• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The 2008 Canadian Election- Merged Thread

dapaterson said:
Something merely anecdotal,but it may be a sign of a deeper malaise.

Traditionally, jobs like erecting posters along the roadside are handed off to the more junior members of the campaign staff.  You know, the young volunteers not yet jaded or obsessed with power.  A party without such low-level workers is indeed in trouble.

Imagine my surprise this evening when I saw a former cabinet minister, all by himself, pounding stakes into the ground so he could erect signs for his wife's bid.  If the Liberals cannot find volunteers in Ottawa Centre and are resorting to having a former MND, David Collenette, putting up posters all by himself, there may be deeper problems within the Liberal party that this election will bring out.

More anecdotal sign evidence from the same riding (Ottawa Centre): I just walked from my home (a condo on the West edge of the downtown core) to my doctor's office in Chinatown. In my neighbourhood (a mix of highrise and new, lowrise (stacked 'townhouses') condos and single family homes - some occupied by seniors/owners and others by young renters - some of which are being 'collected' for future condo development) the signs were relatively few and far between but evenly mixed, about:

Cons: 2
Greens: 1
Libs: 2
NDP: 1

As I got into Chinatown the situation changed dramatically to:

Cons: 2
Greens: 0
Libs: 3
NDP: 15+

(And that does not count the (10+) Chinese food stores, bakeries and restaurants that have signs for all three main parties (but NO Green signs, at all, anywhere in Chinatown and I looked closely on the walk back home).)

I'm not surprised that our NDP MP (Paul Dewar) leads in Chinatown. Our City Councillor is hard working and popular, a good constituency 'ward heeler,' and a NDP stalwart who is working hard on Paul's behalf. But I am surprised at the poor showing of both the Conservative and Liberal candidates:

Brian McGarry, the Conservative, is a well known local businessman with a fairly high profile; he is the first really credible candidate the Conservatives have found in years and years. His poor performance in Chinatown is not too surprising: he made his money in the funeral business and many, many superstitious Asians - especially hyper-superstitious Chinese - would not want to even talk to someone who dealt with death, very bad luck!

But Penny Collenette is a Liberal STAR in a riding with strong Liberal roots and lots of Liberal workers - at least there should be lots of Liberal workers. I'm surprised she hasn't plastered the area with signs, other Liberals have done so in past elections campaigns. I wonder: no money to buy signs or no volunteers to put them up?

Harper represents the middle class
FEDERAL ELECTION Posted 5 hours ago
  Article Link

I have to chuckle a bit when I read about this so-called Liberal front bench strength.

Let's begin with Bob Rae. He's the same guy who was a total disaster as our premier. During his term in office, he doubled Ontario's debt from $50 billion to $100 billion. Additionally, our province's civil servants, including teachers, municipal employees and OPSEU workers still shudder at his Rae Days. They haven't forgiven him to this day.

Rae did more to cause our doctor shortage in Ontario than anyone else, by reducing the number of medical students in Ontario's universities during his tenure. When he was booted out of office in the mid-1990s, his approval rating was around 10 per cent.

Now on to Ken Dryden. Before switching jobs to become a Liberal politician, he was the president of the Toronto Maple Leaf hockey team. He was a failure in that job before being released by the team's owners.

And with respect to Michael Ignatieff, he loved Canada so much, he spent most of the past 35 years living in the United States.

So much for this great Liberal team! I could barely wait for Paul Martin to become prime minister but, unfortunately, he turned out to be a very weak leader. However, I voted for him and Lloyd St. Amand in the 2006 election.

This time I will be supporting Stephen Harper and Phil McColeman. Harper looks and talks like a leader. He makes me proud to be a Canadian when I watch him during meetings with other world leaders.

In my opinion, he represents the middle class of this country better than any of the other parties and leaders.

Art Stanbridge

Brantford
End

Public Works cracks down on contracts
Department monitoring deals during election campaign in effort to thwart any controversy
Kathryn May, The Ottawa Citizen Published: Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Article Link

OTTAWA - In an unprecedented clampdown, Public Works and Government Services Canada is vetting all federal purchasing to ensure only contracts for "essential or urgent" goods and services are issued during the rest of the election campaign.

Public Works, the government's procurement arm, has become more vigilant in the past week, screening all contracts being tendered or awarded to avoid any deal, gaffe or misstep that could somehow spill into the hustings and affect the election.

