• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Battle of Arghandab - June 2008

People tend to be surprised when I say that.. I actually had a very rewarding experience.  I went in with a positive outlook, and it continued the whole tour.  Yeah sure they tried to blow me up in Arghandab but I got promoted a couple of days later.. so it balanced out.. hehe

Bzzliteyr said:
Man I miss that place...

Me too, actually. 

I never felt more alive than the time I spent there... even when a lot of it was spent under heavy fire (and not just from friends...)

The sweet smell of the cool wind blowing across the river from the Pashmul Valley and up Masum Ghar.  The only cool wind in the whole damn country... at least the parts that I saw the few weeks before. 
That valley is (was) beautiful.  Even when we went for our little jaunt into Pashmul; I remember the sweet smell of the grape fields (and probably the poppies and pot as well); it was enough to make me wish I could have been there without the gear, or the fighting... just to enjoy the surroundings.

Even when the fighting started, as odd as it sounds, I felt alive.  I felt as though I had reached the pinnacle of my trade (INF) and was doing my job well... Fighting and winning (for a while anyway).

Probably the best and worst memories of my life come from that little hunk of land.  I don't know what I would give up to go back, but I would give a lot.

And even though it sounds bizarre; If I could, I'd want to go back right now... It would feel like finishing what I started.

Bzzliteyr said:
People tend to be surprised when I say that.. I actually had a very rewarding experience.  I went in with a positive outlook, and it continued the whole tour.  Yeah sure they tried to blow me up in Arghandab but I got promoted a couple of days later.. so it balanced out.. hehe

I hear ya.  I tried my best to go into it the same way.

Even though I did get all blowed up, I still have some strong positive memories about that place...  some I've shared, and some I keep just for me.

And I guess I can say that feeling lasted through out my tour as well... though it wasn't quite as long as yours... 
I commend you for keeping up the positive through out the tour.

And as for all the current goings on;  It's been said here (all over the forums) many times; every time the TB have tried a head on with coalition forces (specifically Canada) they've been fed their asses on a silver platter, and throat punched for their trouble.  I have no doubt that this time will be no different.

For all those involved in the operations; Give 'em hell. 
And for those set to go over soon; Don't let up.

I've spoken with a close relative and he says the same: when he's under fire, it's exhilarating.

More at The Torch, by Babbling Brooks firing at the Globe and Mail:

They just can't resist reaching for the sensational
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2008/06/they-just-cant-resist-reaching-for.html

Mark
Ottawa

I'm hoping on one hand that my close relative is on HLTA, however knowing that person, they would have tried their hardest to stay and get some.

I just wish I was there with 2VP.

Bzzliteyr said:
Man I miss that place...

Same here dude... well I do and I don't...

It sucked being away from the girlfriend and cold beer and by the end of the summer I swore that I'd never step into direct sunlight again, but there's more to it then that.

Life in Kandahar is simple. Wake up, roll up sleeping bag, brush teeth, shoot when told. You shut off emotionally, and the rest is low stress. You get into the swing of things, hang out with buddies, weapons maintenance, watch movies. No bootbands, no shaving, no one to put on a show for. You speak your mind and your CoC knows you well enough that its not just some dumbass Cpl running his mouth. No one bothered me for anything. I took care of my LAV turret, the comms, and it's weapons systems, my driver took care of his AOR, and we both took care of the back. We had our jobs and we were trusted to do it - there were few if any problems. Outside the wire, no one gets on your ass about the silly army things that arn't important anyways.

It was living life one day at a time. Ahhhhh memories....

You all do realize you are letting out the worst kept secret of combat vets, don't you.....

For me it was 40 years ago, and some things are like they happened yesterday.....now you know the secret of the Legions, etc  ;D

Dog Walker said:
On Mike Duffy Live there was a report from Alex Panette from Canadian Press which gave more detail of what happened. The Afghan troops tried to make a crossing of the Arghandab River at an exposed location and came under fire from Taliban hiding in the tree line. The Afghan troops had to make a hasty retreat with the aid of smoke drop from helicopters. They were later able to cross the river at a more protected location.

