• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Land Operations Temperate Boots (LOTB)

So I know the thread is a little dead, but I have been having trouble finding info elsewhere, and this seems the most appropriate.

I am looking to replace my nike boots that are falling apart, and if we are going to brown boots I will go that way. Though i have been told that there is an official directive that we are allowed to wear brown boots that are non-issue now. Is this a thing?

I may just be half blind but I read anything I could find on it.

You would need to check the C Army, then your Div, your Brigade and then unit dress orders.  Sounds easy enough eh?  8)

Ask at your unit. I've been wearing my coyote brown SWATs I wore overseas for a year now because there's no contract for custom boots (and they only gave me one set of COTS). Nobody really checks anymore, our boots are such a ****show, there's better things to worry about. Like RCCS tabs.

Marauder said:
A year after the last post, and I still haven't seen these "in the wild". Anyone know what's going on with getting these into general issue?

delayed spending as part of our contribution to balance the budget ;-)

Starting to hear user opinions on these boots.  Both types seem to have durability issues with the zipper failing one one and the heel cap separating off the other.  The cream coloured trim on the zippered boot is also quite bright and will not help camouflage.

MCG said:
Starting to hear user opinions on these boots.  Both types seem to have durability issues with the zipper failing one one and the heel cap separating off the other.  The cream coloured trim on the zippered boot is also quite bright and will not help camouflage.

This does not surprise me, I was always very doubtful of a boot that uses a zipper. Plus we have a history dating back to the first world war of screwing up the procurement of boots, probably the most important clothing item that a soldier needs.

dangerboy said:
This does not surprise me, I was always very doubtful of a boot that uses a zipper. Plus we have a history dating back to the first world war of screwing up the procurement of boots, probably the most important clothing item that a soldier needs.

But with all the LAVs we have we don't need good boots, right?

dangerboy said:

Is this when someone pipes up with the idea of a specific boot allowance, and an authorized selection of boots that one can LPO?  >:D

Dimsum said:
Is this when someone pipes up with the idea of a specific boot allowance, and an authorized selection of boots that one can LPO?  >:D

:facepalm:

Dimsum said:

One can dream I suppose.

My argument here has always been about the BTU.

And I do apologize if I come across as a tad crude, but I'm a Supply Tech set in his ways!

They say that given the numerous "sizes" that a bra can be, DND would need to dedicate a large amount of resources to the logistics of stocking, sizing and maintaining inventory. They came up with a plan - the BTU claim. A female soldier may go out to a shop, purchase undergarments necessary up to a set cost ($160.00) every year and submit the bill to DND for reimbursement. I have no issue with that. They say that a size off here or there is quite uncomfortable. I have not worn one (sober...) so I can only agree with this statement.

What I have worn (sober...) are combat boots. I believe we can apply the same principal as the BTU here. Let's get rid of the boots in the system and allow the member to purchase his / her boots COTS on their own. Up to a certain cost, reimburse the soldier. Maybe every 3 years, or something like that.

Quality control? Not a big issue, really - much like the BTU, we have to ensure it falls within some set guidelines. Young Cpl Bloggins finds a great deal on lace sets that include a crotchless panty (don't laugh - this REALLY happened!) and tries to claim it - no fly. 4 durable Nike sports bras - well done. IOT submit a receipt for a boot, it needs to be inspected. If it meets the color, material, and other criteria necessary it gets paid for. If not, suck it up.

Something like that.

BinRat55 said:
What I have worn (sober...) are combat boots. I believe we can apply the same principal as the BTU here. Let's get rid of the boots in the system and allow the member to purchase his / her boots COTS on their own. Up to a certain cost, reimburse the soldier. Maybe every 3 years, or something like that.

Quality control? Not a big issue, really - much like the BTU, we have to ensure it falls within some set guidelines. Young Cpl Bloggins finds a great deal on lace sets that include a crotchless panty (don't laugh - this REALLY happened!) and tries to claim it - no fly. 4 durable Nike sports bras - well done. IOT submit a receipt for a boot, it needs to be inspected. If it meets the color, material, and other criteria necessary it gets paid for. If not, suck it up.

Something like that.
That will never fly. It makes too much sense ;)

Lean-N-Supreme said:
That will never fly. It makes too much sense ;)

I guess the one issue would be what happens if someone in a semi or isolated posting has to get new boots?  How does s/he get COTS boots in Goose Bay or similar?  Similarly, how about deployed areas?

I like the idea in general though - makes a lot of sense.

Dimsum said:
I guess the one issue would be what happens if someone in a semi or isolated posting has to get new boots?  How does s/he get COTS boots in Goose Bay or similar?  Similarly, how about deployed areas?

Goose Ba would get them the same way as anyone else - delivered by Amazon.com.

If we moved to cots boots I think you would see some new stores, and even Canex (they carry some now) carrying the popular brands of boots.

sidemount said:
If we moved to cots boots I think you would see some new stores, and even Canex (they carry some now) carrying the popular brands of boots.
COTS = Commercial Off The Shelf
The new boots are COTS.

MCG said:
COTS = Commercial Off The Shelf
The new boots are COTS.
Sorry meant if they moved to buy our own boots for reimbursment.

(Still cots,  just us buying them instead of the military)
sidemount said:

Dimsum said:

Yes, the Amazon thing would work but I have been in several semi isolated and isolated areas and there are usually outlets there for Sears, some type of foot wear place... also direct from the manufacturer online works too. But I think a better approach (which definitely falls into the deployment category as well...) would be to get a little proactive. Again, common sense should prevail. If I knew my boots wouldn't last or the "due date" is up while on deployment, just buy them prior. Claim after. Same as isolated postings.

While the boot allowance is a good idea, what is the solution for new recruits? Do you set aside an additional day of training during basic to bus the platoon down to the local shoe store to but their boots? If you need to stock 34 different sizes to accomodate recruits' initial issue, you lose a large chunk of savings from the implementation of a boot allowance.

I know I'm really good looking, but I don't have all the answers... just yet!!

Back