• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Canadian Rangers Merged Thread

Well, it has been a while since I have posted anything on here, but it is nice to see that some interest has been.......resurrected, in my absence. First and foremost Rangers are volunteers. People that become Rangers want to make a difference for Canada, but for reasons that have too many options, don't sign up for Reserve/Regular service. I don't believe this makes them any less dedicated. Rangers are people from all walks of life, and professions. In my personal opinion, I think this makes for a very effective team, sharing knowledge and skills with one another that you can't learn from a course, or textbook. For example, in my patrol, we have; A Korean War veteran, a provincial government employee, a cashier, a trapper, a truck driver, a millwright, and so on. I drive a pilot car. We are everyday folks, who want to do a little more, but are unable to give the full commitment. Some Rangers attend a "watered down BMQ course" to add military skills for operation applications. Other Rangers attend "Leadership Courses" to enhance and add to their knowledge. From an operational stand point, Rangers could be considered a causal recce patrol. Canada has had it pretty good, considering the state of world affairs. From a historical perspective, we are the only country in North America that did not have to fight for independence (Mexico fought Spain, and the U.S. fought the U.K.). Canada hasn't been openly attacked since the War of 1812 (unless you count the shelling of Esteven Point, British Columbia on June 20, 1942, which prompted the creation of the Pacific Coast Militia Rangers). For the second largest country in the world, Canada has a small military for her population, but has a world renowned reputation as Peacekeepers. Rangers are the only component of the Canadian Forces that wasn't part of the policy to close various Canadian Forces bases to consolidate units into fewer facilities, after major budget cuts and reorganization in the 1990's. Rangers face an uncertain future, the very world we live in is changing. The enemy doesn't wear the distinctive uniform of a foreign power, or use readily recognizable equipment. Old threats, considered quiet, are getting louder. Rangers are Canada's unconventional forces, for unconventional times.

Well, I come into this topic late, but I grew up knowing more about the Rangers than I did about any other part of the military!  I grew up north of Thunder Bay, Ontario, and north of my town, the Rangers often bring the Jr. Rangers up there for their summer camp exercise.  They also do some exercises for the Rangers there, both summer and winter.  I was a CI in an air cadet sqn for awhile, and we would go and visit the Ranger camp nearly every summer.  I got a chance to talk to Sgt. Moon for awhile, and the insights he lent me about the north were eye-opening and informative.  Some pretty interesting stuff. 

It was only far later that I ever saw my first cadpat-attired soldier.

And now that I'm in Borden, training as an AVN tech, I see Rangers all the time, as they have a training base here.  All of them that I've met, both first nations and those 'white guys', have all been wonderful people, always willing to talk to you and inform you.  I think it's a good thing that we have them...  Who else would head that far up north and patrol all day with slowmobiles?  :p

Recently, I have come across some videos concerning the Canadian Rangers on Youtube.com. One is from the Terrace Patrol, as they take a little excursion around the area, and into history. I found this little clip very interesting for the fact, Canada doesn't seem to preserve a lot of it's military heritage, unless you live in, or by a major center.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ShPFmXOyhOE

When people think of Canadian Rangers, this is the first thing that pops into their heads:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4_jgPfXTky4

This one, I am not so sure about, looks like a boat race up(or down?) the Yukon River. A mock invasion, but the Russians failed to show up?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=poIwV5GyCCo

And, finally, WESTERN FINANCIAL GROUP puts out a quarterly magazine called West, where in the recent issue, there is a brief article about the Rangers. A downloadable copy in the .pdf format (8.14 mb) is available at the following link:
http://www.westernfinancialgroup.net/WFG-Fall-07-low%20res.pdf

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1_1.asp?id=2320

Authority for Rangers transfers to Land Force
Thursday, October 25, 2007
OTTAWA, Ontario – The campfire was crackling beside the Canadian Ranger tee-pee when the Vice Chief of the Defence Staff (VCDS), Lieutenant-General Walter Natynczyk, and the Chief of Land Staff (CLS), Lieutenant-General Andrew Leslie, received their salute from the Canadian Ranger Honour Guard.