That would be a withdrawal.......similar to Op Medusa I believe.

Australian cameraman wounded in Afghanistan
Patrick Walters, National security editor | June 20, 2008
Article Link

FORMER SBS cameraman Jamie Kidston has been shot and wounded in Afghanistan's Kandahar province as Afghan and NATO forces continue to battle Taliban insurgents across the country's southern provinces.

Kidston, 36, who now works as a civilian cameraman for NATO, received a single gunshot wound in the forearm while filming with a Canadian military training team in the Arghandab district, just outside Kandahar city.

An International Security Assistance Force spokesman, Major David Harris, said Kidston's injuries were not life-threatening and he was operated on at the main ISAF hospital at Kandahar airfield yesterday.

"His condition is stable. He may require repatriation to Australia for further treatment," Major Harris told The Australian last night.

The incident was the second occasion this year in which Australian journalists have been wounded in Afghanistan.

In April, Stephen Dupont, 41, a freelance photographer, and journalist Paul Raffaele were lucky to survive a suicide bomber attack in a village in the eastern province of Nangarhar. The blast killed 15 people.

Raffaele received shrapnel wounds to the arm, shoulder and head and Dupont escaped with minor cuts.

Five Australian soldiers have been killed in Afghanistan, including four since October.

In recent days, there has been renewed fighting around Kandahar following a mass jail breakout last week in the city that allowed several hundred Taliban prisoners to escape from Sarposa prison.

Afghan and Canadian-led NATO forces have battled insurgents holed up in fruit groves surrounding villages in the Arghandab district 15km north of Kandahar. The onset of summer has seen a surge in contact with insurgents in recent weeks across southern Afghanistan.

In Helmand province, nine British soldiers have died in the past 10 days, bringing the total number of British military dead to 106 since late 2001.
More on link

And here's what the place looks like when CAN troops aren't kicking  Timmy Taliban's butt - .pdf of article also attached in case it disappears from the web page during the latest fracas.  I'm guessing it's a bit more "adventurous" than it was when these pictures were taken....  ;)

Living an adventurous life on ´Haji Beach´
MCPL Travis Good (6 Pl, B Coy, 2 PPCLI), CF Army News, Project Number:08-0376, 19 Jun 08
Article link

The Muslim call-to-prayer broadcasts over loud speakers from the local mosque, mixing with the crowing of unseen roosters. Soldiers wipe the sleep from their eyes as the sun peeks its head over the distant mountain range. One thinks to oneself: ‘This wouldn’t be such a bad place if bad guys weren’t lurking around every corner’.

Waking up to the smell of bacon tricks the tired mind into thinking you are at home. Then the smell of marijuana fields and soldiers’ sweat reminds you that you are in Afghanistan. The banks of the Arghandab River are less than 200 meters away. The fast-flowing cool water appeals to the sorest parts of the body. The stifling heat begs you to jump in; the landmines, explosives and fear of Taliban ambush tells you not to.

This is Haji Beach, named after three nearby villages, Haji Soltanmohammad Khan, Haji Atamohammad Khan and Haji Mohammad Yusof ....

More on link

I can post some probably safe pictures if anybody wants.. I am not sure about posting the ones that are of the big hole left over from when they tried to make me go "BOOM!" but I can post some generic scenery ones.

Bzzliteyr said:
I can post some probably safe pictures if anybody wants.. I am not sure about posting the ones that are of the big hole left over from when they tried to make me go "BOOM!" but I can post some generic scenery ones.

As much as we'd all like to see photos, we'll understand if you're too "crazy busy" keeping you and your team safe, given the situation.

Take care - we're all behind you here!

Not sure about you but we (A Coy) signed something to the effect that we would not post pic's or vid's without first having the CoC look at the material first.

