• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tattoos in the RCMP

ds86

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was just wondering what the take is on tattoos, in the eyes of the RCMP recruiters. Is it something over looked if your test scores are good and if  your integral personality is blatant?
Is there restrictions, such as not below the elbow? Or no restrictions at all.
Ive seen tattoo's on the forearms of older officers, so i was just wondering if its okay, or if times have changed.

I have two on my forearms.  As long as they are not offensive, you should be okay.  We have one guy in our office who has a full sleeve on one arm.  He has taken to (by his own choice) wearing the long sleeve shirt year round.  He says he gets too many questions about it when he is working.

i figured as much....thanks alot for letting me know that though....

Your name does you credit, Irish.  Looking forward to next month... I think we will be there around the 7th.

RCMP has no tattoo policy- word in the brass around depot is that its in the works. Nothing offensive and you should be fine. Ive got tattoss below the elbow. No problem

Screw said:
RCMP has no tattoo policy- word in the brass around depot is that its in the works. Nothing offensive and you should be fine. Ive got tattoss below the elbow. No problem

Well the 'word', according to a recruiter here in Victoria from a couple weeks ago, is you have to sign a waiver stating that you will wear long sleeve shirts all year round.

I would like to speak to whoever that recruiter is.  I have two visible tattoos, and I'll be damned if the RCMP is going to tell me that they have to be covered up by a long sleeve shirt.  They are not offensive tattoos, and I think the RCMP would be walking a fine line if they started saying you would not be hired for having visible tattoos.

Blackhorse7 said:
I would like to speak to whoever that recruiter is.  I have two visible tattoos, and I'll be damned if the RCMP is going to tell me that they have to be covered up by a long sleeve shirt.  They are not offensive tattoos, and I think the RCMP would be walking a fine line if they started saying you would not be hired for having visible tattoos.

Yeah I understand what you're saying and I agree with you.  This regulation falls in line with other police forces as well. I know for Vancouver, during my interview my visible tattoos came up and they told me I'd have to wear long sleeves because: A) You're supposed to present a professional and conservative image. B) In cities, certain people automatically link tattoos with gangs...etc. This is exactly what was told to me.  This is sounding like it's all new policy across the board because last year when I filled out my Van PD forms there was nothing asking about tattoos.  After being deferred for one year and having my file re-opened, I had to fill out new paperwork and lo-and-behold: tattoo questions.

Nope. Your recruiter is wrong(unless you are refering to VPD, if so I cant speak for them, although they have nothing to do with, nor do they influence us) The ask about tattoos because during your medical you have to explain them all. You sign no waiver and the "word" on the coming policy would be regarding NEW tattoos. Old ones would be grandfathered. BUT again its not even in writing yet, so it means nothing and its a rumour. Much like the line you were handed by your recruiter.

Screw.

Screw said:
Nope. Your recruiter is wrong(unless you are refering to VPD, if so I cant speak for them, although they have nothing to do with, nor do they influence us)

Yeah, I was referring to the RCMP recruiter and what she said about that waiver.   

First I or blackhorse have heard about it. Ill be damned if I wear long sleeves and my tie year round.

As I've been told, the only tattoo policy for the RCMP, is nothing vulgar, racial, obscene, sexual. If you question it, then you shouldn't have it. And, I usually try to jump in on a few info sessions, even though you only really need one. A few months back, a gentleman had some celtic work on his wrists. The constable doing the session said it would be absolutely fine, as he knows members who have simliar work done in similar places.

A couple of weekends ago, I seen a member who had tattoos on his forearms, and he wasn't wearing longsleeve shirt. I don't think it hurts professionalism at all.

I've been reading nothing but stories saying "Yes you're allowed to have tattoos as long as they aren't offensive" and "No you can't"

But this year at the fireworks in downtown Vancouver I saw two RCMP Officers standing in the street talking to each other and one of them was a shorter guy with two tattoos on both of his forearms. They were both writing. So that rules out the 'No, you can't have tattoos showing' argument. I don't know, I'm just somewhat worried about when I apply next year that they'll see me and reject me because I have two tattoos on my forearms.

I have

Veritas and Aequitas which translate to "Truth" and "Justice" that I got awhile ago before joining the Army. I don't think these would be offensive, and if anything I think they are quite relevant to the job. I don't know if any of you are currently serving in the RCMP but any insight regarding this matter would be great.

Thanks

"I have

Veritas and Aequitas which translate to "Truth" and "Justice" that I got awhile ago before joining the Army. I don't think these would be offensive, and if anything I think they are quite relevant to the job. I don't know if any of you are currently serving in the RCMP but any insight regarding this matter would be great."

Dude, I know a Surrey mbr (Ex RCR) with the exact same tattoos on the backs of each arm!!!  ;D

Don't fret as long as you don't have skinhead on your knuckles you'll be OK!! Besides during the interview you should be wearing at least a shirt and tie, preferably a suit or sport coat! Be able to explain the tats if they ask!!

Noneck

Strangely enough, too know a member with the same tatoos on his forearms... a sig op...

Just a Sig Op said:
Strangely enough, too know a member with the same tatoos on his forearms... a sig op...

LOL...I think I know who that is, JASO, and it ain't me!

I found it kind of funny..  between my first PARE and my second, I got a tattoo on my shoulderblade...  Believe it or not, my Recruiter actually NOTICED it!  It's of course in a spot that can't cause trouble, and is very tasteful and appropriate, so wouldn't cause an issue anyways..  ::)

Back