enforcement ". It is like a racist saying I am not a bigot I have a "insert colour" friend.

Now see, there's the problem - I'll correct your statement.

As I said numerous times before, I don't have a problem with the majority of LEOs, who are law-abiding.  I do have a problem with those in the minority who abuse their authority, and live above the law they're supposed to uphold.  You know why I made the statement that I have family in law enforcement, which was to counter the ludicrous claims that I was anti-police, so I don't know why you keep asking the question.  Had you and others not attacked my support of LEOs (because I pointed out a few instances of police misconduct), I would not have had the need to expound upon why I do hold honest LEOs in high regard.

LEO's are giving you informed, educated and experienced opinions, but you choose not to listen. Instead you try and insert appeared misconduct of 2 officers in an agency of 1,327 sworn officers to bolster any argument you have.

You forgot the Fredericton Police Officer who has been charged with assault.  Would you like me to find more examples of cops who have been convicted of criminal offences?  You have this righteous indignation about you that LEOs can do no wrong - I have pointed out that they can and do.  Why am I being pointed out as the bad guy?

Out here, in this thread contributing are active police officers, correction officers etc. As a LEO I personally spend a good part of my work week training others in use of force, tactics and firearms, so I know what I am speaking about. I do it for a living!

You're a peace officer for the purposes of Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and an extremely limited section of the Criminal Code, but you're not a police officer.  How many times have you been tased?  How many times have you employed the taser?  Are you qualified on the taser?

I didn't just fall off the turnip truck - and I can make educated, fair comment on generalities without having to be an "expert" LEO.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Occam,
He apologised for PC reasons, it's the "in" thing and doesn't officially change anything. He probably IS sorry someone [anyone] got beat up, there is nothing wrong with that.

Any official statements concerning the case would have to be retracted, to protect both sides in any future investigation, or would you rather have whomever is in the wrong 'walk' on account of that?

They arrested the correct person almost immediately after the mistaken arrest.  If they held an honest belief that they had the right person the first time, and beat the crap out of him for resisting arrest applied judicious use of force to effect the arrest, and then later recant their story about him resisting, what bearing does that have on the lawful arrest of the real offender 15 minutes later?  None!  The Chief of Police had no reason to retract the story other than the fact that it wasn't true.  If it came out at a civil trial down the road that he knew Mr. Wu didn't resist arrest, and let the statement stand, there'd be a bunch of heads on the chopping block.  There was nothing "PC" about it.

Now, I'm going to walk away from this thread.  I was raised by a Police Officer, and raised to respect Police Officers - nobody here has any right to question my regard for them.  The ones who stay on the right side of the law, anyway.

Occam,
First I am going to counter one of your many misconceptions about what i do for a living. Yes I work for CBSA, but this is where you are wrong. I do not work at a port of entry, I do not wear a uniform, I will not elaborate on what I do, but the some of the mod's do not know what I do. They can confirm what I am claiming.
I enforce and have full powers in IRPA, the Customs Act, the Criminal Code and 90 + other acts of parliament. My occupation  holds more legislative powers and authorities than a Police Officer.
So get back on the turnip truck where you belong.

I am also going to ignore whatever you have to say concerning anything to do with this subject. You seem to have strong opinions that cannot be changed by reason, experience, knowledge or training. You seem to have an agenda that cannot be wavered.
I am used to dealing with personalities like yours on a daily basis at work; I don't need to deal with them at home (except with my 4yr old).

Here are some websites more suited to your beliefs; Milnet may not be your style.

http://mostlywater.org/montreal_pigs_brutalize_antipolice_brutality_demo
http://antipolicemisconduct.meetup.com/
http://michaelbluejay.com/police/
http://www.policebrutality.info/

Occam said:
Now, I'm going to walk away from this thread.

Not quite so fast dimwit.

You would make a friggin' wonderful Adjudicating Officer, how [a] do you know "they got the correct man"? You do know he is presumed to be innocent?  As are anyone in that whole scenario until convicted, well except the cops in your opinion.
[b} While the number of use of force's may lean in my direction I can assure you WR knows more about giving and receiving tasers than I do.

[c] 'respect'? Methinks not, respect is what I give to anyone on this site who has been on either a two shooting range, or even moreso, those who's hands were tied to a one way range, since I never managed to do either of those jobs.  Look through my 11,000 [I need a life] posts and see if, even once, I questioned the way that they did the job AT THE TIME?

You meanwhile, convict people from reading media and not ever having walked in their shoes......

EDIT: corrected some horrible grammar, I blame night shifts.

This has circled the drain enough. There is nothing positive or redeeming left to say.

Milnet.ca Staff

Topic still LOCKED.  This new info provided by mariomike:

mariomike said:
Hi George:

Tasers have been in the news lately. The topic is locked, but here are some new stories, if you think they would add anything to the discussion.

"RCMP gives cash settlement to Taser victim’s mother"
Apr 2 2010
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/788678--rcmp-gives-cash-settlement-to-taser-victim-s-mother

April. 8, 2010
"Smile! You're on Taser Cam":
http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100406/bc_taser_camera_100406/20100406?hub=BritishColumbia

Ontario: See "Top Stories"
March 30, 2010
"Ontario Sets New Standards For Taser Use":
http://www.mcscs.jus.gov.on.ca/english/default.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back