No no, I am back now.. from the tour.  My pictures are pictures that have passed through the PAFO's hands (overseas) that date from spring of this year.  I can verify OPSEC and that stuff with the gang where I am currently employed then see about posting once I can.

'No doubt' defeated Taliban will be back: general
Updated Thu. Jun. 19 2008 5:51 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080619/afghan_update_080619/20080619?hub=TopStories

Once I hit home this weekend I'll pull them off my hard drive..

Seems the Taliban is breaking int'l law - wonder when the anti-war protesters will get on THEIR case?  ::)

Afghanistan: ICBL concerned by Taliban mine use allegations
Int'l Campaign to Ban Landmines news release, 19 Jun 08
News release link

Major news media reports have repeated the allegation that the Taliban have recently laid mines in Arghandab District of Kandahar Province. The news reports do not specify if these are antipersonnel mines.

"The reports of antipersonnel mine use by the Taliban received over the past 18 months are very worrying as – if confirmed – they would signal a shift from the Taliban’s publicly declared policy of endorsing the mine ban," said Yeshua Moser-Puangsuwan of the ICBL's Landmine Monitor. "The ICBL calls upon the Taliban to publicly reconfirm and honour the commitment it made in 1998 to non-use of antipersonnel mines," he continued.

The former Taliban-controlled Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan (IEA) was prohibited by its unrecognized status from signing the Mine Ban Treaty, but indicated its willingness to do so. In 1998 the IEA made a public commitment to a total ban on the production, trade, stockpiling, and use of landmines, and further stated that "the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan would never make use of any type of landmines" and that "those who use landmines in personal, political or any other differences in Afghanistan would be punished in accordance with the Islamic law."

However, since 2007, as the level of Taliban military activity increased, new antipersonnel mines use has been alleged.

In June 2007, three Canadian soldiers were killed in Panjwaii district, KandaharProvince when two antivehicle mines were detonated by an attached antipersonnel mine. The mines were newly laid on a road frequented by the troops between two checkpoints 600 meters apart. In May 2007 five children were killed by a mine the police claimed was freshly laid by the Taliban.

In July and August 2007, Helmand Provincial officials and residents alleged that Taliban insurgents had laid antipersonnel mines in several districts. Qari Yusuf, an alleged spokesman for the Taliban, reportedly confirmed the planting of new mines against the Afghan army and international forces. Also in July 2007 , a former Hezb-i-Islami commander fighting alongside the Taliban, and 38 of his soldiers, surrendered and turned over unspecified mines and other arms to the Disarmament of Irresponsible Armed Groups (DIAG) programme in KapisaProvince. Coalition forces claim to have apprehended militants possessing an antipersonnel mine in Khost in May 2007.

The majority of explosive attacks in Afghanistan do not involve victim-activated antipersonnel mines, but rather improvised explosive devices (IEDs) or antivehicle mines which are remotely-detonated in roadside attacks. These attacks are frequently attributed to “landmines” by journalists.

**Read about the landmine situation in Afghanistan in the Landmine Monitor Report http://www.icbl.org/lm/2007/afghanistan

Forces wrapping up operations in Arghandab district
Updated Fri. Jun. 20 2008 9:30 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

NATO and Afghan troops held mopping-up operations on Friday, after launching a ground-and-air offensive that drove out hundreds of insurgents camped out in a valley within striking distance of Kandahar city.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080620/afghan_operation_080620/20080620?hub=TopStories

milnewstbay said:
Seems the Taliban is breaking int'l law - wonder when the anti-war protesters will get on THEIR case?  ::)

Afghanistan: ICBL concerned by Taliban mine use allegations
Int'l Campaign to Ban Landmines news release, 19 Jun 08
News release link

Is there a difference between pressure-plate IEDs, suicide bombers, and anti-pers landmines? I really don't think so, they all kill indiscriminately, and most of the time kids get caught in the crossfire. ICBL needs to get their heads out of the proverbial sand here.

Back