• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Bernier Fiascos & Resignation

Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from today’s Globe and Mail is Rex Murphy's take on this issue.

Deep down, the front bench is shallow
REX MURPHY  From Saturday's Globe and Mail May 30, 2008 at 7:08 PM EDT

Scandal is the adrenalin of politics. There is nothing that quite so fires the partisan blood as the spectacle of the other party caught with its pants down. And that, both metaphorically and otherwise, is what we have had this week.

So we can only estimate the glee of the opposition parties on Parliament Hill when Maxime Bernier managed to wed carelessness over an official document to his combustible relationship with Julie Couillard, the pneumatic siren who apparently robbed Mr. Bernier of whatever sense of caution or maturity he may feebly claim to possess. Throw in the atmospherics of Ms. Couillard's past associations with the Hells Angels just for colour, and what we have seen on the Hill for most is a reality that outstrips the wildest dreams of an opposition mind at its most permissive.

This is a scandal that sparkles; it's in a league of its own. You could tell that we were in truly fresh territory here when veteran press gallery observers had to reach back to the dim mists of the last century and the Gerda Munsinger affair to find anything of like parallel. The Munsinger story is so grey and mouldy it has museum dust on it I pay him the ultimate compliment when I say that if the Bernier affair had happened in the United States they would have finished casting the Movie of the Week already, and Pamela Anderson (with a change of hair colour) would be looking at a personal renaissance as the very obvious choice to play the buoyant Ms. Couillard.

Stephen Harper must be furious. And that must be a phenomenon in itself. He will have noticed that as gasoline prices per litre reach something of an equivalence with platinum by the pound no one has been talking about Stéphane Dion's carbon tax this week. Whatever slender thread of an agenda the Conservatives could claim to have left has been blasted by the thunderstorm of the opposition's operatic denunciations.

I know there are serious matters at stake here – the documents left to mildew for five weeks, a foreign affairs minister sharing an orbit, whether tenuously or not, with a biker gang. But I suspect what really hurts the government, and drives Mr. Harper's formidable fury is that the whole mess is, finally, so silly. We may mutter on as much as we please about “state secrets” or “grave harm to our allies” and all that, but really this whole business is foolish.

It is silly, and “silly” is the one characteristic we never thought to drape over the Harper administration. But it projects something even more deadly for the Prime Minister. It shows how alone he is. Alone in this sense: that once you get past the picture of the Prime Minister himself, his obvious intelligence and capacity, and raise the question of who on his front bench is his equal or near equal, the answer is no one.

And how is this point best illustrated? Well, not the least of the ironies that dance in their legion around l'affaire Bernier is that when Mr. Harper looked to find an immediate stand-in he went to … David Emerson. That's correct, the very man who on the night of his election victory in Vancouver as a Liberal so splendidly pledged to be, and I quote, “Stephen Harper's worst nightmare.”

And when now Mr. Harper is caught, truly caught, in a monumental pickle and casts about for a rescue, who is the only adult in the room? The answer is the no-nonsense, high-achieving businessman, first recruited by Paul Martin, who was so explosively sworn into the Harper cabinet bare weeks after uttering that impeccable taunt I just quoted. All the depth on the Conservative front bench is contained in the person of a man elected as a Grit.

Most of the other early meteors in the Harper heavens have had their brief flare, spluttered and fallen to earth. Rona Ambrose, effectively, departed the spotlight. John Baird, for a while, seemed to offer (outside the House) something resembling a warm human temperament in conjunction with a streak of competence. Since wandering into Environment however – he replaced the afore-mentioned Ms. Ambrose – Mr. Baird's lustre has dimmed. The Finance Minister, Jim Flaherty, earns most of his headlines pummelling the Premier of Ontario, the very province in which the Conservatives most need new support. Mr. Flaherty is a brilliant kamikaze pilot – a vote getter he is not.

This is what the Bernier affair graphically signals to the Canadian public – the lack of charisma, talent, judgment, or simple maturity in the Harper front bench. And unlike all the other semi-scandals that have distracted us this last while, this one – for all its silliness and folly – signals an ominous message. The Harper government is, more or less, just Stephen Harper.

Well, to be fair – Stephen Harper and David Emerson. A genetic Conservative and a competent Liberal – the Harper team.

Another view, courtesy of the Mop and pail, it did make me chuckle though.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080602.wmacgregor02/BNStory/specialComment/home

How the Tories got their spunk back
ROY MacGREGOR

From Monday's Globe and Mail

E-mail Roy MacGregor | Read Bio | Latest Columns
June 2, 2008 at 6:37 AM EDT

I'm beginning to see the Tories in a brand-new light.

