• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tech Course speed question

Reserve Blair

Inactive
Reaction score
I am taking a Basic tech course, just MAPS and Computer, so the CP or basic tech (part 2). We are doing it on weekends and it was our second week now. I was just wondering how fast people can compute MAPS data for the guns from the time you get info from the observer.

I was also wondering how much faster it is to compute firing data with a computer? I would assume a lot faster but I was just wondering about how much?

And if anyone has advice for me, about this course.

thanks

Today's ballistic computers are extremely fast. In the old days, it was possible for a Tech to beat the computer. Today....I very much doubt it. The programs currently in use are totally different. They initially produce map data, then make corrections for non-standard conditions, some actually still fly the trajectory, then display the results in gun data....all of this in a matter of seconds.

On the other hand, you...the soft-handed Technician in the nice, warm CP, have to:

a. react to the Observer's Sequence of Orders;

b. plot the target location;

c. using the GPO's Protractor, produce a bearing and range to the target;

d. convert this map data to gun data incorporating TFT's/GFT's and Met/MV corrections;

e. and enter all of this on a GPOT Proforma.

Once the initial round is fired, you have to:

a. place the Target Grid Correction Template over the target;

c. scribe the Observer/Target direction;

d. rotate the Target Grid Correction template to the direction ordered; and

e. fasten the template onto the map board and awaitt a correction.

I won't go into the drill for "Fire For Effect" which necessitates distribution of fire, application of CP&FC data, and so on.

However, a Tech that is FAST on MAPS is worth his/her weight in gun grease. Remember, if you are using MAPS, it is because the computers are down. Somebody up ther at the "sharp end" still needs rounds on the ground. They are not prepared to listen to computer excuses. Therefore, practice all you can. Take the kit home and work at it. Familiarize yourself with the TFTs. Know what is found in Table F Column 5 etc. PLOT....PLOT....PLOT

Before you know it, you'll be some kind of real Tech !!!

Good Luck !!

Ubique

Quote,

On the other hand, you...the soft-handed Technician in the nice, warm CP,
However, a Tech that is FAST on MAPS is worth his/her weight in gun grease.

Stop, MrGnr27, you're making me blush.......
;)

Thanks

After another weekend I think this stuff is starting to make a lot of sence.
Another reason why is because we have a Sgt. on the course too ao anytime we find out something new he explains what happens to the round or to the gun, so it makes a lot more sence.

I find it a little funny though that the regular force spends so much time on this and in total we'll be spending 20 days to learn the same stuff. (mind you not as practiced at it as the regular force but still able to do the job)

Anyway thanks for all your posts

Back