• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The CFS Alert Merged Thread

I am going to posted in Alert From may- nov 2008. Can anyone who has recently been there give me updated details on the location, customs, culture, social organization, exercise equiptment, food, down time,wildlife, sex life (Joking), and the income tax/ northern allowance. Does anyone know what ATR stands for. Are the metals still given for the service? Can we fish there in the summer time?

RecceHunter said:
I am going to posted in Alert From may- nov 2008. Can anyone who has recently been there give me updated details on the location, customs, culture, social organization, exercise equiptment, food, down time,wildlife, sex life (Joking), and the income tax/ northern allowance. Does anyone know what ATR stands for. Are the metals still given for the service? Can we fish there in the summer time?

ATR used to mean Any Trade I believe, so you are probably headed to a GD position.  You should get isolation pay, one LTA half way thru your 'tour' that totals 17 days (travel time to-from Alert is included in that 17 days).  The medal you will get if you meet all the requirements is the SSM with ALERT bar.

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/018-21_e.asp

Try using the search function here and even Google for ALERT or CFS Alert.

I was told that it is a firefighting position and isnt supposed to be GD. The medal is supposed to the Special Service Medal with an Alert Clasp. Quick response from you guys, whats your trade, lol. Im just gunning for up to date facts on the place, specifically the amount of tax paid and monies that would be made as a CPL basic. Im getting different stories from everyone on the Arctic pay issue. Im just hoping to get a viable organic intellectuals perspective the tour.

Taxes?  You don't get a tax break like the folks in theatre do, to my knowledge.  There is no 'arctic pay' per say however...

As for the extra pay, you would be looking for CBI Chapter 11, Section 2 and Section 3.  Basically, you will get the Isolation Allowance (Table b to CBI 11.2.05 which indicates $477 a month) and the Special Allowance, CFS Alert (Table to CBI 11.3.02 which indicates $108 a month for -6 months in ALERT accumulated) for a total of $585 a month (if my reading and brain are working correctly).  (Note, as you read thru the Chapter, you will see where it says you are not entitled to both Isol A and SE.  Look for 11.2.04(11) (Other payments))  Info is in the link below:  (or you could ask the RMS Clerks in your O.R. to verify).

http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/cbi/engraph/cbi_chapter-11_e.asp?sidesection=6

Mod's this is a thread hi-jack, is there some other thread you can move this info to?

Jimmy4Now said:
The medal you will get if you meet all the requirements is the SSM with ALERT bar.

RecceHunter said:
The medal is supposed to the Special Service Medal with an Alert Clasp.

RecceHunter, if you truly want input from folks you have to start by doing your research first and taking the time to read the information you are being proivded. As seen just above Jimmy4Now had already answered your question.

Secondly, you are being "Attached Posted" and not "Posted", a significant difference between the two. As Jimmy4Now has detailed quite well for you, there no tax breaks in Alert as you remain on "Sovreign Soil". There are no inhabitants in Alert other then the Station itself and some widlife, so no concerns about culture or social organizations. The customs associated to the station will be "taught" to you once you get there.

Seriously, use the search function on this site and also give Google a try: http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=CFS+Alert&meta=

Thank you all for the information. You have been most helpful. I look forward to seeing the Canadian North and defending this sovereign nations boundries. You guys have provided me with a wealth of info. More than my BOR has so far, lol.

Thanks

A former colleague sent me this link because of the news about the Sep 12/14 events, but it also provides some excellent general information about Alert. Some members may find the photos and notes on this page interesting - some of the kit is quite recent.

An interesting note regarding 'remote operation': "staffing has been reduced from 215 to 74 personnel (2006), of whom only seven are directly employed in operations. The remaining 67 personnel are employed in airfield, construction engineering, food services and logistical/administrative support functions." That (10:1) is a really hefty 'tooth to tail' ratio!

Kinda odd that some of the more recent kit is listed on the site.... there may be a few 291ers out there that would lose hair over the "national secrets" being spilled.

The site is very interesting, especially the way it presents the progression of the kit. Outside doesn't change much, other than getting significantly smaller, and presumably more powerful.

Wow, I'm amazed about the water consumption of 70,000L/day!

Good2Golf said:

Damn garberators (every house, every sink, everywhere... there they are in Alert).

Remember that we get to live with our garbage up there, simply can't ship it off to the states like Toronto likes to do ...

Everything was garberated, and damn I remember running the water through there often and always. I can't believe it's been 10 years since I was there. Decades fly I guess.

http://www.ehow.com/how_16282_garbage-disposal.html

ArmyVern said:
Damn garberators (every house, every sink, everywhere... there they are in Alert).

Remember that we get to live with our garbage up there, simply can't ship it off to the states like Toronto likes to do ...

Everything was garberated, and damn I remember running the water through there often and always. I can't believe it's been 10 years since I was there. Decades fly I guess.

http://www.ehow.com/how_16282_garbage-disposal.html

Hi ArmyVern,

My uncle was posted up to Alert a while ago, I don't remember exactly when (I only remember hearing about it as a kid), but as far as I know it was within the last 20 years, his name is Danny Smith, he was in the Air Force, and I believe he was a WO. I was just wondering if you knew him, or met him while you were up there.

adaminc said:
Hi ArmyVern,

My uncle was posted up to Alert a while ago, I don't remember exactly when (I only remember hearing about it as a kid), but as far as I know it was within the last 20 years, his name is Danny Smith, he was in the Air Force, and I believe he was a WO. I was just wondering if you knew him, or met him while you were up there.

I actually know a couple of Dan Smith's. Trade?

ArmyVern said:
I actually know a couple of Dan Smith's. Trade?

He's Retired from the Military now, I haven't talked to him about his career since I was really young, all I can remember is he used to drive trucks around a lot, possibly supplies? Not too sure, I will call him within the next few days to find out for sure, he could have been a Supply Tech or a Traffic Tech, or possibly Mobile Support. He lives in Edmonton now, and has for as long as I have known if that's any help.

adaminc said:
He's Retired from the Military now, I haven't talked to him about his career since I was really young, all I can remember is he used to drive trucks around a lot, possibly supplies? Not too sure, I will call him within the next few days to find out for sure, he could have been a Supply Tech or a Traffic Tech, or possibly Mobile Support. He lives in Edmonton now, and has for as long as I have known if that's any help.

If you've heard the term "mobile support" --- I'd wager MSE Op ... a mother trucker.

I know a former Suppie by that name, and a Navy guy --- but no truckers.

Good2Golf said:

I think they confused the water consumption with the liquor consumption.  ;D

Just got back from my second tour in Jun.  Now that we've gone to mostly contractors for all the support, all the fun of Alert is gone.  No more Monsters, no more Chimo, no more Zoo.  For everyone who was there before and may ago again, keep the memories, because it will never be the same again.  :(

No Monsters... :'(
No Zoo.... :'(
No chimo... :'(
What's a guy to do...???
I 've heard that ALL drinking is to be in the mess and some Charlie Onion closed down the houses and banned the "old" mugging in traditions... 

:'(      :'(        :'(

They banned the muggins period.  We had our last big hoorah in April.  Mass party in the linkway.  70 out of 72 people drunk out of their minds (except for 2 lonely techs in OPS because of a stupid finger fault down south ... not that I'm bitter or anything!)  You can only drink in the Wolfs Den or the Arctic Club, so no more waking up the house bartender at 4 in the morning to get the keys (unless you were the house bartender ;D!)  So much has changed because a few very bad COs looking to make their PERs better.

Changing times.

The movie "Equilibrium" comes to mind.  What are we leaving our grandkids?  :eek:

Back