It doesn't necessarily mean a vote for them next election - I'm not even sure people who cover elections should vote - but it does mean I'm looking at the Conservative Party of Canada far differently today than, say, only last week.

I mean, who'd have thought a story about cleavage could have such legs?

Thank you Max Bernier. Thank you Julie Couillard.

Related Articles
Recent

Globe editorial: Regions aren't everything in cabinet 
Lysiane Gagnon: Harper's Quebec dilemma 
News: Dion demands investigation into Bernier affair 
Julie Couillard: Thousands of articles, 821 TV shows, 61 countries and one breast 
Julie Couillard: The Mata Hari of the 450 
News: Bikers weighed killing Couillard as suspected police informant 
Instead of sucking the life out of the Harper government, as you've been widely accused of doing, you've managed to put a little spunk into a party that many thought had none. After a depressingly long string of months in which Ottawa has dealt with nothing but the past - former prime minister Brian Mulroney's envelopes of unmarked bills; current Prime Minister Stephen Harper's ancient essays; old tape recordings of young Tories being homophobic; alleged bribes to now-deceased MPs; strange apologies for events from other centuries - it was a delightful shock this past week to see Ottawa yanked into the present.

It all began with old-fashioned sexploitation - any excuse to run that photo of Julie Couillard's partial dress - but it quickly became so much more: biker gang rumours, prison connections, interviews being shopped around for cash, cabinet documents left lying around with the socks and underwear, a resignation accepted by a barely contained prime minister...

Nor did it stop at that. By the weekend, the "wronged woman," Couillard, was claiming that the canned cabinet minister, Maxime Bernier, was a spineless loser who had actually struck a one-year "business deal" with her to bring him some extra media attention. What a bargain that turned out to be.

That will teach the former minister of foreign affairs for also trying to be the minister of domestic affairs.

But then, as the great Robin Williams once so accurately noted, "God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time."

It became the story of the moment - the first story in a long time of the moment rather than the past. It was even propelled along by those commentators out to dump on the media for vapid sexploitation, only to have them end up just as much a party to it as anyone.

Such fun. Canada - the land where scandal has always meant a hand in the till, not on the thigh - today can hold its own with any U.S. governor or British tabloid.

The next chapter will be what, exactly, was in those documents that poor Max's blood-drained mind left at Julie's place? After all, she is now promising to spill all details if only the Canadian government calls a commission of inquiry, as her lawyer has advised. (You have to admit, for someone who says all this media attention has ruined her life, she is really working hard to put it all behind her.)

The Loyal Opposition spent the week screaming about state secrets, but what, exactly, would a country so internationally insignificant as Canada have as a "secret"?

Diagrams on how to break through the neutral-zone trap?

A master strategy for counter-attacking the blackflies?

The secret Conservative plan to make Stéphane Dion "Leader for Life"?

The mind boggles.

All this, no matter what secrets were in those files, is actually good news for Canada. The rest of the world may now stop thinking of us as "The Great White Waste of Time" and see us more as a country of action, where politicians not only tell their supporters what to think, but what to wear - and where the country that once had no business in the bedrooms of the nations now might be busy planting bugs in mattresses.

But the biggest beneficiary, in the long run, may be Harper's own stern party.

The talking heads don't always get it right, you know. We all remember how they were running Bill Clinton out of office after that other dress story broke, only to discover that Clinton's approval rating hit an all-time high shortly after the public first heard of those Oval Office trysts with White House intern Monica Lewinsky.

This past week, as the Bernier scandal was boiling over in Parliament, word came that a number of Tory MPs were aghast to find their names on a guest list for tickets to a new movie called Young People Fornicating - (well, that's not the actual title, but the third word does begin with "F") - and they couldn't bail fast enough.

One innocent staffer even got canned - the second Tory firing in the week - for daring to order two tickets. Bad call, boys. You should all show up.

And show the country that the Conservative Party of Canada isn't even remotely as tight-assed and uptight and hidebound and boring as we'd all come to believe over these past 2½ years of Tory rule.

Max Bernier may have paid the price for his weaknesses. But it's just possible his party may profit a bit by demonstrating it is, to no small surprise, somewhat human

And the hits just keep on coming....

Bernier's ex-girlfriend dated a mafioso: report

Article Link - CTV News

The Canadian Press

OTTAWA -- Claims by the Harper government that it is neither aware of nor interested in the romantic entanglements of ministers came under renewed fire Tuesday amid reports of an old Mafia liaison.

