• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The current navy uniform

Sailing Instructor

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to these forums and the Canadian Navy (just finished IAP @ St Jean) and I'm very interested in naval uniforms.  However, there does not seem to be a lot of info on Canadian uniforms--even the CF dress Instructions is confusing.  So I've got a few questions that I reckon some people here could answer:

Why must the Undress Tropical Whites (high-collar white tunic & trousers) contain some polyester (100% or 65/35% with cotton)?  Doesn't a fabric known for being hot defeat the purpose of a summer uniform?  Do the people writing the dress instructions think sailors cannot iron?

Why no more ceremonial navy blue tunic?  Admittedly the reefer jacket looks sharp, but the army gets ceremonial uniforms, why can't we?

And as for 'navy blue,' how did it get to be translated into black? 

Finally (until I think of some more questions!), why don't we get a distinct insignia colour for the CADPAT nametags & 'epaule'ttes?  Without the navy beret I don't know how to address people because that little fouled anchor on the nametape is very hard to see.  Perhaps the navy doesn't wear CADPAT enough to warrant distinction?  Then again, the airforce gets blue t-shirts and insignia even though between the army and airforce a Capt is a Capt and a MCpl is a MCpl, so the distinction is purely aesthetic.

Anyway, thanks if someone can satisfy my curiousity and I look forward to using these great forums!

Sailing Instructor said:
Hi, I'm new to these forums and the Canadian Navy (just finished IAP @ St Jean) and I'm very interested in naval uniforms.   However, there does not seem to be a lot of info on Canadian uniforms--even the CF dress Instructions is confusing.   So I've got a few questions that I reckon some people here could answer:

Why must the Undress Tropical Whites (high-collar white tunic & trousers) contain some polyester (100% or 65/35% with cotton)?   Doesn't a fabric known for being hot defeat the purpose of a summer uniform?   Do the people writing the dress instructions think sailors cannot iron?
Polyester is also durable and lasts a long time. As for ironing you will always have people that will iron incorrectly even with the directions there.

Why no more ceremonial navy blue tunic?   Admittedly the reefer jacket looks sharp, but the army gets ceremonial uniforms, why can't we?
Space onboard a ship...hard enough finding space for all of our kit, will be even harder putting a ceremonial. Besides army ceremonial uniforms have always been part of an army units heritage. Navy and air force uniforms tend to me more functional. Not to mention the money required to design and buy these new uniforms. I am happy with what we have.

I have always called my CFs blacks never navy blue, not sure where you have got your info.  

Finally (until I think of some more questions!), why don't we get a distinct insignia colour for the CADPAT nametags & 'epaule'ttes?   Without the navy beret I don't know how to address people because that little fouled anchor on the nametape is very hard to see.   Perhaps the navy doesn't wear CADPAT enough to warrant distinction?   Then again, the airforce gets blue t-shirts and insignia even though between the army and airforce a Capt is a Capt and a MCpl is a MCpl, so the distinction is purely aesthetic.
The few sailors in Halifax that wear CADPAT have the fouled anchor. We have not much need for CADPATS anyways. I prefer our NCDs.{naval combat dress}

Ex-Dragoon said:
The few sailors in Halifax that wear CADPAT have the fouled anchor. We have not much need for CADPATS anyways. I prefer our NCDs.{naval combat dress}

Man is that ever true. The uniform that feels like jeans and a T-shirt!

Sailing Instructor said:
Finally (until I think of some more questions!), why don't we get a distinct insignia colour for the CADPAT nametags & 'epaule'ttes?   Without the navy beret I don't know how to address people because that little fouled anchor on the nametape is very hard to see.   Perhaps the navy doesn't wear CADPAT enough to warrant distinction?   Then again, the airforce gets blue t-shirts and insignia even though between the army and airforce a Capt is a Capt and a MCpl is a MCpl, so the distinction is purely aesthetic.

The reason the Air Force gets blue stitching and t-shirts is because CADPAT is replacing the old 3-E work dress. They wanted to keep something distinctly Air Force on it. As far as i know the Navy is not having their salt & peppers replaced with CADPAT so there hasn't been a special issue of CADPAT accoutrements.

Sailing Instructor said:

Navy blue was always very dark blue approaching black. It would seem to reason that black is the nearest modern equivalent.