The Transfer of National Authority (TOCA) for the Canadian Rangers took place on Tuesday, 2 October at the Connaught Range and Primary Training Centre in Ottawa. It brought together Rangers from all five Canadian Ranger Patrol Groups (CRPGs) across the country.

CLS LGen Leslie is now the national authority for the Canadian Rangers. As the national authority, it is the Army Commander's intent to improve the Canadian Forces's operational capability by using the Rangers in providing local knowledge and expertise to all military operations in their area of responsibility. This capability will be further strengthened through the updating of roles, mission and tasks of the Canadian Rangers as required.

Declaring the CLS as the national authority for the Canadian Rangers formalizes the existing relationship between the various CRPGs and the Land Staff. LGen Leslie expressed his pleasure at the TOCA ceremony stating, "I am proud to welcome the Canadian Rangers to the Army and look forward to working with such skilled individuals."

The ceremony ended with a traditional meal including moose stew, tea and bannock hosted by the Canadian Rangers.

Article and photos by Capt Joanna Labonté, Army Public Affairs

Rangers assert Arctic sovereignty the old-fashioned way

Don Martin, CanWest News Service
Published: Friday, October 26, 2007

The Conservative Arctic reclamation project calls for unmanned aerial drones, ocean floor sensors, $3 billion worth of new patrol ships, a deep sea port and an expanded military base to drape the Maple Leaf across vast stretches of barren rock, ice and increasingly open water.

But our current guardians on the ground are a paramilitary force that carry 60-year-old rifles to fend off polar bears, provide their own snow, land or sea transportation, call in irregularities over their personal satellite phones and exhaust their holidays to stand on guard for us.

The Canadian Rangers seem to have been overlooked as the most experienced hands-on and economical way to reassert sovereignty claims over a resource-laden region with heightened potential as a shipping corridor in a globally warmed environment.

The throne speech gave them a backhanded salute -- pledging to increase their numbers by 20 per cent while getting the name of the 4,100-strong quasi-military force wrong. Prime Minister Stephen Harper's address last week called them the Arctic Rangers, who don't actually exist.

But there's obvious potential to improve surveillance over a region claiming 75 per cent of Canada's coastline yet costs less than the sticker price for three light armored vehicles.

Even though they're not whining about it, the Canadian Rangers have an obvious lag in equipment and status when stacked against regular soldiers.

Instead of a uniform, these recruits get a red sweatshirt, T-shirt, ball cap, vest, compass, first- aid kit and, naturally, a toque. They're paid reservists' salary for the time they're on tour and must provide their own all-terrain vehicles, boats or snowmobiles to get around.

Baba Pedersen is the second family member in a three-generation string of Rangers from Kugluktuk, formerly known as Coppermine - an accomplishment that earned the trio their very own postage stamp. (And just to get the obligatory conflict of interest declaration out of the way, Pedersen is related to me through marriage.)

But one could argue the .303 Enfields issued to every Ranger are a tad out of date. "My rifle is World War I vintage, but it works well in the cold and is good for shooting caribou," Pedersen says with a laugh. "If you were standing half a mile away, I could still drop you with it."

He has noticed, but isn't complaining, that Canadian soldiers have the best communications equipment money can buy while Rangers are given old high-frequency radios.

"When the military guys come on our patrols, they come equipped with all sorts of satellite and other technology. We use the stuff while they're here, but when they go, so is the technology," he says. "That's why I usually bring my own phone along."

Pedersen's tours, done during his vacation period, take him on snowmobile dashes between the automated North Warning System outposts, calling reports into North Bay, Ont.'s command centre. In the pursuit of re-asserted sovereignty, "we plant flags, take some pictures and move on," he says.

Pedersen's reported the odd sailboat that seemed out of place in the sea ice (no kidding) and called in unusual aircraft or weather balloons.

Perhaps the Rangers' most notorious apprehension was a Romanian who last year bravely boated to Grise Fjord on Ellesmere Island from a port in Greenland, figuring he could mingle with the locals and eventually fly to Toronto unnoticed.

Unfortunately, he docked his boat 100 metres from a Ranger leader's home and didn't exactly blend into the local population, where he was only the second non-Inuit person in the community.

He was detained by the Rangers and deported.

Nobody's quite sure what the Harper government has in mind for the Rangers beyond increasing their size by 900 members in the years to come. There's a leadership session in Yellowknife in a couple weeks where they might get fresh marching orders. Or not.