The week-old resignation of foreign affairs minister Maxime Bernier continues to turn up fresh skeletons, with Opposition MPs citing a newspaper report that Bernier's ex-girlfriend once dated an alleged mobster.

More on article link

To any and all who think that dating anyone is a crime, I refer to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms:

Fundamental Freedoms​

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

a) freedom of conscience and religion;
b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;
c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and
d) freedom of association.
That is all.

Actually, there are restrictions on the freedom of association... one of which would include being involved in a criminal enterprise (ie. organized crime).  Bill C-95 (anti-biker legislation) deals with this very point.

I am not suggesting that she was involved in criminal enterprises; however, her dad was busted as the proprieter in a biker grow op and she has been romatically involved with another individual who was busted for illegal real estate transactions.  She is well known to bikers and has ties to Italian mafia.  She seems to have a propensity for men well known for illegal conduct. Has she been an angel during these periods of time?  I suspect that story has yet to come out.

The only thing that comes to mind when I think of Couillard is "if you lay down with dogs, you get fleas".  She ain't no victim.  She made her bed(s) and now she has to lie in them.

I understand that being a member of a criminal organization is prohibited; however, I would argue in the case of Ms. Couillard that she was not.  She was involved with individuals.  Maybe she just goes for "bad boys"? >:D

But, in all seriousness, it wasn't HER association that was being scrutinized, it was Mr. Bernier's.  HE wasn't involved with illegal activities.  He shared his bed (assuming he did, anyway), with a woman who used to share her bed with guys who may or may not have....

Anyway, the six degrees of Kevin Bacon comes to mind.  We all have skeletons in our closets.  Even though there are such things as C-95 out there, I don't think that there are any that prohibit one person from associating with another (barring any restraining orders, etc).

The freedom of association does not protect you from public scrutiny of those with whom you associate... it only protects you from criminal prosecution.   ;D

You reap what you sow.  She must have enjoyed her time as a biker babe otherwise she wouldn't have kept doing it over and over and over.  Now it is time to pay the piper.

Bernier should have known better politically.  He should have demonstrated better political common sense than to get involved with her.  Now he is paying the political price.  That is the way that game is played and he knew it when he went in to it.

I don't think either one of them are victims.

scoutfinch said:
The freedom of association does not protect you from public scrutiny of those with whom you associate... it only protects you from criminal prosecution.   ;D

You reap what you sow.  She must have enjoyed her time as a biker babe otherwise she wouldn't have kept doing it over and over and over.  Now it is time to pay the piper.

Bernier should have known better politically.  He should have demonstrated better political common sense than to get involved with her.  Now he is paying the political price.  That is the way that game is played and he knew it when he went in to it.
I agree that the optics are bad on this one for Bernier.  Having said that, in the House, whenever the NDP, Libs or Bloc got up and slammed Bernier for being associated with Couillard (who I don't think has a criminal record, as far as I can read from the media), I would have quoted the Fundamental Freedoms, and left it at that.  Just hammer it home again and again and again.  After all, the optics would have changed from "Bad Bernier" to "Big Brother NDP/Lib/Bloc", getting into the bedrooms of Canadians (which I also would have brought forward)

And here we go again.....

Article Link

Bernier's ex dined in 2006 with loan shark tied to bikers

A joint CBC-Radio Canada investigation has revealed that in the summer of 2006, nine months before her relationship with Bernier began, Julie Couillard dined at a Laval restaurant with a convicted loan shark named Normand Descoteaux.

More on link

Are they going to go through every person this woman has ever associated with?

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
I agree that the optics are bad on this one for Bernier.  Having said that, in the House, whenever the NDP, Libs or Bloc got up and slammed Bernier for being associated with Couillard (who I don't think has a criminal record, as far as I can read from the media), I would have quoted the Fundamental Freedoms, and left it at that.  Just hammer it home again and again and again.  After all, the optics would have changed from "Bad Bernier" to "Big Brother NDP/Lib/Bloc", getting into the bedrooms of Canadians (which I also would have brought forward)

By all accounts, she does not have a criminal record, nor has she been charged with anything (not from lack of trying by the police, I might add given that she has been arrested and has been under surveillance many times).  In my mind, this indicates there was insufficient evidence to gain a conviction against her. 

