• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

I listened to this when it was on. The guy was completely out to lunch. He made the CBC look like idiots, even more than most times. The callers made good salient points. Fortunately, the interviewer didn't have a clue about the file, so she wasn't able to articulate any points or throw up any Blair strawmen.

The guy was completely out to lunch. He made the CBC look like idiots, even more than most times.
This is the same guy who was quoted by the CBC deriding the Windsor (ON) Police Service for buying more C8 patrol carbines (police assault rifles).

This is the same guy who was quoted by the CBC deriding the Windsor (ON) Police Service for buying more C8 patrol carbines (police assault rifles).
Yeah, I think all the patrol cars have one now. I'm checking on it now. I think the supervisor and patrol sgt SUVs still have the shotguns. I knew all this when we switched but I forget now.

Edit: all shotguns in patrol cars were replaced with C8s. That would be somewhere a little over a hundred for our little burg of South Detroit. Of course that doesn't include the armoury. No idea how many are in there for emergencies.

Last edited:
Saw this online. Clearly, they are shaking in their boots about the new firearms legislation:

Regarding some earlier posts, my former service (OPP), used to issue the Sig Sauer 229 in .40. It was a fairly large weapon for 'smaller stature' members and not a great plain clothes weapon. I switched to the 239 and it was indeed smaller (single stack mag) and lighter but for some reason I struggled to qualify with it every year so switched back. Before Ontario police were generally allowed to switch to semi-auto I was with a unit that was authorized to carry the Heckler-Koch P7M8 9mm which was a very sweet plain clothes weapon but, alas, did not meet the Ontario s/a regulations.

In the last couple of years they have transitioned to the Glock M17 in 9mm with rail light. I had heard that they were having ongoing problems sourcing .40 ammunition. It would also streamline inventory with weapons carried by specialty teams. And every patrol unit has carried a C8 for several years.

In BC, the Police Act mandates .40cal for all police services, other than RCMP and the Sheriffs (who use old 5946's as well)

Saw this online. Clearly, they are shaking in their boots about the new firearms legislation:

Regarding some earlier posts, my former service (OPP), used to issue the Sig Sauer 229 in .40. It was a fairly large weapon for 'smaller stature' members and not a great plain clothes weapon. I switched to the 239 and it was indeed smaller (single stack mag) and lighter but for some reason I struggled to qualify with it every year so switched back. Before Ontario police were generally allowed to switch to semi-auto I was with a unit that was authorized to carry the Heckler-Koch P7M8 9mm which was a very sweet plain clothes weapon but, alas, did not meet the Ontario s/a regulations.

In the last couple of years they have transitioned to the Glock M17 in 9mm with rail light. I had heard that they were having ongoing problems sourcing .40 ammunition. It would also streamline inventory with weapons carried by specialty teams. And every patrol unit has carried a C8 for several years.
Hmmm, when I read that article I didn't see any gun clubs mentioned, just OMG. That's a nice looking Walther P38 in the photo.

.40 cal has fallen out of favour due to the increasing terminal ballistic capability of 9mm and the lower wear and tear on the shooter. The FBI led the charge back to 9mm in the US and most major American agencies follow their lead.

That‘s probably not in the cards. They’ve even backed away from the previously planned ban on AR15/M14/Mini14 et al, replacing it with an optional buyback and new category of grandfathered prohibs (to go with all the grandfathered FN FAL, etc that are still in people’s homes, not hurting anyone). If they didn’t even have the political capital to actually take away AR15s, they aren’t going to push for handguns. Not at this stage.
It would appear the Liberals are caving to immense pressure from 30 odd activists and are backing away from a optional buyback or grandfathering. This, and growing resistance from provincial and municipal leader, may also lead to the national handgun ban long demanded by this powerful lobby group. That, of course, can be accomplished with another OIC.

Last edited:
in the face of resistance from municipalities and gun control groups, Québec's La Presse reported yesterday that the Liberals may allow provincial governments to ban handguns, something Québec has said they will immediately act upon, if granted, but only if it comes with federal funding..

For once, anti-gun Polysesouvient and pro-gun CCFR agree that MPs of all stripes should defeat Bill C-21, each for their own reasons. The danger, of course, is that the replacement legislation will probably be far more draconian than Bill C-21 as the PM will (to paraphrase Minister Blair) "have been told by the anti-gun lobby what he will do and he has promised to do it for them".

Not really gun control related per se but still an interesting read from the Vnacouver Sun.

Daphne Bramham: Knife violence is increasing in B.C. It's time to do something about it

Opinion: Two homicides in two weeks as random stabbing attacks rise across Canada. It's knives that may be the greater risk in Canada than guns

Author of the article: Daphne Bramham

Publishing date: Apr 08, 2021 • 1 day ago • 4 minute read •
19 Comments
Some of the weapons including knives found in a tent by Vancouver Police at the Oppenheimer Park homeless camp before it was dismantled.
Some of the weapons including knives found in a tent by Vancouver Police at the Oppenheimer Park homeless camp before it was dismantled. Photo by VPD

On Wednesday, a man walked into a dollar-store on Seymour Street without a mask on. When a security guard asked him to mask up, the man pulled out a knife.

