• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Khadr Thread

Thucydides said:
From Sun Media. One of their reporters was heckled and later assaulted for attempting to ask some pretty straightforward questions:

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/featured/prime-time/867432237001/khadr-s-lawyer-attacks/2902379828001#2902379831001

The sort of people the "supporter" movement attracts is pretty ugly

This should do it:
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/featured/prime-time/867432237001/khadr-s-lawyer-attacks/2902379828001#2902379828001

Edit: Yep, this link works. I think you may have been watching another video first, and clicked onto the Khadr vid, but it didn't change the link in the title bar.

milnews.ca said:
Unless the reporter did something pretty bad before she rolled tape (I'll bet $ she didn't), Counsel for the Defence sure looks like a dick here.

I'd go with Counsel being a "DICK".

I think he's just doing his job.

Khadr's case is almost as much political as it is legal, and political issues need a "narrative." In this case the reporter challenged Team Khadr's approved narrative so the lawyer attacked both the message and the messenger.

E.R. Campbell said:

Khadr's case is almost as much political as it is legal, and political issues need a "narrative." In this case the reporter challenged Team Khadr's approved narrative so the lawyer attacked both the message and the messenger.

I didn't see it that way, unless I am looking at a different video.

Just because she declared that she was from Sun Media, does not automatically give the Lawyer the right to ridicule her.

The reporter was asked if she prepared her questions prior to coming in, and she answered yes, to which the Lawyer ridiculed her for it.  Don't you think that she was being more than professional in doing her job by preparing her questions in advance?

The reporter asked a simple question, whether Khadr should not be considered a threat to Canadian society, and again was ridiculed by the Lawyer.  I didn't hear him answer the question at all.

Nor does it appear that the audience was anything but a bunch of ill informed professional protestors from the sounds of their heckling of the reporter. 

Nope.  I stick to my opinion that the Counsel was being nothing more than a "DICK".

George Wallace said:
The reporter was asked if she prepared her questions prior to coming in, and she answered yes, to which the Lawyer ridiculed her for it.  Don't you think that she was being more than professional in doing her job by preparing her questions in advance?
And he doesn't prep his questions in advance?

George Wallace said:
The reporter asked a simple question, whether Khadr should not be considered a threat to Canadian society, and again was ridiculed by the Lawyer.
More specifically, she asked what Khadr may be doing to prove he's not a threat - seems like a reasonable question. 

Now, he also said he'd answer the questions - if he did, I didn't hear the responses he gave, so he either didn't include the answers, or Sun Media didn't include them.

George Wallace said:
Nor does it appear that the audience was anything but a bunch of ill informed professional protestors from the sounds of their heckling of the reporter. 
:nod:

E.R. Campbell said:

Yeah, he sure helped reinforce his team's narrative alright - he sure showed Sun Media!

I agree that part of the defence strategy has to be to attack all comers, owing to the political aspect of this thing.  I don't know anything about this lawyer's credentials or competence but I am left thinking that his application of such a strategy appeared boorish.  Surely there are more sophisticated ways attack the message and messengers, no?  I dunno.

He reminded me of Rocco Galati, who previously defended another member of the kahdr family.  He wa prone to a certain degree of hyperbole and came across, to me at least, as a bit of a boob.

MARS said:
I agree that part of the defence strategy has to be to attack all comers, owing to the political aspect of this thing.  I don't know anything about this lawyer's credentials or competence but I am left thinking that his application of such a strategy appeared boorish.  Surely there are more sophisticated ways attack the message and messengers, no?  I dunno.
Good point - "how" can matter as much as "what".

Many years ago when I was starting in law I interviewed with nine criminal defence law firms and one civil law firm because I thought that a career in criminal law might be interesting and challenging. At the end of the process I had, rightly or wrongly concluded that criminal defence lawyers are either: 1 burned out and jaded or 2 individuals who consider themselves heroic and lone white knights defending the rights of the downtrodden accused from a rabid police state. I decided I didn't want to be either one and went into a career in civil litigation.

I've seen much worse performances from lawyers than this one although I think his approach here was unwarranted.(While my philosophy leans to conservatism, I have no liking for Sun News either. The question posed to him was a fair one.)

What really disturbed me was the heckling mob in the background. Their sniggers started even before the lawyer replied to her question. It's quite clear that there is at least a core group of idiots out there who really and truly believe this guy is just a poor little misguided kid. God help us, but I think their propaganda may be winning because if Sun News is the only media group presenting Khadr for what he truly is, then we're all doomed.

:gloomy:

FJAG said:
What really disturbed me was the heckling mob in the background. Their sniggers started even before the lawyer replied to her question. It's quite clear that there is at least a core group of idiots out there who really and truly believe this guy is just a poor little misguided kid.
Good point - I haven't been able to find any indication of what kind of gathering it was, although I suspect it was fellow travelers supporting Khadr & Co., organized perhaps by same.

This from the Toronto Star:
.... on Friday, but unrelated to the lawsuit, Corrections Canada lowered Khadr’s security classification from maximum to medium security, according to Khadr’s lawyer Dennis Edney.

Edney said he expects Khadr to be moved within weeks to Bowden Institute, a medium security facility in Innisfail, Alta.

“We had provided all kinds of overwhelming information that he was not a risk to anybody,” Edney said. “Omar has had no problem whatsoever in either institution.”

The move follows a recommendation by Canada’s prison ombudsman who accused authorities of unfairly branding Khadr as a maximum security inmate and recommending that his classification be reassessed.

milnews.ca said:
FJAG said:
What really disturbed me was the heckling mob in the background. Their sniggers started even before the lawyer replied to her question. It's quite clear that there is at least a core group of idiots out there who really and truly believe this guy is just a poor little misguided kid. God help us, but I think their propaganda may be winning because if Sun News is the only media group presenting Khadr for what he truly is, then we're all doomed.
Good point - I haven't been able to find any indication of what kind of gathering it was, although I suspect it was fellow travelers supporting Khadr & Co., organized perhaps by same.
Well, found a poster for an event in what appears to be the right place on the right date for the story in question - see attached.

It seems defence counsel may have been "playing to the base" in the room (also explaining the jeers) instead of playing to the media audience.  Yeah, THAT worked well.

That's cool, in medium he gets to walk around more.  Prisoners with a "name" don't always have an easy go with other inmates.......if ya' know what I mean.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
That's cool, in medium he gets to walk around more.  Prisoners with a "name" don't always have an easy go with other inmates.......if ya' know what I mean.

You mean there won't people supporting him on the inside?  >:D

Hatchet Man said:
You mean there won't people supporting him on the inside?  >:D

They support him, by holding him up for the next guy.... ;D

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Prisoners with a "name" don't always have an easy go with other inmates.......if ya' know what I mean.
Very true. It depends on what they've done.

If they beat up a cop or LEO type, they're good. Have sex with kids? Walking Dead Man

There's not a medium security pen in Ontario he can go to?  Isn't he a product of Mississauga or some other part of that festering urban toilet?  Why inflict him on Alberta?  We didn't do nothin'.

Back