I think this was just one of several gaffes by Bernier which ultimately cost him his job (comments on Kandahar's governor, committing heavy airlift capacity etc being others).  If I thought for one second that the Liberal leadership was sufficiently competent to think strategically, I would think that they waited until they had the lovely sound bite out of Harper's mouth when he said that it was a non-issue and that he 'didn't intend to take this issue seriously'.  Cue damning evidence.... eat that, Harper, say the Liberals gleefully!

At the end of the day, Bernier was not competent in Foreign Affairs.  He also demonstrated poor judgment with regards to Couillard.  He is paying the price. 

PMedMoe said:
And here we go again.....

Article Link

Bernier's ex dined in 2006 with loan shark tied to bikers

A joint CBC-Radio Canada investigation has revealed that in the summer of 2006, nine months before her relationship with Bernier began, Julie Couillard dined at a Laval restaurant with a convicted loan shark named Normand Descoteaux.

More on link

Are they going to go through every person this woman has ever associated with?
The Libs (and the CBC apparently: why in the world are they investigating the dining habits of biker chicks?), supposed champions of individual rights and freedoms, apparently haven't heard of the Charter.  They also seem to have forgotten His Royal Highness (Pierre Trudeau the First) and his quote of words to the effect that the government has no place in the bedrooms of the nation.

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, DROP IT!!!!!!

PS: I'm sure, given enough digging, anyone could fine out that that some girls I have dated over the years had longer criminal records than Ms. Couillard.  Big deal.  It was THEIR records, NOT MINE.  Jesus Christ hung out with prostitutes, beggars and thieves, and now there are churches in His name all around the world!  Association with anyone is not a crime, in fact, it's a right GUARANTEED in the charter.  To the CBC: Get over yourselves!

I that case let's pore over the torrid off-camera relationship that Wendy Mesley and Peter Mansbridge had for a period of time. I'm sure with that one we could bring the CBC to thier collective knees.

Apples vs. Oranges.

They aren't elected public officials.

That being said, if anyone really cared about it, there is nothing stopping the media from doing so.. although the mere thought of Peter Mansbridge nekkid creeps me out!

edited to add:  besides, Mesley and Manbridge were married.

This lady (and I use that term loosely) has certainly been making the government rounds.

Minister's aide fired after Couillard links emerge

Article Link

Special assistant to Fortier dated controversial woman last year: newspaper
Last Updated: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 | 7:57 AM ET CBC News

Federal Public Works Minister Michael Fortier has had to dismiss a senior member of staff because the man had a romantic relationship with Julie Couillard last year when a company she represented was bidding on a big government contract, according to a report.

The Toronto Star reports Fortier says he only became aware on Tuesday that Couillard and one of his Quebec advisers, Bernard Côté, had been dating last year, before she became the girlfriend of former foreign affairs minister Maxime Bernier.

Côté failed to inform him that he was dating Couillard, the Star quoted Fortier as saying, at the same time as Montreal property developer Groupe Kevlar Inc. was bidding for a multimillion-dollar contract with the Public Works Department.

Couillard is officially listed as an "affiliated agent" of Groupe Kevlar, although the firm said last month that she was not one of its employees.

More on link

And yet more on the continuing saga of Ms. Couillard

Article link

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080829.wcouillard29/BNStory/National

OTTAWA — The Mounties are investigating a controversial real-estate deal that the Harper government cancelled yesterday, and on which Julie Couillard allegedly lobbied two senior Conservative officials while she was dating them.

Sources said that RCMP are seeking information from federal officials on the project, which is in Quebec City. The Kevlar Group, a real-estate firm associated with Ms. Couillard, submitted two of the four bids that made it to the second phase of the tendering process.

The Mounties have been contacting civil servants and ministerial staff recently, including current and former officials of Public Works and Government Services Canada.

Public Works has been looking in recent years to buy a building to house federal officials in Quebec City. However, the government announced yesterday it will launch a new competition on the project, after the four remaining properties offered were deemed to be non-compliant with the environmental criteria.

Ms. Couillard's actual ties with Kevlar remain unclear, including her official position, if any, on the bid for the building in Quebec City.

Still, Kevlar said in May she is affiliated with the firm as a real estate agent. In addition, former foreign affairs minister Maxime Bernier and former ministerial adviser Bernard Côté have said that Ms. Couillard promoted the project to them.

The RCMP have always refused to state whether they are investigating the politically charged Couillard affair, which dominated parliamentary debates in the spring and led to the resignations of Mr. Bernier and Mr. Côté from their government positions.

