• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The CFS Alert Merged Thread

Hey guys and girls. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me some of the basics about a tour to the north. I don't have anyone in my current COC that has been up there, so I am at a loss for what to expect if I were ever to make it up there.

I suppose my first question would be, what can one expect to do on a daily basis up there? Also what is the min. rank that is required to go up there? What trades (if any) are most sought after for postings? In any case, could anyone tell me what I can do to get up there A.S.A.P. (sites, phone numbers, email contacts, etc.)? Thanks alot.

willellis said:
In any case, could anyone tell me what I can do to get up there A.S.A.P. (sites, phone numbers, email contacts, etc.)? Thanks alot.

Your chain of command, and only your chain of command, can have you tasked up there. There is no minimum rank, my unit sent a Private up there just a few months ago for GD.

What is your rank/trade/posting?

You don't get posted to CFS Alert - it is a 6 month tasking.

If you are a no-hook Private you might be able to get out to Eureka for 2 months - they are always looking for GDs for there.  Most likely would be in the system for those positions to be filled.

CDN Aviator said:
Your chain of command, and only your chain of command, can have you tasked up there. There is no minimum rank, my unit sent a Private up there just a few months ago for GD.

Thanks man.

Zoomie said:
What is your rank/trade/posting?

You don't get posted to CFS Alert - it is a 6 month tasking.

If you are a no-hook Private you might be able to get out to Eureka for 2 months - they are always looking for GDs for there.  Most likely would be in the system for those positions to be filled.

There are many options for Alert.  You can be attached posted (unaccompanied) for 3-6 months, I currently am attached posted to Alert starting in Apr for 3 months.  Anything less than 3 months is usually Temporary duty.  Many no hook Pte's go to Alert as GD's.  When I left at xmas they were looking for up to 6 GD's.  Some of those are untrained Pte's, as this is a way to employ them while they wait for thier QL3s.  Your unit will know if any positions are available thru your ops and training department (of course go through your chain of command).

Kirsten Luomala said:
There are many options for Alert.  You can be attached posted (unaccompanied) for 3-6 months, I currently am attached posted to Alert starting in Apr for 3 months.  Anything less than 3 months is usually Temporary duty.  Many no hook Pte's go to Alert as GD's.  When I left at xmas they were looking for up to 6 GD's.  Some of those are untrained Pte's, as this is a way to employ them while they wait for thier QL3s.  Your unit will know if any positions are available thru your ops and training department (of course go through your chain of command).

Right on. Thanks for the insight Kristen. What kind of jobs are there to do? Did you enjoy your time there?  I will be done my QL3 course in four weeks, so I will bring it up with my Sup on ship. Thanks again.

willellis said:
  I will be done my QL3 course in four weeks, so I will bring it up with my Sup on ship. Thanks again.

You ship may be more inclined to employ you on ship, doing your actual job since you will be fresh out of fleet school.

Funny thing is, you've probably got a better chance at a GD tasking without being trade qualified.

Couldn't hurt to ask, worst case scenario, they say no.

There's should be plenty of other opportunities to head to different places in the arctic in the next few years. Make it known you're interested in going.

BravoCharlie said:
Greetings,
I'm an applicant but would like to know

How does one go about being posted in Alert?
I'd love to go.

Do families go to Alert as well?

Can a civilian get a nursing contract in Alert

Thanks

Just to answer your question about civi nurse.  The answer currently is no.  This is because there are only 2 medical positions in alert.  One is a junior med tech QL5 ( cpl to sgt, although Sgt's very rarely go).  The senior medic is normally staffed by a Physician Assistant(PA).  It has been staffed by a dr. When very short staffed or by a NP (nurse practioneer).  As far as I know there has only been one civi medical staff ever there (might be wrong on this). That was NP and she was already a public  service employee working at a military base.  There really is no need for a civilian nurse in alert, and normally the PA position is filled by the military medical school in Borden and that position is now covered until end Jan 12.  With the QL5 position normally coming from Ottawa.

B

Here's a question, anyone know who has the maintenance contracts? I wouldn't mind going back as a civi.

The civilian contract is run by CBO (Canadian Base Operators) website is  http://www.canadianbaseoperators.com/home.html.  The have about 50 ish postions in Alert.

After looking at most of this thread, it looks like the way CFS Alert has changed A LOT.

That being said, can anyone summarize the current state of taskings?

From what I've read, they take ptes for GD which is mainly cleaning and garbage disposal, which are 6 months in length, and most of the other jobs have been contracted out. Is there much else?

Hey guys

I'm new here, sorry if I'm posting in the wrong location. I will be working in Alert from September to April for Environment Canada. I will be working at the GAW lab about 8 km from Alert but I will be living on the base. I know most of the general facts about the location, like the total darkness and the really low temps. But I'm wondering if anyone has any past experience of what life in Alert is actually like or could give me some advice on what to bring or tips about living so far north?

-Adam

And do you know if you get access to UAB? (Unaccompanied baggage, luggage shipped a little before you fly up)

Adam
I am here in Alert right now and will be here with you come the fall.  Will pm you the recommended kit list.  However of importance is extreme weather clothing.  Parka, hat, gloves boots.  You won't be allowed on the aircraft without it.  Also look at the holidays that you will be here for might want to bring things for those celebrations.  You'll have  a great time here.

Kirsten

It's the student position, I'm a University of Waterloo co-op student. My contact at Environment Canada said that in the past they even flew up another student's kayak so I'm assuming I can bring my personal effects.

Back