Sailing Instructor said:
Finally (until I think of some more questions!), why don't we get a distinct insignia colour for the CADPAT nametags & 'epaule'ttes?   Without the navy beret I don't know how to address people because that little fouled anchor on the nametape is very hard to see.   Perhaps the navy doesn't wear CADPAT enough to warrant distinction?   Then again, the airforce gets blue t-shirts and insignia even though between the army and airforce a Capt is a Capt and a MCpl is a MCpl, so the distinction is purely aesthetic

I've just seen some of the blue ranks and name tapes... they're harder to read than the CADPAT ones. I would like to see us go with high vis (gold on black/blue/green etc) in garrison and CADPAT in the field.

BTW... I never mind if someone calls me WO when I'm wearing CADPAT, but watch out if you do it when I'm wearing my dress uniform!  ;D

my 2 cents on this is when i wore NCD's is that they are in no way as comfy as a set of real combats. there is a reason for the fabric they are made of   but the nomex's properties is downgraded when at / near the schools when some one is told to iron it . I just wished that some one could come out with a set of NCD's that are as comfortable as cbt's or even a set of the nomex coveralls the QL5 HT's / Firefighters get .

/  :fifty:

At the risk of enraging you salilors, I think you navy guts wear those ball caps too much  ::). Especially when you see a ship leaving or coming into port and you're all lined up on the deck, it would look better if you wore your white tops or at least berets, IMHO!  :salute:

Just a question Pencil Tech have you ever done any upper deck work on a ship at all? If you have then you would know why we wear ball caps.

Thanks for the replies everyone.  Personally I like my cotton, so damn the polyester whites!  Do you think  anyone would notice if I had a cotton duck set tailored for myself? ;D

Are the Nomex coveralls those blue suits that submariners wear?  I think they could look better than the current NCD, but then I'll keep my judgements to myself until I have worn NCD for a while. (Does one iron them while aboard?) 

As for 'navy blue,' that is simply the name I've seen DND give to the black reefer jacket and trousers.  Obviously it is not blue at all, but I wish it were as I believe it was in RCN uniforms.

What's the deal with ball caps then, in terms of upper deck work?  I of course agree that the white-top looks better, so I'm biased against them aesthetically, but what is their advantage (besides not looking dirty)?

Ball caps were not always allowed in harbour, we used to wear green berets, which became a frequent hot item for the   USN types to trade for, I once got a brand new pea jacket for a used beret. [doesn't fit anymore, :( but I see my son has taken to wearing it :eek:- it isn't from The Gap!!!]. I think Kootenay had the first [unofficial] policy of ball caps in harbour evolutions. Most ships always permitted ball caps at sea, I have a pic of my dad standing beside "his"   Banshee and wearing a ball cap, circa 1961.

I am surprised and disheartened about the Navy Tunic. I was so excited to toss the CF green bag into the gash in exchange for the DEU's, I think it is a shame to get rid of that order of dress .. eye catching, professional, authoritative etc. Does anyone have a picture of the replacement that could be posted?  

And, I think ball caps don't look too bad, they are appropriate for the job being done on the deck.     

I'm wasn't taliking about upper deck work, just in harbour when the TV cameras are there and the flags are waving.

Sailing Instructor said:
Thanks for the replies everyone.   Personally I like my cotton, so damn the polyester whites!   Do you think   anyone would notice if I had a cotton duck set tailored for myself? ;D

What's the deal with ball caps then, in terms of upper deck work?   I of course agree that the white-top looks better, so I'm biased against them aesthetically, but what is their advantage (besides not looking dirty)?

I was answering this post ... the most likely advantage is cost. They do seem to contribute to ship morale [individually] by indentifying the ship with the sailor. In addition, they make a great memento for when you leave the job. I still have every one from ships I was on, including the red Kooteney cap and the green Gatineau cap. Now, they are all blue/black. [ I think]

I seen a Navy ship on TV and the crew was a cop, a biker, an Indian chief and a construction worker? Very odd!

:cdn:

You wear your forage cap or beret for ceremonial reasons because it costs far less to replace a ball cap then it does a beret and forage cap as well when you are humping lines forage caps have a habit of falling off. Sorry you might not think its practical but anyone that sails does.

greydak said:
I seen a Navy ship on TV and the crew was a cop, a biker, an Indian chief and a construction worker? Very odd!

YMCA eh?

That and a black woolen beret and a hot sunny day is a horrible thing. I think you army guys should never wear bush caps. Berets only. :p

greydak said:

::) Oh my like I have never heard that one before.

Back