This week, RCMP spokesman Corporal Greg Cox, refused to "confirm or deny whether or not we're engaged in an investigation." However, other federal officials said there is no doubt the RCMP are actively involved in the file, and that "contacts have been made" with current and former officials.

The RCMP probe comes at a politically crucial time, with Prime Minister Stephen Harper moving to dissolve Parliament and send the country to the polls. The opposition is accusing him of attempting to shut down the House to sweep ethical questions and scandals under the carpet.

The controversy erupted in early May over the fact that Ms. Couillard had ties to members of the Hells Angels in the 1990s, and whether the RCMP was aware of that when she started dating Mr. Bernier in the spring of 2007.

Mr. Bernier resigned in late May after Ms. Couillard revealed in a television interview that some of his confidential briefing documents had been left at her home in early April of this year. The next twist came in June as Mr. Côté resigned from the office of then-minister of public works Michael Fortier. Mr. Côté acknowledged he should have recused himself from the Quebec City project because he dated Ms. Couillard and discussed the matter with her in the first part of 2007.

It was also revealed at the time that Ms. Couillard had raised the Kevlar Group's bid with Mr. Bernier.

At the time of Mr. Côté's resignation, the opposition raised allegations in the House and the Senate that this was a potential case of influence peddling and an attempted infiltration of the Conservative government.

A spokesman for Mr. Fortier insisted yesterday there was no political interference in the Quebec City file. In addition, a review of the project by a fairness monitor released yesterday found no outside pressures in the management of the project.

Ms. Couillard has refused to appear before a parliamentary committee looking into the controversy. Her lawyer has argued that she could be the subject of an RCMP investigation in relation to her handling of Mr. Bernier's secret documents, and that she does not want to jeopardize her eventual defence.

Mr. Bernier is also refusing to answer questions, saying he has nothing to add.

A source said Ms. Couillard raised questions in federal circles when she learned last year the government had made a decision that went against Kevlar's first bid. At the time, Kevlar was offering a property close to downtown Quebec City for the project. However, the Harper government expanded the perimeter in which the building could be located, which increased the pool of potential bidders. Kevlar then submitted a bid in the new perimeter.

The opposition has also asked questions in the House on the fact that Ms. Couillard's mother, Diane Bellemare, was appointed by the cabinet in August, 2007, to the Employment Insurance Board of Referees. A source said the RCMP have also sought information on that appointment.

She certainly has made her impression on Parliament hill this year.....

This, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from today’s Globe and Mail, is, probably - and, perhaps, counter-intuitively, good news for the Conservatives:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081001.wcouillard01/BNStory/politics/home
Couillard told to trash NATO briefings, book reveals

DANIEL LEBLANC

From Wednesday's Globe and Mail
October 1, 2008 at 6:00 AM EDT

OTTAWA — Maxime Bernier frequently bad-mouthed Conservative Leader Stephen Harper and sloppily handled confidential papers, once asking his girlfriend to put secret NATO briefing documents in her trashcan, according to a new book by Julie Couillard.

Ms. Couillard alleges that Mr. Bernier once offered to help her obtain a position as a commissioner at the Immigration Refugee Board of Canada, passing on her file to Immigration Minister Diane Finley.

Mr. Bernier, a former foreign affairs minister who is once again running for the Conservative Party in this election, comes off as vain and superficial in the book written by Ms. Couillard, who was his girlfriend in 2007.

Titled My Story, the book is scheduled to hit bookshelves on Monday. However, it was released to selected journalists yesterday under embargo by its French- and English-language publishers, setting tongues wagging in Conservative circles as Mr. Bernier and his closest advisers prepared a damage-control strategy.

The furor will now hit the Conservatives ahead of tonight's French-language election debate, as Montreal-based newspaper La Presse obtained a copy of the book and wrote a story on its content, which it shared with The Globe.

For the first time, Ms. Couillard explains her version of the circumstances in which Mr. Bernier left documents related to a NATO summit in Bucharest at her home last April.

According to Ms. Couillard, Mr. Bernier always accumulated loads of documents in his briefcase, and one morning, as he left her home, handed her the papers.

"Could you put all this in the garbage for me," he asked, before asking her to wait for the actual day of the pickup. "After all, they are confidential documents," Mr. Bernier said.

Ms. Couillard said that she put them on her kitchen counter, and then forgot all about them - until the day her name and picture were splashed all over the media.

Ms. Couillard lived with two men with ties to bikers gangs in the 1990s, one of whom was assassinated. Ms. Couillard then dated Mr. Bernier from mid-2007 to the end of the year, and they continued seeing one another in ensuing months.