Contracts are still being posted on MERX, the government's online bidding system, but the department has been ordered to closely monitor all contracts and amendments that are being posted on MERX and Contracts Canada. Any contracts considered "essential" are vetted by a team of senior bureaucrats. The final word rests with Deputy Minister François Guimont.
More on link

milnews.ca said:

Most of these are normal O & M items within the yearly BCEO budget's. The esitmated cost of the item dictates that they are processed through Defence Construction Canada.

Kevin Libin: Liberals eye military budget to fund campaign pledges
Posted: September 24, 2008, 11:33 AM by Kelly McParland
Article Link

Someone in the Liberal camp isn’t happy with the party’s new platform, it seems. On Monday, just hours before it released its official platform --  "Action Plan for the 21st Century -- the party held a conference call, an “insider briefing,” for party workers and activists. In it, MP and finance critic John McCallum explained how the Liberals would manage to afford its spending promises.

Somebody in on the call taped the conversation. Then they leaked it. Blogger Steve Janke, who put the recording on his website. In an interesting study in contrasts, McCallum made some frank comments to insiders that didn’t show up later  when unveiling the platform to the public.

As CBC’s Political Bytes website reported, McCallum admitted in not as many words that the party did not, as supporters had apparently expected, really have a national housing strategy, but rather had some targets for upping affordable housing units. “Well, I suppose you could call it a national housing strategy . . .” McCallum said -- and you can almost hear him shrugging. Another voice elicited laughs when he chimed in "We definitely have a strategy,” after which it sounds like another participant cried: “Thank God!” When asked what the whole platform’s package will cost, McCallum first gives the official answer -- that it’ll cost “$15.5 billion dollars over five years”-- but added, “that's a little bit misleading,” without elaborating on exactly how Canadians were being be misled.

What the CBC didn’t mention may be a more interesting revelation about how the Liberals wish to reconstitute the federal deficit contingency reserve (to cushion the government against slipping into the red): a total of $12 billion over four years. The former Liberal cabinet minister and Bay Street economist is careful to explain that the party is “committed to find $12 billion over four years through more efficient delivery of programs to Canadians. . . If we cant find savings of that magnitude than we’re not good economic managers.”

You’d certainly have to be: $12 billion is a lot of money to squeeze out by just delivering programs with more efficiency. At least one Liberal thought so too, and asked McCallum for some examples of where those “efficiencies” might be found, or more bluntly, “what will we be accused of cutting?”

Here’s the interesting part: McCallum (a former defence minister, by the way) suggests that one of the first things he’d tighten spending on is the Canadian Forces. “I think the defence budget in recent years has gone up at a very dramatic rate and that for us to continue . . . without further ramping up is responsible, particularly at a time of shortage of money.” (Arts funding, however, will get more money from the Liberals).

Military cuts, of course, have long been top on the Liberals’ hit list when it comes to finding money for, as McCallum put it “new priorities.” The military was “burned out during years of Liberal cutbacks,” as the party’s own Senator Colin Kenny once put it. Canada’s budget for national defence was lacerated by 23% between ’93 and ’98 as Liberals closed bases, cut staff and cancelled equipment upgrades. Whether you’re Liberal or Tory, it’s hard to dispute that Canadian troops in Afghanistan have been dealing with some of the repercussions of those decisions with, among other things, a lack of transport aircraft.

That Liberal era of military shrinkage was, arguably, a different time: Canada was in need of emergency financial intervention with out-of-control debts and deficits, and the social democracies of the world had anyway decided to cash in their peace dividends, convinced Huntington’s end of history had come to pass. Soft power was then the Liberals’ calling card.
More on link

E.R. Campbell said:
No, I think not. Those promises total about $8.9 Billion, right? But, the government claims that they (at least some (many? just a few?) of them) are already included in spending plans.

I think it is fair to say that at least some of those promises are new and that the Tories should be 'accused' of promising something like $10 Billion - still less than half of the least big spender (the Greens) amongst the other contenders.

Of course, I expect that IF the Liberals are elected the first things they will say is: "Oops! The Tories cooked the books! Things are worse than we were led to believe! We cannot keep our promises! Sorry ..." 

Well according to the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, the Government spent or promised $19,000,000,000.00 between June and the election call.

Link here http://www.taxpayer.com/pdf/Conservative_Spending.pdf

Rodahn said:
Well according to the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, the Government spent or promised $19,000,000,000.00 between June and the election call.

Link here http://www.taxpayer.com/pdf/Conservative_Spending.pdf

Just a quick perusal, didn't add anything up or really study it, but:

It looks like mostly to federal infastructure projects and upkeep - what they, or any sitting gov't, are supposed to do. Unless you want disasters of federal bridges falling down at rush hour.

