• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Terrorism in London England: What would we do if something like this happened in Toronto?

Vigilant

Inactive
Reaction score
Crap, what the heck would we do if something like this happened in Toronto?

Vigilant said:
Crap, what the heck would we do if something like this happened in Toronto?
Considering that Toronto called in the Army to deal with the aftermath of a snowstorm, I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Horse_Soldier said:
Considering that Toronto called in the Army to deal with the aftermath of a snowstorm, I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

That was totally different.

Vigilant said:
That was totally different.
Um no - it is an example of the difficulties a city like Toronto (and by extention the country) has in dealing with unexpected events that overwhelm the resources in place.  Imagine a city unable to deal with a true canadian event like a snowstorm try to deal with a couple of bombings in the financial district - maybe Union Station as well.  We don't have much experience of terrorist attacks against infrastructure in this country, so what experience we have with natural disasters will have to serve as a proxy for our ability to respond, and I for one am not optimistic that we even have adequate plans in place, let alone the resources to deal with the aftermath in a coordinated and effective manner.

Hate to say it .... but it is going to take an attack on us before Canadians in general wake up from the delusional dream we're in and realize we're in just as much dangre as Spain, London, America - everywhere else pretty much.

Seems we suffer the "Athenian syndrome" we rest on our laurels while the enemy gets stronger and bolder and at the last possible second we finally decide to do something. Usually by then it's too late.

Horse_Soldier said:
PFFT

I just sprayed my pepsi all over this screen thru my nose when i read that, haha ... ouch...

Don't blame us because the "Appliance Salesman" wanted a good photo op.  I was working the entire time of the storm.  TFS helped EMS get their ambulances through snow clogged streets.
Toronto has come a long way since then.  We are training a HUSAR team.  We have a combined CBRN team with TFS, EMS and Toronto Police.
We just need some politicians with a backbone to spend the training money and then use their own resources.

i read some of the comments posted on that CBC site

why do Canadians think that we're safe from this? didn't the terrorist threaten Canada to, so we didn't go to Iraq but we played a major role in Afghanistan.

I've thought about it, and i think we are just as likely to be a target as anyone else...even if were not a target isn't it better to be safe then sorry?

i think Canada needs to spend a little more cash into defense and offense, the CF needs to be better equipped and so does the RCMP.

We are and we're not.  Canada is so small on the world stage, and we matter so little, that we're not a likely target...we wouldn't be as big a media hit as if they hit New York.  Given that most people outside the country can't tell us apart from Americans (when we ourselves can, mostly)....why would they choose to hit our soft underbelly?

Sure, they could.  Sure we're not safe, and we're not prepared to handle it...but would it be as big a world story as New York or London?

The enemy couldn't give a flying rats arse about media stories, all they want is to inflict mass casualties on innocent women and children. Canada is a prime target and it is only a matter of time.

On the plus side, none of those missing 'Suitcase Nukes' the Russians and the Saudis say the terrorists have has popped up.

Yet.

Tom

Canadas a good target, because were so close to the states, but the enemy uses the media to inform their possible recurits of their activitys..

i think Canada is a good target, and we should start beefing up the CF....if anything Britain is gonna ask us to help them out, and i think we should, Canada and the UK were always good buddies...or at least i think they are

Horse_Soldier said:
Sadly, the unwashed masses remain in frighteningly obtuse denial, if the comments posted on Propaganda Canada aka the CBC are any indication
http://www.cbc.ca/news/viewpoint/yourspace/london-blasts.html

NDP Leader Jack Layton:
Like all Canadians, I am repulsed by the violence we have witnessed today in London and express our deepest condolences to the families of the victims and to all those affected.

I join with Prime Minister Blair, Prime Minister Martin and the other G-8 leaders in strongly condemning these acts of terrorism.  We will not allow it to undermine Canadian society, our institutions or our beliefs in democracy, human rights, tolerance, and equality.  Indeed, we must go forward today with greater determination to build a world that embraces these ideals.

As evidence of that resolve, I urge the leaders gathered in Gleneagles to press on with their stated agenda to address global climate change and to meeting our commitments to fight global poverty.

Once more, our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.
http://www.ndp.ca/page/1458

Citizens from Alberta were kind enough to inflict a former Nova Scotian on an unsuspecting
Canadian electorate, Federal Minister Anne MacLellan MP - thanks so much. This silly lady is
responsible for a great deal of the security for the nation's harbours, airports and borders -
MacLellan would never have been elected in Nova Scotia, so she learned to spell "Alberta"
without moving her lips, and appeared in Ottawa like the ghost of Christmas Past - good God!
MacLeod

mover1 said:
The PM and his gang are in Scotland right now for the G-8 summit. I hope that this shakes their boots a bit and gives them a wake up call to start taking this stuff seriously, and front the cash instead of just double talk.
But then Ann Maclellan will open her mouth. Jack Layton will want the money for some far out social plan. And the Consevatives will try to vote it down in non- confidence.

"There is no specific threat to Canadians, but we have to be prepared."

-Anne McLellan, minister of public safety

"I join with Prime Minister Blair, Prime Minister Martin and the other G-8 leaders in strongly condemning these acts of terrorism. We will not allow it to undermine Canadian society, our institutions or our beliefs in democracy, human rights, tolerance, and equality

As evidence of that resolve, I urge the leaders gathered in Gleneagles to press on with their stated agenda to address global climate change and to meeting our commitments to fight global poverty."

Jack Layton, leader of the New Democratic Party

Interesting (scary) fact.  Of the 6 nations on Bin Ladens list we are the only one's that haven't been hit yet.

edit I guess Italy hasn't either according to this:
http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1120783649028_27?hub=topstories

Im not sure that Canada will see attacks like Europe and the US. Im thinking we in Canada are much like mexico, in that we are a neighbor to the USA that can afford a relatively easy passage into the states. If we are attacked that would tighten up the relatively easy access to the states. Dont get me wrong, our border police are doing their best but when blank passports are as easy to get as boogers at a day care and our blessed politicians are too busy fighting over the grewal tapes, whos watching the horizon for bad guys.

Im sorry to say but if there were a terrorist attack on Canada, even if it meant thousands of lives, I cant see our government making any drastic defense changes. Look around your communities. People these days have never had to hide their families from threats or spent weeks living in basements. The idea "it cant happen here" is far too common. IMHO the Canadian government is playing the quiet bystander to world terror and is too scared to make a commitment.

I liken it to the gulf war. USA had total air superiority, Canada sends a few planes. The fifth fleet are watching the waterways, we send some old ships fitted with guns from the museum. How about instead of mopping up after the brawl is over, we build up our armed forces and take a stand against global terror no matter what the result might be.

a friend read/heard that the only two places untouched my terror has been Canada, and italy.... and there are reports of large number of terrorist cells hiding in Canada. we're next GOD forbid  :threat:

where would get hit, i think TO, and Ottawa are the only cities that make sense.

I am betting on OIL in Alberta - or something to do with the freshwater...

It will be big - it will be ugly and 99% of Canadians won't even know why.

Back