But given the positive impact an aggressive recruitment and training blitz would have on a region sagging under chronic social problems and high unemployment, an upgrade would seem to be a win-win move for both the locals and faraway Ottawa decision-makers.

"We always say something isn't ours unless we're standing on it," says Capt. Conrad Schubert, spokesman for the Rangers program in Yellowknife, by way of explaining their role in protecting our sovereignty.

That makes this ragtag assortment of Inuit, who spend their vacations serving as our eyes and ears in a hostile but warming environment, Canada's best and brightest north stars.

When I joined the Rangers in '93, our full issue of kit consisted of 2 ball caps, an armband, and the .303. Oh, and the pull through and sling. If you wanted the red sweatshirts and t shirt, you had to buy them. I spent a lot of ranger pay in the surplus store back then. They've come a long way.

Vigilans

Hansol said:
All that being said,  I'm curious: what do you rangers DO? I understand you do "search and rescue" roles, but what about military exercises? what is your role in today's Big-Green-Machine? Just curious as to what the "job" of our Rangers is in today's world

Edit: Terrible grammar and spelling and composition

A long time ago I was a Sig with 744 Communications Regiment, but in the last year have returned to the colours with the 4CRPG Canadian Rangers (100 Mile).  I know that this question was asked a long time ago, but outside of the Western Spirit writeup I didn't see a lot of other information addressing the question.  The Canadian Rangers are a cross between militia units and the old "native auxilliaries" from the old British Empire.  The Rangers are the few scattered boots on the ground that serve the CF by providing local presence, knowledge of the local ground, support for law enforcement, disaster relief and search and rescue for those communities of the coast, the north, and the interior, where the CF cannot afford to have a presence.

What do we bring to the big green machine?  Boots on the ground, knowledge of the local area, of the local agencies like Search and Rescue, Law enforcement, Forest Service.  We know the differences between what the map says is passable, and what you can actually get through this month.  We know and work with all the local agencies that the CF will need to liaise with if they are called in to deal with a major problem.  The CF regular and reserve force units cannot be everywhere, and yet is tasked with being able to respond to crisis at any part of this vast nation.  In the northern and sparsely populated areas, the Rangers are the CF's eyes and hands in places it could never afford to staff.

You won't find us in Leopards and Lav's, for we are not Reg Force or Reserve.  You will find us on ATV and Skidoo, on canoe and on foot, scouting, providing search and rescue, law enforcement support, disaster relief, and any other tasking the CF Land Forces direct in those places that will never have an armory or reserve unit, let alone a regular force unit.

To all the Rangers who joined me at Albert Head for RV 09, good seeing so many in Cadpat and crimson from all over the Western provinces!

OK so from what I have read, the Canadian rangers are located in remote locations. And they supply you with a Enginfeild rifle and ammo.

Do you need a PAL (gun license) since you keep the weapon at home and I don't really understand how it works, if you keep the weapon at your home, that means you are prepared to patrol at anytime? It also says the rifle is so you can "sustain yourself" Does that mean they leave you in the middle of nowhere for you to hunt your own food?

This sounds like my dream job if  the last question is true.

Canadian Rangers normally live at home and operate as part of a Patrol.  They are not "located" or "left" anywhere at random.  They are Reservists and have specific duties.  They normally carry out those duties when "parading" and as a difference from normal reservists, they may execute some duties when going about their normal day to day routine (if it is outdoorsy type stuff).

Don't expect to join up and get given a rifle, parka, and skiddoo or ATV and left to your own devices.

You store your weapon according to the law. And then you are allowed to hunt with it in accordance to the provincial/territorial laws.

You wont get posted anywhere- they are recruited from their communities and remain there. Unless you move of your own choice. The training, while good, is limited. The provide a valuable service to their communities but it is not a dream job by any stretch.

Do you live in a remote location - Sudbury or Port Alberni is not considered remote.  This is the first question you should ask yourself.

Normally members of First Nations are recruited as Canadian Rangers - as these are the communities to which such a patrol might be located.

I thought you wanted to join the U.S. Navy and get posted to warm places.  ???

