• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Telegram CEO arrested upon entering France

Is Russia like China in that they don’t recognize their citizens becoming citizens of other countries? 🤷‍♂️

Russian law on citizenship is heavily influenced by its Soviet heritage. When the USSR collapsed, ethnic Russians were scattered throughout the entire Soviet Union, and a large number of ethnic minorities from the other federations were residing in Russia.

Partially as a result of this, Russia permits dual citizenship, but it's somewhat complex in that they allow dual citizenship with some countries and not others. To a certain extent, they encourage it - one of the stunts they have used to enhance their claims to Donetsk and Luhansk is to permit Ukrainian citizens there to easily acquire Russian citizenship without having to renounce their existing citizenship.

They also permit people to renounce Russian citizenship.

Telegram, as in the app? I don't know a lot about it admittedly.
Same. I've really only heard about it in the media, especially referenced as 'an app where some videos get posted' - and I'd assume there is a private message feature...

Don't know much else about it.

I know the CEO has been a huge proponent of free speech, and has resisted the attempts of various governments to censor his platform. But there is a big difference in being a proponent of free speech and refusing to censor content, and turning a blind eye to blatant criminality of the worst kind...and I suspect it's the latter they are using as the context for his arrest.

But this guy isn't stupid, not by a long shot. I'm with Bri on this, I think it's something to watch also...

I really am the last " what is the internet for $200, Alex" kind of guy.

My first thought when I read the topic header was "Why would France arrest the head of an English newspaper ?"

(Yes, I now know it's The Telegraph) Sigh,...sometimes it hurts being stupid......
As a kid I delivered the Toronto version but I'm pretty sure that was different.

With Russia now looking for alternatives for their military communications, the ability of western SigInt to intercept and read their day to day may be damaged.

Back