• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The General Hillier Years. The Merged Superthread

I need a new front deck put in the house. How's Rick with a hammer and nails? ;D

I heard a rumor that he had plans to join the infantry as a corporal

Graeme said:
I heard a rumor that he had plans to join the infantry as a corporal

That's too bad, I hear we are super short on Supply Techs. I bet if he told you "You're not entitled" people would actually listen and not moan about how they didn't get anything ;)

http://www.cbc.ca/national/blog/video/rex_murphy/farewell_to_the_general.html

Rick Hillier is more popular than Avril Lavigne.

But let's forget popularity, Hillier owns a far less vaporous distinction.
He's probably the most respected public figure in all the country.

It's easy to be liked when nothing's going on, and no big deal to be respected when things are calm and easy.

Hillier's standing with the Canadian public comes however from his service as the head of Canada's military, at a time when it is engaged in active engagement in a still unresolved conflict, suffering the inevitable losses of real combat, in a war that claims far from universal support here in Canada.

He has had what is arguably the most difficult and painful job - though for true military being a solider is more of a vocation - of anyone in Canada, but from one coast to the other, from the north to the south, General Rick Hillier has earned almost universal respect and admiration.

The accomplishments of his tenure have a lot to do with this. He hauled the Canadian military out of the cellar of public opinion, and from the bottom of every government's real priorities. Within the military and without he refurbished its morale, bolstered its prestige. Other professions in this country are well regarded. Soldiers are honoured.

Canada's regard for its soldiers used to be manifested almost exclusively on Remembrance Day and other ceremonial occasions. Hillier brought that regard to every day of the living calendar. He recemented the connection between the military and the Canadian public.

A Canadian soldier today, therefore, man or woman, in army, navy or airforce, walks a little prouder, smiles a little wider because of that strengthened connection.

Hillier is smart, straight and knows what he wants. He works like a dog.
The modern military man has to know the battlefield and warfare, but he has to be equally skilled in politics, the media, the inside arts of Parliament Hill and the twilight combats of the bureaucracy. Hillier has the whole package.

He is distinctly unchoked by political correctness, and he could offer master classes to politicians (and journalists too) in the almost abandoned art of saying what you mean, and meaning what you say. His deepest gift, I think, was knowing what his real job was --- as he's put it often --- his first responsibility was to the men and women of Canada's military.

He said he was working for them and their families, and you know, they believed him. It was no pose.

Which brings me to the central characteristic of our now departing General. He inspired trust and people, in and out of the military, genuinely looked up to him.

The question his leaving might pose is why - in all the other public fields - and in politics which is leadership too --- there are not more like him. Hiller is as large as he is --- and this is not said to his detraction --- because leadership in other areas of public life is so flat, feeble and mediocre.

Some politicians are said to have feared or envied him. They would have feared and envied less if they tried to be bigger themselves.

We can leave that for now. This is Hillier's moment - I think we can all be very pleased that we have had a public servant --- for such finally a general most fundamentally is --- who has elevated the service he led,
and renewed the spirits and esteem of the Canadian military, and, the spirit of esteem in which we hold them.

For The National, I'm Rex Murphy.

I expect that in several years' time he'll be Lieutenant-Governor of Newfoundland (The Honourable John Crosbie was only sworn in a few months ago, and I expect the General would rather occupy himself with something a bit more strenuous in the meantime), and Honourary Colonel of The Royal Newfoundland Regiment (it goes with the Lt.-Governor job).

I have listened to a lot of peopel in the CF talk with great passion and conviction about what a great leader he is and how they would follow him anywhere.
Seems to me (strictly from talking with people) that it is his "this is what we will need to get the job done" no bs that made him so popular. He wouldnt sign off on things to make the politicans happy, he would give them the truth as he saw it. Thats my view, but I figure here would be the place to ask.
He really seems to have had the support and loyality of the rank and file. A very few number of generals have it.
What was it about him? What traits did he have that made him so loved and respected?

Why do you think he is such a great leader?

Suggest you read LWQ's post (just below, as I type) quoting Rex Murphy on Rick Hillier.

I think Murphy gets as close as necessary without getting too philosophical about leadership.

Canadian soldiers care about Rick Hillier because he cares about them.

Integrity.
Honesty.
Loyalty.
Courage.
Diligence.
Fairness.
Responsibility.

Pride.

He does them all awesomely well.  ;)

Oh, and if he's had occasion to meet you before, he could pick you out of the crowd to say hello the next time he ran across you too, just to see how you were making out. Lew MacKenzie was also good for that. That's a nice thing to experience for one of us 'men'- and it's something that I appreciated in both of them.

