• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

I am convinced at this point, nothing short of removing the firearms act and putting back in the pre-1994 restrictions will amount to anything. The OIC portion of the law is the most dangerous part as it allows them to outlaw any firearm (or all firearms) without even having to go through parliament.

Can only hope the Liberals get rightfully kicked to the curb for the division, hate, and discrimination they have brought to Canada and do some serious self reflecting as to what their party stands for.

Lots of chatter on the Enfield forums about the sweeping magazine changes the Libs want.

But its easier to ban things than actually try and improve society.

I am convinced at this point, nothing short of removing the firearms act and putting back in the pre-1994 restrictions will amount to anything. The OIC portion of the law is the most dangerous part as it allows them to outlaw any firearm (or all firearms) without even having to go through parliament.
I'm honestly surprised they didn't propose a national handgun ban.

They are now, $1b, to municipalities or provinces to enact hand gun bans.

Now, last time I checked, offering money to officials (elected or not) to enact legislation/by-laws favouring you (or in this case doing your dirty job for you) is called bribery. So, any other party noticed they can attack the Libs by attracting attention to that and then accusing them of not having the cahounas to do their own dirty work while claiming to be the GoC that "does something about guns on our street". Call them hypocrites all over again.

They are now, $1b, to municipalities or provinces to enact hand gun bans.
Contrary to what I posted in another thread in error, that's $1B total to be spread across all of Canada that elects to enact his ban.
Now, last time I checked, offering money to officials (elected or not) to enact legislation/by-laws favouring you (or in this case doing your dirty job for you) is called bribery.
Now, that wouldn't be ethical. Which is probably why they've chosen that COA.

Pretty sure last time this came up, there was a discussion of jurisdiction. Kenney and Ford both said it wasn't happening, as the province regulates municipalities. Trudeau claims to have a work around, but as far as I know hasn't articulated it yet. I'm guessing he really doesn't have the workaround and is dangling the money as a carrot to places like Toronto and Quebec for votes. Once in, he'll just ignore it like so many other election promises he makes.

The good news is that even if the CPC gets a minority government, they do not have to go to Parliament to reverse the recent legislation by the Liberals.
Not sure how many saw the French debate but…

when pressed, O’toole said he would keep the ban on “assault” style firearms.

That is very misleading news.

CBC just updated their story to clarify that he is talking about the 1977 ban, and NOT Trudeau's OIC.
O'Toole promises to repeal Liberal firearms changes while keeping ban on 'assault weapons'.

O'Toole's commitment to maintain the ban on "assault weapons" refers to a 1977 legislative change that classified fully automatic weapons as "prohibited" firearms — but he would still do away with the Liberal prohibition on "assault-style" firearms like the AR-15 and the Ruger Mini-14 rifle, among other models blacklisted last year.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/eri...pons-1.6163698

Regarding the Liberal's latest proposed infringements, it's not shocking, they will continue to use law-abiding gun owners as a scapegoat for their inability to actually curb gun violence. They always have and they always will, I suspect they will keep slowly banning something new over several more decades to keep this scam going with their base. They won't even present any evidence the OIC ban has improved anything or was justified in any way. They simply have never been or ever will be on the side of law-abiding gun owners.

I notice the "National Observer" (very left wing) is bringing out the "Hidden agenda on abortion" as well, the Libs are desperately trying to get some sort of fear mongering to stick.

I notice the "National Observer" (very left wing) is bringing out the "Hidden agenda on abortion" as well, the Libs are desperately trying to get some sort of fear mongering to stick.

It seems more and more like the last days of the Trump administration. I mean even Twitter is flagging them for this kind of misinformation. I sure hope it's over soon.

Pretty sure last time this came up, there was a discussion of jurisdiction. Kenney and Ford both said it wasn't happening, as the province regulates municipalities. Trudeau claims to have a work around, but as far as I know hasn't articulated it yet. I'm guessing he really doesn't have the workaround and is dangling the money as a carrot to places like Toronto and Quebec for votes. Once in, he'll just ignore it like so many other election promises he makes.
His workaround was likely the "Notwithstanding" clause.

The notwithstanding clause is totally irrelevant here. It only applies to some of the Charter's individual rights and freedom being "infringed" by either a provincial or federal law (not by-law or regulation), it has no application whatsoever in the field of provincial vs. federal jurisdiction as defined in the constitution. And the problem with Ottawa "empowering" municipalities is that it is a provincial field, not a federal one.

Municipalities can only exist if provinces "create" them, and then, can only legislate (by way of by-laws) on subjects they are granted the power to legislate in by the provincial enabling legislation - nothing else. Any by-law not supported by enabling legislation is considered "ultra-vires" of the municipal power and voidable by the courts.

OGBD, you make it sound like laws, the Charter or ethics matter to Trudeau.

Back