Shitloads to the arts & heritage - guess those current whining artists and Dionites just didn't get their hand in my pocket fast enough.

Pretty large bail out to the tobacco farmers - Federal and provincial gov'ts ran them out of business, so that much, at least, is owed them.

What is in that report is nothing more than what it costs for ANY party to run this country.

Let's not try make it out to be more than it really is.

recceguy you are right....the annual budget is how many Billions? This just looks like normal budget spending. You are also right about a whole wack going to Arts and I see ALCOA in there like a dirty shirt quite often.....for all the whining from the Atlantic Politicians, I saw no newscasts that any of that $$ was refused.... (ps: I don't care about them getting grants, programs, etc, just don't whine that you are being hard done by.....eg: Arts)

Kirkhill said:
Budgeted or unbudgeted Rodahn?

A very good question, I don't really know. I'm assuming that the additional 8.9 billion (that had the taxpayers federation up in arms) that was announced just prior to the election call is included in the 19 billion. I performed a google search, but could only find figures on the 2007 budget.

There also appears to be quite a bit of funding for the Arts, which has become an election issue.

Rodahn said:
There also appears to be quite a bit of funding for the Arts, which has become an election issue.

...but that funding was paid out before Dion & Layton decided to try and say the CPC didn't give a hoot about the arts. In other words, it wasn't\isn't REALLY an issue. Just rabble rousing and mud slinging by a couple that can't stand on merit and accomplishment. Trying to create a crisis and divert attention from their incompetence.

Our unit was asked to participate in an Op Connect tasking in NS which occured today...there were to be many school children and of course adults at this event today...so in preparation to complete this tasking I went to CFRC Halifax and was going to acquire promotional items to give to the children...as we do with most taskings similar to this one...

The staff at CFRC said that due to the upcoming fall election we were not able to hand any of the usual promotional items out...I found this odd...and was told there was a CANFORGEN out re:same...I have not been able to find said CANFORGEN and wondered if anyone else has been told the same?

HL

recceguy said:
...but that funding was paid out before Dion & Layton decided to try and say the CPC didn't give a hoot about the arts. In other words, it wasn't\isn't REALLY an issue. Just rabble rousing and mud slinging by a couple that can't stand on merit and accomplishment. Trying to create a crisis and divert attention from their incompetence.

Or before the PM announced that the CPC was going to cut the funding 45 million....

Another day, another set of polls:

Ekos says:

--------------------
CONSERVATIVES DOMINATE ENGLISH CANADA; DOGFIGHT IN QUEBEC

[OTTAWA – September 24, 2008] – The Conservative Party now has a lead in every major region of the country except Quebec, where they are competitive outside Montreal. They have formidable strength in British Columbia, especially outside central Vancouver, and in the rest of the West. They lead in Ontario, by a wide margin outside of Toronto, and are ahead, if only barely and intermittently in the Atlantic provinces.

Increasingly, the Conservative lead over the other parties seems “locked in”, and it would take a major event to disrupt their path to victory now. Liberal support also seems to be gelling (at a much lower level), though there is considerable volatility still among the NDP and the Greens. There is some sign that the growth of the Greens that was a striking element in last week’s story has begun to plateau.

Unless one opposition party emerges more strongly from the pack, which again would take a major breach in the dynamics of the campaign, it seems that the Tories have a prospect at winning a majority, despite their inability so far to break past the 40% barrier. Whether non-Tory voters are aware of it or not, two unusual factors give Harper an excellent shot at a majority: 1) the dispersion of their vote among four parties, and 2) the size of the lead they have opened over the second place Liberals.

So, lets look at some of the regional races. Our large sample sizes give us an excellent picture into what is happening in the larger provinces.

In British Columbia, the Conservatives have established a commanding lead. The Green Party, which was threatening to make it a four-way race in the province just a few days ago has now faded, leaving the Liberals and NDP duking it our for second spot. However, this broad provincial picture disguises the urban/rural split that we dealt with yesterday. The NDP is in a powerful position in central Vancouver. The further you move from downtown “Van”, however, the greater the dominance of the Conservatives.

In Ontario, there has also been a bit of a Green fade, but here to the apparent benefit of the Liberals. That has kept the Liberals within striking distance of the leading Conservatives in the province, but like B.C., the provincial picture disguises the urban/rural reality. The Liberals dominate central Toronto, but the further you get from the CN Tower, the more competitive the Conservatives are. In fact, outside the GTA, they are dominant. The NDP has regional concentrations, of course, that will win it seats.

