• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The DEU Sweater - Keep, Bin, Improve

Do you wear the DEU Sweater

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Ahhh, the DEU sweater. Ugly, takes one wash to pill it up, never fits well.

I've been thinking about putting in a request to the CAF Dress committee or would a UCR be the better route? (Or both?)

I personally favour a more Crew Neck style vice the V Neck (which after one wash migrates to your belly button.) What ever the kippers have seem to be much better than the crap we get issued now.

I miss the old one :(

I have only ever worn it when it was dress of the day.
Not sure what the impetus was behind the redesign? Seems penny wise/pound foolish to replace something that robust with something very much not.

Lots of the old ribbed ones still keeping sea cadets warm in 5s, looking only vaguely fuzzier and slightly more faded.

I would say using both a UCR and a request to the dress committee. I would also think that would be a low priority. I would rather see an improvement to the Short Sleeve and Long Sleeve shirts (better fit, more comfortable and breathable fabric...) before touching the sweater.

I like them. Great for hunting and stumbling around in the woods. The fact that I don't have to buy some overpriced, lesser quality one from an outdoor store is a bigger bonus 🙂
I can't speak to the issue items anymore.

You can get wet and still stay warm enough with that sweater.

Great thing about battle dress pants. Wet wool is warm. Cotton kills.
When I was in scouts I used to get stuff at the local army surplus store and had a battle dress jacket vest. Was awesome in fall for camping etc.

Ahhh, the DEU sweater. Ugly, takes one wash to pill it up, never fits well.

I've been thinking about putting in a request to the CAF Dress committee or would a UCR be the better route? (Or both?)

I personally favour a more Crew Neck style vice the V Neck (which after one wash migrates to your belly button.) What ever the kippers have seem to be much better than the crap we get issued now.
I like the CF green one i was issued in '85. Bring that back in black (errrr...Navy Blue). Although the RN actual blue ones look fine.

I have no idea why (aside from cost) they transitioned from the old actual wool sweaters to this abomination.

But yeah, shirts should be a higher priority, or at minimum, cover the cost of tailoring like the tunics.

I would also think that would be a low priority
I mean, shirts with cufflinks for the RCN got into the dress regs, so I don't think "a better sweater" would be that low of a priority.

I like the CF green one i was issued in '85. Bring that back in black (errrr...Navy Blue). Although the RN actual blue ones look fine.
I voted yes on the basis that this is still the sweater in use today. I liked mine a lot. When I was in Ottawa for three years I used to wear mine in the office in the summer because the air conditioning was like Antarctica in the Constitution building.

My only gripe was that the unit dress regs required it be worn under the combat/CADPAT shirt in the field which was somewhat arbitrary IMHO. I always wore my sweaters over the shirt.

🍻

I voted yes on the basis that this is still the sweater in use today. I liked mine a lot. When I was in Ottawa for three years I used to wear mine in the office in the summer because the air conditioning was like Antarctica in the Constitution building.

My only gripe was that the unit dress regs required it be worn under the combat/CADPAT shirt in the field which was somewhat arbitrary IMHO. I always wore my sweaters over the shirt.

🍻

Which is kind of the basic principle of proper 'layering'...

Back