• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The CFS Alert Merged Thread

I believe I will be GD, for there's no more Comms Research up in Alert, and that is my trade. I hope that I can learn new things up there and travel a little outside because I do want to take photos. I also heard that sunrise will only come by the end of my deployment there.

Thanks for the advice, I need all that I can get!!!

Ive heard rumours that they arent sending military cooks up to Alert anymore, can anyone confirm or deny?

There has been allot of talk about using contactors for most of the support work up there and the changes have begun but as far as I know (having been there 2 yrs ago) the plan, at that time, was for the cooks to remain Military.

Just a quick question for anyone who's recently been up to Alert, I'm heading there this Nov and I've yet to find any real in depth info fm the DIN or google for that matter. I realize there's a site for Alert and I've read through all the joining instructions out there but they are pretty vague when it comes to the description of what one should and should not bring especially as a female going up there. Any information on what to expect fm this tasking is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Charlie 

navychick77 said:
Just a quick question for anyone who's recently been up to Alert, I'm heading there this Nov and I've yet to find any real in depth info fm the DIN or google for that matter. I realize there's a site for Alert and I've read through all the joining instructions out there but they are pretty vague when it comes to the description of what one should and should not bring especially as a female going up there. Any information on what to expect fm this tasking is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Charlie 

Take what you'd take anywhere else ... as a female. There's a Canex (Trading Post) ... you'll be OK.

Heres an entertaining unofficial civy link to give a little context.  Slightly dated.

http://timchristie.ca/alert/

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to pass along info on the subj. I am one of those people who like to have as much info as possible when going somewhere and to be just as equally prepared. This being my first tour I"m a bit nervous on what to expect and everyone I"ve spoken to with regards to the matter has given me either outdated info or info that contradicted everything I"ve read on Alert. Again thanks for the info.

Cheers

I would hope that this doesn't become an SOP while you're there:

The Cold Roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1OloqgNb54

daftandbarmy said:
I would hope that this doesn't become an SOP while you're there:

The Cold Roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1OloqgNb54

Normal.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt!! And the t-shirt for the polar bear swim, the Volkesmarche, the Boxtop Olympics, etc etc ...

LOTS of friggin' t-shirts in that place!!

Wesley  Down Under said:
Boxtop as in Boxtop 21??

Cheers,

Wes

Are you referring to the crash of Boxtop 22?? 1991?

http://www.tvguide.com/movies/ordeal-arctic/132405
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alert,_Nunavut

Op Boxtop is what the semi-annual resupply mission to CFS Alert is named. Pers actually stationed in Alert (vice those only augmenting during Boxtop) partake in an exchange event termed the Boxtop Olympics with our international brethern serving in Thule Greenland. Various Sports etc.

Well, we did the Boxtop Olympics in 98 anyway during my tour there -- I don't know if it's still on or not.

Overheard from our S Admin O to one of our clerks during my tour in Alert...

"Oh, you can borrow one of my sarongs"
"You have more then one with you?"
"Three actually."

Anyone know if Bernie gave it up after or if he's still going? He was talking about calling it quits after the next rotation or two while I was there, but he was also expecting contractors to be taking over most of the station duties at that time.

And BoxTop olympics were still a go as of last September (I left a year ago, I've got a friend up there now).

Anything you experienced Vern (From a female perspective) should still be 99% relavent.

Don't know about now but he was there in 05 and was planning to go back.  One of my guiys is going up in Jan I'll ask him about it.

To the original poster - If you like waking up to music make sure you bring a CD alarm clock.

Yes vern I have more friggin T-shirts and coins than I can shake a stick at.  Good for PT though.  ;)

I don't know how I could miss the coins!! I have 6 from there!!  ;D

I've also got a compatriot up there right now ... he shipped me down "The Wheel" (Wheel details are AlertSEC  ;)) 3 weeks ago so that I could incorporate it into our 'game' at the @Home the Officers this past week. What fun indeed. I didn't give them any t-shirts -- but I did give them some candy.  >:D

I miss Frankie from monster house lol i think i threw up on him once .

BernDawg said:
He is, definitely, a party animal.

He is ... I believe I have a pic of him and me partying 'er up one night (Halloween actually) posted in crackbook -- hopefully taken before bubba's time there!!  :-X

I was there from jan 90/june90 what a blur good gym though.I miss drag race'n up an down the runway with the gd vans and Fri bbq's.My buddy stoll the swoes truck one night lol.The funniest thing we did was short sheet the MND we got a few extras for that but it was good for morale lol...I'm pretty shore thats who it was... a well it was some important politicion lol.Anybody here up there around that time lol.

Back