• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The General Hillier Years. The Merged Superthread

TN2IC said:
But seriously I think he would have to take retirement as a CF member.
Why? The last one didn't.

I say keep him around for a bit longer, or prep leslie to take over after him......  No offence to the navy or airforce guys, but we need a couple Gung-Ho Types in charge for the next few years and shake out those cobwebs...

but thats just my opinion...

TN2IC said:
*jokingly* I heard the local Wal Mart is hiring door greeters again.

I doubt he'd be a greeter.  Maybe more like housewares, working alongside Ash from "Army of Darkness".

Cpl Thompson said:
I say keep him around for a bit longer, or prep leslie to take over after him......  No offence to the navy or airforce guys, but we need a couple Gung-Ho Types in charge for the next few years and shake out those cobwebs...

As a Navy guy, I agree with you.  General Hillier tells it like it is, and speaks for the Military.

I think the next best choice would be RAdm Girouard, the JTF(P) commander, once he gets a couple more leafs.  The new command structure puts all the Sea, Land, and Air assets, in the Pacific, under his command.

I see him every week at my current posting.  He really is an outstanding flag officer.  :salute:

Cpl Thompson said:

Leslie would probably be a good choice as soon he stops making political statements at Memorial Services.

Cpl Thompson said:

At this point in time the government has several able and gung ho choices for the new CDS from all three  elements.  The choice of CDS is that of the government, not the CF.  Although I agree with you, if the Liberals win the next election look for a much meeker CDS than Gen Hillier, which definitey takes LGen Leslie out of the running.

and that's my opinion.

2023 said:
or prep Leslie to take over after him
Leslie would probably be a good choice as soon he stops making political statements at Memorial Services.
No worries there, Leslie has been prepping and promoting himself for quite some time.

Back on topic, all General officers serve at pleasure (to my understanding) and can thus be retired rather easily.  They can also be retained if required; and there have been a variety of interesting administrative tricks used to keep some in service beyond retirement (anyone else recall the CIC CDS?)

They brought back deChastelain in the mid 90s after the Anderson and Boyle embaressments when he was 56 or 57 as I recall-the retirement age then was 55. Mind you Chretch had to offer him something after putting his nephew into the Ambassador job in DC.

"No worries there, Leslie has been prepping and promoting himself for quite some time."-Agreed. He was an operator at LFWA HQ in the early 90s.

If all the stars are aligned, Walt Natynchuck (SP?) is the next CDS.

Personally, I hope Hillier stays a loooong time....and I hope Walt takes his place.

And since Christmas is just around the corner (somebody had to say it) I wish that we bring back the Guards and the Watch,  and that we buy three Sqn's of M-1's per Regiment.

Merry Christmas!

I sure as hell hope not...He's the new life of the CF for all trades and has his life and his heart with the Arms of Canada...

Haggis said:
if the Liberals win the next election look for a much meeker CDS than Gen Hillier, which definitey takes LGen Leslie out of the running.
and that's my opinion.
Why?
Teh current CDS was appointed during a Liberal term in office & was approved by the Liberals.  Gen Hillier & Bill Graham got along famously.

I think he should run for PM after his time in the military .  When was the last time we had a PM with actual military experience ? In the Dangerous state of the world today .  I think having some one  with Hiller's experience as PM would be beneficial to our Gov .

karl28 said:
I think he should run for PM after his time in the military .  When was the last time we had a PM with actual military experience ? In the Dangerous state of the world today .  I think having some one  with Hiller's experience as PM would be beneficial to our Gov .

Lester B. Pearson served in World War I.  That's right: the last time a Canadian PM was on active military service was 90 years ago!

Trueau's service - a bit of COTC (reserve officer training) but he ran away and hid in Harvard when the shooting started.  He was a poltroon.
Clark - zip
Turner - zip
Mulroney - zip
Campbell - zip
Chretien - zip

Edward Campbell  thanks for the info . I knew it was a long time but didn't realise how long it had been . I think it's time for a change but that's just my two cents worth

boondocksaint said:
If we're talking wishlists, Lewis Mackenzie for PM, Don Cherry... foreign affairs

... and Mike Bobbit for Minister of National Defence...

Do I sense another poll coming here?

Now that we've named the tank let's name the cabinet! ;)

a78jumper said:
They brought back deChastelain in the mid 90s after the Anderson and Boyle embaressments when he was 56 or 57 as I recall-the retirement age then was 55. Mind you Chretch had to offer him something after putting his nephew into the Ambassador job in DC.

"No worries there, Leslie has been prepping and promoting himself for quite some time."-Agreed. He was an operator at LFWA HQ in the early 90s.

John de Chastelain came back from retirement AFTER Anderson AND before Boyle.

Just to clarify.

Back