Last May, the Bloc Québécois and the Liberal Party said her relationship with Mr. Bernier created a risk to national security and should have been flagged by the RCMP.

When Ms. Couillard went on to reveal in a television interview that Mr. Bernier had left confidential papers at her home, Mr. Bernier promptly resigned. He later told investigators from Foreign Affairs that he had no idea how the documents came out of his briefcase.

In her book, Ms. Couillard offers a number of details about her time with Mr. Bernier. According to Ms. Couillard, he was constantly preoccupied with his appearance, all the while displaying "surprising intellectual laziness."

Still, she added that Mr. Bernier once entertained thoughts of replacing Mr. Harper as the leader of the Conservative Party. Mr. Bernier allegedly sought support in Conservative circles, feeling that he would benefit from the fact that Mr. Harper is anglophone and would need to be replaced by a francophone.

But she also said that Mr. Bernier frequently criticized Mr. Harper's eating habits and the fact that he often drank Pepsi in meetings. The comments were likely made before Mr. Harper went on a diet, but Mr. Bernier apparently made fun of the Prime Minister's belly.

Ms. Couillard added that Mr. Bernier was always picking fights with the Prime Minister's Office, and that he felt that Mr. Harper was a "dictator who wants to control everything."

According to La Presse, Ms. Couillard also says in her book that Mr. Bernier:

 had no worries about the possibility that Quebec would secede from Canada;
 opposed the war in Iraq and was unhappy with the Canadian mission in Afghanistan;
 frequently had problems giving speeches in English and asked Foreign Affairs to replace complicated words in his address to the United Nations;
 and whispered negative comments about his constituents in her ears during a corn-roast in his riding of Beauce.

At Foreign Affairs, Mr. Bernier was criticized for his lack of knowledge of world affairs, and he came under fire when he openly sought the replacement of an Afghan official in public. In a statement, Mr. Bernier refused to comment on the book's specific allegations, except for Ms. Couillard's comment that he secretly laughed at his constituents in the Beauce region of Quebec.

"I'm not going to dignify this with a response. It's soap opera politics and completely ridiculous," he said.

"Everywhere I went, I've always expressed the pride that I feel for the people of Beauce. It is very disappointing that this person would insult me and the people of Beauce in the way that she has," he said.

As she has stated before, Ms. Couillard says that Mr. Bernier was perfectly aware of her tumultuous past when they dated. She was once the girlfriend of Gilles Giguère, who was killed in 1996 before facing trial for firearms and drugs possession. By 1997, Ms. Couillard was to marry Stéphane Sirois, a member of the Rockers, a puppet gang of the Hells Angels.

According to the Laurier Institute for Public Opinion and Policy the Beauce riding, where Bernier is running, is a fairly safe Tory seat. I expect that the debate moderators and the other party leaders will be unable to resist filling some time with this. Harper’s defences should be easy and pro forma and, it appears to me likely to resonate with Québec voters who were sympathetic towards both Bernier and Harper when the former’s private life was made an issue.

In fact, anything that shifts the scandal spotlight away from Harper, personally, is a good thing. He is running a one man campaign and his image is all important.

Not everyone is smart ::) Hopefully, most will see her for the opportunist she is. Given her past, she'll do, and say, anything for a buck. It would be good to see her slapped with a massive lawsuit. It would also be interesting to see what the political ties, of the shadow writer and publishing house are, and who exactly commissioned the book. I may have my tinfoil hat on too tight, but this, and the timing, smacks of an orchestrated plan by desperate people.

Although we've all seen politicos act just as stupid as is alleged for Bernier, when they start thinking with that other head. It will be interesting to see how Harper's War Cabinet deals with this one.

recceguy said:
Not everyone is smart ::) Hopefully, most will see her for the opportunist she is. Given her past, she'll do, and say, anything for a buck. It would be good to see her slapped with a massive lawsuit. It would also be interesting to see what the political ties, of the shadow writer and publishing house are, and who exactly commissioned the book. I may have my tinfoil hat on too tight, but this, and the timing, smacks of an orchestrated plan by desperate people.

Although we've all seen politicos act just as stupid as is alleged for Bernier, when they start thinking with that other head. It will be interesting to see how Harper's War Cabinet deals with this one.

It will be a non-issue for Harper....it was Bernier and his little head swelled with his ego that precipitated this....he comes across as such even in the news clips...That's not to say the opposition won't try... ::)

Back