• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Land Operations Temperate Boots (LOTB)

PuckChaser said:
They've stopped issuing the LOTB. If you've got it, you can exchange. If you don't, buy your own or hope they have your size in GP/DCB.

Anyone know the reason why?  I saw non-army types wearing them in Cold Lake recently (an ATIS Tech).  RCAF types/people posted to RCAF units are required to wear safety toe/shank boots IAW regs.  :Tin-Foil-Hat:

No clue, co-worker called clothing stores and asked about getting them, said they were not being issued. Likely due to quality issues, my Royers have been in an office for 5 months, and seams are coming apart slowly already.

Eye In The Sky said:
RCAF types/people posted to RCAF units are required to wear safety toe/shank boots IAW regs.  :Tin-Foil-Hat:

They are?  Does that mean I need to replace the old-style aircrew boot (the one that was the MK III but with bigger eyelets)?

According to the Div, yup.  I can't get non-safety LPO boots because of the RCAF policy and a few lines in the Sono Ref Guide that state pers handling Ord need safety boots.  Having dropped a 62 on my feet once, I agree!  Heavy little mo-fo's.

I know some people are holding out to replace their oldstyle aircrew boots or cbt boots because the replacements will be the 5 lb issue ones.  They are pretty heavy compared to what you have now.

IMPACT kit...same.  My LPO desert boots are Reebok safety toe and shank (composite, thank god, not steel).  Supply is not authorized to issue us non-safety toe, from the Div.

Now that I'm settled in my new posting, I was going to pop into clothing stores and get myself a pair of the fancy new brown boots.

Apparently not.

I have this feeling I should just go with a pair of Lowa brown patrol boots. The CAF doesn't appear to be willing or able to ever issue a decent pair.

The CAF doesn't have the funds for Lowas. They retail over $300 a piece.

PuckChaser said:

Oh, most certainly not, besides the fact that if you issued someone a pair of Lowas or Hanwags they'd be good for 7-10 years at least.

I should clarify; I was musing whether or not I should buy myself a pair of Lowas, or just wait until the next trial of new boots.

PuckChaser said:

Bulk purchase, and reduced design and rejection costs, would reduce that greatly.

Until we demand they're built in Canada. Then they're $500 a piece.

PuckChaser said:
They've stopped issuing the LOTB. If you've got it, you can exchange. If you don't, buy your own or hope they have your size in GP/DCB.

Thanks PuckChaser!

Well.... And here I was hoping my feet won't suffer in BMQ...

What happens when they don't have my size? I know GP is General Purpose boots but what's DCB?

Also, if I got not-very-enduring feet (i.e. If a shoe is not 100% comfortable I suffer a lot and get sore feet easily), and since all I've been hearing about the old boots (the new ones apparently as well) is that they're complete garbage (are they?), should I buy non-issue boots for BMQ, or is it too early?

Pardon me for my questions, I got way too much of them to ask my CoC, and way little time to do enough research (in exam period and BMQ's in 2 weeks...)\

P.S. I'm in PRes if it changes anything

Castus said:
Oh, most certainly not, besides the fact that if you issued someone a pair of Lowas or Hanwags they'd be good for 7-10 years at least.

I should clarify; I was musing whether or not I should buy myself a pair of Lowas, or just wait until the next trial of new boots.

I bought a pair of Lowa Z-8S GTX. Worth the money, fantastic.

I've been out doing dismounted Force Protection for about 3 weeks now and I've never had boots like them.

The support and comfort is unbelievable.

ZKC said:
Thanks PuckChaser!

Well.... And here I was hoping my feet won't suffer in BMQ...

What happens when they don't have my size? I know GP is General Purpose boots but what's DCB?

Also, if I got not-very-enduring feet (i.e. If a shoe is not 100% comfortable I suffer a lot and get sore feet easily), and since all I've been hearing about the old boots (the new ones apparently as well) is that they're complete garbage (are they?), should I buy non-issue boots for BMQ, or is it too early?

Pardon me for my questions, I got way too much of them to ask my CoC, and way little time to do enough research (in exam period and BMQ's in 2 weeks...)\

P.S. I'm in PRes if it changes anything

DCB = Desert Combat Boot

LunchMeat said:
I bought a pair of Lowa Z-8S GTX. Worth the money, fantastic.

I've been out doing dismounted Force Protection for about 3 weeks now and I've never had boots like them.

The support and comfort is unbelievable.
Was gonna get the same boots as my next pair, but they don't make a non-Goretex version of them. I find that my feet get sweaty in Goretex boots and the moisture just gets trapped inside.

ZKC said:
should I buy non-issue boots for BMQ, or is it too early?

I wouldn't, that'll depend on your staff. If they say you can, go for ir. But I'd honestly wait until after basic. Likewise does your home unit allow non issued boots?

runormal said:
I wouldn't, that'll depend on your staff. If they say you can, go for ir. But I'd honestly wait until after basic. Likewise does your home unit allow non issued boots?

Frankly, I don't know. All they gave me were my file and some (typo-ridden) joining instructions for BMQ. The bare minimum I'd say, but hey what do I know?

But how bad are the issued ones? Are they as horrible as people say? I'm still in school so I'm still not sure if it's worth it (to buy commercial boots) 

ZKC said:
Frankly, I don't know. All they gave me were my file and some (typo-ridden) joining instructions for BMQ. The bare minimum I'd say, but hey what do I know?

But how bad are the issued ones? Are they as horrible as people say? I'm still in school so I'm still not sure if it's worth it (to buy commercial boots) 
I would stick with issued kit at least until you finish your DP1 and then look around your unit and see what the guys with more time in are wearing, or not wearing, in terms of non-issued kit.

They're not terrible for most people, but it's lowest bidder boots with neither comfort or functionality in mind. Try them out first with an open mind, I didn't mind DCBs but they just can't size for my feet.

PuckChaser said:
They're not terrible for most people, but it's lowest bidder boots with neither comfort or functionality in mind. Try them out first with an open mind, I didn't mind DCBs but they just can't size for my feet.
I've found the fit, comfort and weight better than the mk 4's.

DCB was likely the best out of the gongshow of boots we've had, too bad mondopoint is terrible, otherwise I'd have no problems wearing them.

PuckChaser said:
Arty39 said:
I've found the fit, comfort and weight better than the mk 4's.

Thank you, I will definitely keep an open mind and hope for the best. In the meanwhile, do they issue used boots? I get athlete's foot pretty easily and it stays for at least a few months (got issued used boots in cadets, stayed for almost a year; borrowed a friend's shoes for a short gym session - 2 months), which is very annoying.

Back