He fled and has yet to be arrested.

Last weekend, three people were stabbed within hours of each other on the same block of East Hastings Street between Carrall and Columbia. A fourth was stabbed nearby at the Strathcona Park homeless camp.

The first victim arrived by taxi at the St. Paul’s Hospital emergency room around 4 p.m.

Close to 10 p.m., a 37-year-old man staggered and collapsed on the sidewalk. He died later in hospital of stab wounds — Vancouver’s fourth homicide this year.

Early Sunday morning on that same East Hastings block, four men attacked and stabbed a man.

Only a week earlier, a woman in her 20s died of stab wounds at North Vancouver’s Lynn Valley public library. Another 22-year-old woman suffered life-altering wounds in the random attack. A third was hospitalized, and three others had injuries that required medical attention.

Had the assailant had a gun instead of a knife, the Lynn Valley attack might have been a mass murder.

But there is no comfort in that for the families and friends, nor should there be for anyone. Knife violence is rising, across British Columbia and the rest of Canada.

In Victoria last week, police arrested a man with a knife who had “aggressively” been following a woman. He was taken to hospital and was held under the Mental Health Act. In 2020, he had assaulted a man with a wooden stick.

Five people went to Kelowna hospital in late March suffering from knife wounds. They had been stabbed at an outdoor “bush” party.

On March 28, a homeless man sitting outside the Main Street SkyTrain station was being harassed by four teens and an adult. A passerby intervened, was stabbed in the shoulder and had his hand slashed. The attacker was later arrested.

Another Good Samaritan was stabbed in the leg on March 26 when he tried to help a woman being harassed on East Hastings.

While police were arresting a woman at Dunlevy and East Hastings on March 6 for slashing tires on a parked vehicle, a 37-year-old man approached them and told them that the woman had stabbed him as well.

“Anecdotally, our officers are seeing an alarming number of unprovoked assaults,” Vancouver police Sgt. Steve Addison told me. “There are a likely a number of factors at play, including drug use and addiction, mental health, and anti-social behaviour.”

Vancouver police crime statistics don’t specifically record knife violence. But between 2015 and 2020, weapons offences nearly doubled, rising to 971 from 437.

Nationally, the most recent data is from 2008, when Statistics Canada reported that knives, not guns, were the most common weapons used in violent crimes.

From 1985 to 2008, the most common cause of violent death has seesawed between stabbings and shootings.

StatsCan figures show that while gun-related deaths nationally have averaged 1,300 a year for the past 25 years, three-quarters of those were suicides.

Our proximity to the U.S. likely explains why we talk more about guns than about knives.

But in Britain, which has similar gun laws to ours, knife violence has been a top-of-mind issue since consistently setting record highs over the last couple of years. Last year, use of knives in sexual assaults increased by 25 per cent, and in robberies it was up by nine per cent, according to the U.K.’s Home Office.

A CNN investigation suggested some reasons when in 2019 it found a correlation between the incidence of knife-related crime, the poorest neighbourhoods and a reduction in police officers.

To bring it under control, Britain has banned sales of some knives and restricted sales of others to adults only. Recently, the government introduced a bill that would give police more power to search for and seize knives.

That, of course, would likely find stiff opposition here given the defund police movement and calls for fewer street checks, not more.

The problem here isn’t new. During his years policing on the Downtown Eastside, Addison said hundreds of people told him they carried knives for personal protection.

Link

Dare one posit why civilians should continue to be allowed to possess excessively-long dangerously-sharp knives?

Dare one posit why civilians should continue to be allowed to possess excessively-long dangerously-sharp knives?
The reason the Irish carried shillelaghs and cudgels and turned it into a martial art. They were so fearsome in the proper hands that they were outlawed. The enterprising Irish simply turned them into Blackthorn walking canes. So never mind the Iron Age. There was a not so far off time that wooden sticks were outlawed. 🙂

It sounds like the liberals might be changing tactics. Adam Vaugh was on Twitter implying legal owners are loaning or renting their guns to gangbangers as the source of shootings.Screenshot_20210430-131031_Brave.jpg

It sounds like the liberals might be changing tactics. Adam Vaugh was on Twitter implying legal owners are loaning or renting their guns to gangbangers as the source of shootings.View attachment 65038
There are so many holes in his theory that one could drive a rented white van through the centre.

LAGO rents their gun to a gang banger. Gang banger gets shot by police. Police recover the gun and match it to the LAGO who never reported it lost or stolen. Wounded and in custody, the gang banger throws the (now former) LAGO under the bus.

Hopefully the gang banger paid for the rental in advance.

Back