In Quebec, we see continuing strength for the Bloc Québécois, who in our soundings are running strong – well ahead of the other parties. The reason the race seems so competitive in the province is that, while the BQ is a significant force in most of Quebec (with some exceptions in predominantly non-francophone areas), it faces different opponents in the city of Montreal and the other parts of the province. The Conservatives, who are their principal opponents outside Montreal have actually sagged somewhat since the race began. The Liberals seem set to capture seats again in the Montreal area, but the NDP and even the Greens may also be competitive enough in some seats to seriously complicate the Liberals’ hopes.

BQ: 9% (+1)
Cons: 37% (+1)
Greens: 11% (-1)
Libs: 24% (-1)
NDP: 19% (NC)
--------------------

Harris-Decima says:

Conservatives Up 13

BQ:  9% (+1)
Cons: 37% (NC)
Greens: 12% (+1)
Libs: 24% (NC)
NDP: 16% (-1)

In Ontario, the Conservatives have 37%, the Liberals 33%, the NDP 15% and the Greens 12%.

In Quebec, the BQ shows some signs of recovering lost ground and stands at 37%, the Conservatives follow with 23%, the Liberals at 16%, the NDP 14% and the Greens at 9%.

In Atlantic Canada, the Liberals have 35%, the NDP 28%, the Conservatives 26% and the Green Party 8%.

In British Columbia, the Conservatives lead with 37%, followed by the NDP with 26%, the Greens at 19% and the Liberals at 15%.

--------------------

Nanos says:

Tories lead by 11, Liberal slide continues

BQ: 9% (+1)
Cons: 37% (-1)
Greens: 7% (+1)
Libs: 26% (-1)
NDP: 21% (NC)

--------------------

What does it mean? Nothing.

Nothing has changed because all day-by-day movement is well within the statistical margins of error.

Neither the Conservatives gaffes  nor the Arts Funding issues is making any difference. Their votes stays, pretty much, where it was when the election started and where it was when we last voted in 2006. But the poor Liberal campaign and Dion, per se and/or something else are doing something to them – they are down fairly dramatically from Day 1 of the campaign and they are 4 to 6 points (statistically significant numbers) below their 2006 support levels (30%). The NDP is up from the start and from 2006; the Greens and NDP are about level. But even the shifts (-5 for the Liberals and +4 for the NDP are not very large – apply the margins of error and we’re taking, maybe, 1 or 2 points, either way, for each of them.

It's fascinating watching the statistics and the commentary roll in - it's like watching rats abandon a sinking Liberal ship.  Every news report talks about how, desperate for momentum, the latest campaign schtick fails miserably.

I dunno - perhaps the Liberals are reaping their just reward for opting to take up an anti-Bush stance which gave set them up to veer off to an adventure in the left; they were only preyed on by NDP/Green party wolves once they did that.

E.R. Campbell said:
I think one, even one who is not a Liberal partisan, can make a very good case - and make it very easily - that neither "radical Islam" as an the enemy nor the "war against terror" make a whole lot of sense for anyone, especially not Canada.
Until Canadians learn the hard way. Just ask any New Yorker.
E.R. Campbell said:
The Liberal platform is very well crafted. Canadians do not like the military;
How would they feel if they weren't in the US's defense shadow?

JBG said:
Until Canadians learn the hard way. Just ask any New Yorker.How would they feel if they weren't in the US's defense shadow?
Yes...totally agree JBG...apparently the loss of the 3400 Canadians in NY...has been quickly forgotten and I wonder as well if the same will have to happen on Canadian soil for people to wake to f&$# up!!!!

HL

Hot Lips said:
Yes...totally agree JBG...apparently the loss of the 3400 Canadians in NY...has been quickly forgotten and I wonder as well if the same will have to happen on Canadian soil for people to wake to f&$# up!!!!

HL

34 Canadians, right?  (Unless there is a BIGGER conspiracty to 9/11!!!)

Hot Lips said:
HL
Ummm..... WTF - where do you get 3400 canadians ???

At least 24 Canadians died or are presumed to have died in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the U.S. according to families and a list of the victims obtained from Foreign Affairs.

They came from across Canada, and most of them lived and worked in New York.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/sep11/cdncasualties.html

Almost 3,000 people (of all nationalities) died in the attacks on the World Trade Centre

Back