• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Land Operations Temperate Boots (LOTB)

PuckChaser said:
That's a whole other issue, and we don't know what the direction will be once there's finally boots in the system. I'm the first one to admit I love non-issue kit, and prefer a lot of it over issue stuff, but I'll give the Terra/Royer boots a fair shake, and if they work I'll keep wearing them.

I love my non issue Danner Kinetics, but if I ever get deployed anywhere the CF will not resup me with them. They will send me issue boots.
This whole boot fiasco is a mess. We really have not learned a lot about procurement over the last 100 years, other than to make it harder to properly kit the troops out.

Jim Seggie said:
I love my non issue Danner Kinetics, but if I ever get deployed anywhere the CF will not resup me with them. They will send me issue boots.
This whole boot fiasco is a mess. We really have not learned a lot about procurement over the last 100 years, other than to make it harder to properly kit the troops out.

An RSM is always adequately prepared for all eventualities. That is why you keep handy a second pair of your favorite boots in your kitbag.  :)

Edit to add:

A quick Ebay search and I found they had more boots in stock than the supply system:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=air+boot&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=arid+boot&_sacat=0

Mr. St-Cyr said:
An RSM is always adequately prepared for all eventualities. That is why you keep handy a second pair of your favorite boots in your kitbag.  :)

Edit to add:

A quick Ebay search and I found they had more boots in stock than the supply system:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=air+boot&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=arid+boot&_sacat=0

Good point, BUT the WOs, Sgts , MCpls and the troops take their lead from the RSM.

" the RSM isn't wearing issued boots.....why should I?" Is what will be heard among the troops.

Jim Seggie said:
" the RSM isn't wearing issued boots.....why should I?  finally, a common-sense RSM who isn't glued to a 19th-century parade square"
        :whistle:

Jim Seggie said:
Good point, BUT the WOs, Sgts , MCpls and the troops take their lead from the RSM.

" the RSM isn't wearing issued boots.....why should I?" Is what will be heard among the troops.

Aye. And rightly so that it should raise an existential debate among the ranks but in the words of Sir Thomas Picton :

I don’t care how they dress so long as they mind their fighting.

Journeyman said:
        :whistle:

Good point but people above the RSM - at higher HQs - are the driving force behind the "thou shalt wear only issue kit no matter how substandard it is" regulations.

Which brings me to the point about fleece toques.....I shall leave that for another time.

Well said Mr St Cyr. IF the people in higher HQs would abide by that rule,....

Tell me about it Jim... we had a Brigade RSM who decreed no fleece toques will be worn only the "toque,wool, itchy/scratchy"...but yet he wondered around with a nice fleece toque on.....

:facepalm:

NFLD Sapper said:
Tell me about it Jim... we had a Brigade RSM who decreed no fleece toques will be worn only the "toque,wool, itchy/scratchy"...but yet he wondered around with a nice fleece toque on.....

:facepalm:

Great example of "Lead by example". :facepalm:

I received an email on Thursday that started with someone (not sure who) and went to Canadian Army Sgt-Maj Hornbrook, to the 2 CMBG Sgt-Maj, to 2 RCR's RSM, to the rest of us at 2 RCR, saying that two boot contracts had been awarded with pictures, supposed to be delivered to troops by "early 2015."

The zippered one, and the Terra were apparently selected. Both are much more "dessert" looking than brown.

There was a subtle undertone in the email chain that kinda of made me think that once these are delivered, they would go back to enforcing pers to wear issued boots.

IMO they'll enforce the no non issued boots policy. The same as they do with every other bit of kit in the CF. If troops don't use the issued stuff then they won't wear it out and need replacement kit, and if that doesn't happen then the CF won't have to order more of it, and some contractor in Quebec will go out of business because the CF hasn't ordered more of the over priced, and sub standard kit they produce.

Don't like the idea of a zippered boot or the other one that looks like the upper is only made of mesh........ my  :2c:

Yup, if you look back through the pages you will find them.... if not I can post them tomorrow.....

This warrants a Dumb and Dumber quote:

''Lloyd, just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber. You pull a stunt like this...AND TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!''

X_para76 said:
IMO they'll enforce the no non issued boots policy. The same as they do with every other bit of kit in the CF. If troops don't use the issued stuff then they won't wear it out and need replacement kit, and if that doesn't happen then the CF won't have to order more of it, and some contractor in Quebec will go out of business because the CF hasn't ordered more of the over priced, and sub standard kit they produce.

Glad to see your optimism. It would make life so much simpler if we were all issued the same size and type of feet.

NFLD Sapper said:
So RSM, what do you think of the two boot choices?

No opinion as I have not seen them nor worn them at all. If they are like my Danners they'll be ok.

RSM, I will send you the email I got the other day with pics of them if you want...

Back