Incase anyone is wondering, I plan to join the US Military instead of Canada becasue theirs is much larger and not underfunded.
Also you get to choose your specific job. Not to mention, you get stationed in places like Hawaii and Virginia Beach, Florida etc. Instead of Colder places.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/100761/post-1043594.html#msg1043594

If that's the case, I don't think the Canadian Rangers are your "dream" job.  ::)

Well only one of us has been to the Arctic and Hawaii and worked with folks from the USN and the Rangers....I answered your question and threw in a bad joke. A crappy pun once in a while is the toll you pay for a pretty lame set of questions.

As for your "dream" of surviving in remote locations.......you might want to start small before taking you Lee Enfield into the arctic to survive on nothing but what you hunt. It isnt adventure tourism its hard work and dangerous.

Bike to Live said:
I like warm places, but surviving in a remote location is a huge dream of mine.

:cold:  ::)

Winning the lottery is a dream of mine.  The reality is I am better off saving money. 

Me thinks you need to find out more facts about the military be it Canadian or American.  Then have a look at your Romanticize ideals of it and think again how you want to proceed.

Bike to Live said:
OK so from what I have read, the Canadian rangers are located in remote locations. And they supply you with a Enginfeild rifle and ammo.

Do you need a PAL (gun license) since you keep the weapon at home and I don't really understand how it works, if you keep the weapon at your home, that means you are prepared to patrol at anytime? It also says the rifle is so you can "sustain yourself" Does that mean they leave you in the middle of nowhere for you to hunt your own food?

This sounds like my dream job if  the last question is true.
I am speaking of our (3CRPG) SOP's so other patrol groups might do things slightly different.
-The Enfields and ammo are kept in locked seacans.  They don't stay (as a rule) in Rangers homes, but the Rangers do have use of them for training and other purposes.  Since the Enfield is a CF weapon you do not require a PAL to handle one, all Rangers do receive formal training on the firearm though.
-You are not left in the middle of nowhere.  Each patrol is located within a community in the North and Rangers from that community form the patrol on a volunteer basis.  Each patrol has an establishment of 34 personnel.  The Enfield's are used more as a means of self-defence than an offensive weapon, so that when the Rangers are out doing their patrolling/SAR tasks they have something to defend themselves from predators.  Yes, the Rangers are prepared to deploy at anytime, but usually just withing the surrounding area of their home community on short notice.

Hey everyone,
Does anyone here serve with or has served with the Canadian Rangers before? In particular, does anyone have experience working with any of their more southern patrols (non-arctic)?

What was your experience with them? What was positive or negative? What do you think of the scope of the training they receive and the value they add to the Army?

Thanks in advance

logical1 said:
Hey everyone,
Does anyone here serve with or has served with the Canadian Rangers before? In particular, does anyone have experience working with any of their more southern patrols (non-arctic)?

What was your experience with them? What was positive or negative? What do you think of the scope of the training they receive and the value they add to the Army?

Thanks in advance
Question #1 and #2- Yes

Have a read back through the rest of the posts, while the original post was created in 2004 it still provides good information on the basics of the Ranger program.  Right now within Ontario alone there are 590 Rangers divided between 23 communities.  Just like any military organization there are positives and negatives, but overall the Canadian Rangers are subject matter experts (SME's) of their area surrounding their home communities.  Granted traditional skills are fading somewhat with the newer generation, but it's interesting to note that the Canadian Forces and the Rangers have helped in maintaining these fieldcraft/bush skills and encouraging First Nations people maintain their traditional skills as it helps the community and CF personnel when we need to go into the area for training or real time domestic operations.

The training that the Rangers receive from the CF is in the form of a 7 day DP1 to give them basic military knowledge, weapons handling training, navigation, fieldcraft, first aid etc.  Rangers that have leadership potential or are in leadership roles also have the opportunity to attend a Patrol Commanders DP2 course to give them further training in the area of running a patrol.  However, Rangers are just that by virtue of where they live and their expertise of knowing the land in and around their community.  So while the DP1 is something that we're trying to have every Ranger be qualified it is not mandatory in order to be a Ranger.  As well we in Ontario conduct in community training and FTX's, combined training FTX's and other events within LFCA in support of units.  So the Rangers have quite a few opportunities to participate.

Back