• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The C7 Assault Rifle, M16, & AR15 family (C7A1, C7A2, C7 replacment, and C7 vs M16)

• Thread starter Thread starter the patriot
  • Start date Start date
There are a few good ideas getting put into the rifle but for the most part it‘s a waster of time and money. Cadpat sling, wow! Because I was really worried about giving away my position with my sling...almost as good an idea as Crudpat boots. The night optics is also a good idea on paper, but how often will we actually use them? Will they be the same quality as our garbage NVG‘s now? What will we do with our stockpiles of para flares?? ;)

Yeah, the cadpat sling is a waste. However, I don‘t see that the cadpat boots are such as waste. If you look at pics of ppl in cadpat outlined against a forest or something, if it wasnt for the rifles or boots, I wouldnt see them. Also, apparently the first thing guys look for is the black boots when trying to spot a guy in cadpat w/ and w/o NV.

Well GerryCan the night optics are used every time we deploy into the field,I don‘t know about what your unit does but the rest of the Army does in fact use night sights .The Kite sight is an awesome piece of kit allowing the rifleman to engage out to 600m and ID targets at around 100-200m depending on ambiant light.It can be mounted on the C7A1,C9,C6. The newest NVG the PVS-14 is about the best NVG I have seen to date espescially when used with the PAQ-4 IR laser.
The sling is a good idea as blck is not a good colour out in the boonies any way we reduce it is good for us,added to the fact that the colour black will glow when looked at with NVGs it makes perfect sense.
I donot agree with the majority of the C7A2 project but every now and then they do get something halfassed right.

i heard the C7A2 may have problems with heating and warping due to the shorter barrel. has anyone else heard of this this? i was told that it also was a problem in the C8. i would just like an explaination on why it happens if it is true.

No such issues,barrel length has little to do with how heat is handled.Barrel thickness is the prime factor in handling heat although I have never heard of a C8 barrel warping,the amount of rounds fired through it to cause this much heat would almost certainly stop the rifle from firing before this happened if it ever could.

The New C7 incompasses and addresses many of the points brought up about the short comings of the Original C7 ie: too long for FIBUA, too big for vehicle crews Etc Etc, It does so with little to no change in preformance range or acuracy why cry foul when the majority have yet to even see the weapon in real life, I fired the weapong at the Dimaco plant not to long agao and real liked it, my personal oppinion of course but hey isn‘t everyone‘s comments on here there oppinion, about the only thing I think looks bad is the CADPAT hand guards and acurtriments, but then again I think the military is going to far with the CADPAT design like boots for example.

So far I have failed to see what the problem is with CADPAT boots...

Desert Rat,

ARE you a 031?
Because I can tell you that every 031 I have spoken too does not like the C7A2 - or if they do a quick lecture on it versus other options will set them against it.

There are no CADPAT handguard on it - that was an option that was discounted several months ago (the CADPAT boot trials @ 1PPCLI were a fiasco)

I have handled the C7A2 as well and the new C9,and the C7Ct,not impressed at all.Firing a couple shots at the Diemaco test range does not mean that the rifle is good to go,because it is not,slap on a PAQ 4 and Surefire light to the triad rail and see how well it handles.

MG34 great point - part of what I missed - with the C8 butt the C7A2 is muzzle heavy (I would say awkward) We have placed C8 butts on the C7‘s before and found it not worth it - add a PEQ-2 and Surefire M962 out on the TRIAD and you have an extremely ungainly weapon that snaggs on any and all branches etc that you pass by.

C9A2

Option of 20" or 14" barrels
Steel Feed cover rail w/ original iron sight
C8 butt
etc.

DownloadAttach.asp

DownloadAttach.asp

DownloadAttach.asp

I thought they were getting rid of optical sights on the C9‘s?

are those coming out when the new c7‘s are supposed to?

The IRON‘s are a "SECONDARY" sighting system...

IIRC there is some talk of using the EOTECH 552‘s on the C9A2 (A much better idea than the C79)

don‘t they have huge problems with tunnel vision when using it in a sustained role? why use an optical sight for an area effect weapon?

The difference is that the people who chose the C79 for the C9 were not machine gunners - things like beaten zone etc. menat nothing to them.

Kevin

Yeah I am a 031 and I did like the new weapon but as was said a few rounds do not a fair trial make, I like to give stuff time to pass or fail on their own merits for myself and not others reasoning, As for the new C9 I did trials on in Gagetown last year not a long one but a a few belts to test the acuracy of the differnt models vs the Original, I found I liked them too, but I was also told they were mainly for SF and Para units and would likely not see total distrubution Infantry wide.

Desert Rat, okay I must have mistaken your original reply.
I have been very forunate to be able to try several ‘competing‘ (read US initiatives) designs, and from my experiences with them cannot comprehend why we have chosen the C7A2.

-Kevin

I was following the thread about "favourite rifles." Had me thinking that everything mentioned was contemporary or something from a previous generation (MG 42, L1A1, etc...) I know we‘ll be using M16 variants for some time, but the US is working towards a replacement at some point in the next decade or so. A few companies have produced prototypes (most notably the OICW, etc...)

What‘s the thought guys. If the US goes for a infantry rifle which has an integrated thermal/gps/laser/video camera/gameboy sight and a tactical 25mm airburst capable grenade launcher. Will we follow?

And do we need to be in such a "Land Warrior" climate? Isn‘t this just more to go wrong, carry and distract?

Opinions?

Back