Their ivory towers weren't built to skyscraper level, rather they built bungalows. Ground level. Everyone part of that team, and certainly not shy to express their thanks to us "little people" for our efforts and hard work -- and really, had an uncanny ability to dispel the myth of there actually being any "little people" in the CF.

Leadership by example --- at it's finest.

I don't know how to put a finger on it.  But when he says that he's proud of us, that he gets his inspiration from us, that spending a day with the troops revitalizes him, and when he thanks us for our service...I get that he really means it.  From his heart.  I have rarely had a supervisor (at any level) who thanked me for my service, and I honestly can't remember really believing it like I believe Gen Hillier.

It seems to me, that the position of CDS is a political one and that, like it or not, once you take up that position you become a politician. The thing about Rick, is he never stopped being a soldier. Most CDS's just accept their role as a politician and fold to the every word of their politician bosses. Hillier knew what it was about, he never let the aspect of command leave him, and always employed the basic principles of leadership that make a good section commander, in order to be one helluva CDS. That's my view anyway

In 2006 while in Afghanistan, my Pl was in a small little patrol house when he visited. The CO and everyone else was there ready to brief him on numerous things but they couldn't nail him down until he had gone around and talked briefly with EVERY troop there, he didn't want any briefing or talk to anyone in the chain of command till he had spoken to every soldier there and asked how things where going. When he talked to you he truely seemed to listen and when he thanked you for some thing, you believed it, that it wasn't just the polite but meaniless thank you.

But that is just my take on it

E.R. Campbell said:
Rex Murphy on Rick Hillier.

Here is link to video and transcript: http://www.cbc.ca/national/blog/video/rex_murphy/a_salute_to_the_general_1.html

Also from my perspective, it was not just what he embodied, such as humility, genuine and passionate. But also what he didn't. He isn't/was not arrogant, sanctimonious or priggish, he never became or portayed political propriety. Rather as others mentioned he remained a soldier who lead by example who never failed to impress upon all the importance of people at every level.

SOLDIER702 said:
The thing about Rick, is he never stopped being a soldier.

Which pretty much sums up exactly why he has earned the respect that he commands ... and is exactly why he made such an excellent CDS.

There it is in a nutshell. Good on you (+1  >:D).

As a spouse with a wounded soldier I really appreciate his candor and his support.  He and his wife Joyce have always shown the greatest support for our families and they put actions behind their words.  I will miss seeing "the big guy", asking him crazy questions, and getting the information on goose berries. 

Many articles recently are discussing Hillier and saying what a bad CDS he is/was (as if he were already out the door).  Many complain that he was too high-profile, didnt heed his masters.  In general they complain that he doesnt know his place as a lapdog for the ministers.

This is so much crap.  The CDS is supposed to be a bulldog, straining at the leash.  The person who, when the going gets tough, you point at the problem and say "go get'im", not someone who asks "oh, more tea, sir, can I get you a cushion?"

On military matters, the CDS is the subject matter expert (along with his staff and advisors).  Not some politician or bureaucrat who is more concerned with playing favorites than in making sure the equipment is of the best quality and most practical use.  It is the CDS' right, and responsiblity, to point out bad choices by the political leaders we elected, and demand equipment that we dont have to get the job done.

Methinks a lot of these critics out there need a few lessons in what leadership is about and how important it its to have it when in crisis situations or when a job needs to be done quickly and efficiently... 

Hello Greymatters....I like the cut of your jib.
The CDS is the military advisor to the government of Canada. He is not a YES man, as we've seen in the past.
Many of the critics wouldn't last 10 minutes in a uniform before some crusty old man would be "Counselling" them for poor performance.
It seems most "experts" dona  uniform for 5 years, then get out and regard themselves as "experts" on the military
Scott Taylor and Sunil Ram come to mind. Just because you wear a suit now, publish a magazine (trash) and get to speak on CBC once in a while does not make you an expert. ARE YOU TWO LISTENING??

My dad said he was liked because he was assertive and had a mission in mind. He said when Hillier was being interviewed for the job of CDS he laid out huge paper on the floor with everything he intended to do, from restructuring and everything. You know, he was there to do a job, and take it seriously, not just holding a place. His euthusiasm and down to earth attitude was good to, you know, he didnt have that "general 30 miles behind the lines" persona or just visited for the odd ceremonial thing now and then.

Back