• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Life of a Sig Op

mechanic_chick

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys...
Can someone tell me right after basic.. what sig ops do , where they go , what the name is of the courses , some hints and tips on the courses ,  your lingo lol , anything ..

thatd be perfect

thanks.

*JESSO*

Once you will finish basic, hopefully right away (otherwise you cool your heels in Borden) you do your QL3, or signals Operator Apprentice course in Kingston.

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/army/jobs_e.aspx

This gives the General info about the trade. What you do specifically depends on where you get posted. As a Sig Op, you can go pretty much anywhere, and can expect to be overseas at some point.

As far as hints and tips, know the technical and theoretical information, pay attention. Just like any other course, study your material.

Before QL3, woulden't you be doing your LS Driver Wheel(most likely when in PRETC at Borden) an SQ(most likely in Meaford).

Thats what I was told during my interview anyways. I'll be finding out in January when I leave for my courses, etc

MikeL said:
Before QL3, woulden't you be doing your LS Driver Wheel(most likely when in PRETC at Borden) an SQ(most likely in Meaford).

Thats what I was told during my interview anyways. I'll be finding out in January when I leave for my courses, etc

I suppose so, although as per other threads, some units have run their SQ in the past. Mike, are they not writing off your SQ?

I gotta do SQ.

All I really wanted was the Recruit School By Pass(which I got). I don't mind doing the Reg Force SQ, since you actually get to go out an do everything, more time spent on things, etc.

Three guesses on you being loaded on the 26 APR 05 QL3 course in Kingston. Until then, PRETC my friend. Driver training and a lot of time spent in the smoke tent from what I hear. Will be there 3 JAN 05.. smile.

SQ..have heard they are now doing that at your first posting. ie. Pet, Edmonton, Valcatraz

See ya in Borden, lots of chug-a-lug in your future.

Smoke tent?

You sure people are only doing SQ once they get to a unit? Seems like a waste of time having troops waiting in PRETC doing nothing for a few months when they could be doing SQ.

Smoke tent, smoking tent, same thing. Where people go to smoke...

Would make sense if we are doing SQ after getting to our units, because that is the whole reason we are going to PRETC, because there is a shortage of personnel to train us new boots.

Haven't even reported to PRETC yet though so it's just speculation as to the reason, but it's just the rumour I've heard..

Got'cha, I don't smoke so I've never been to a smokers tent.

Anyways,you're right, PRETC is just meant to hold pers untill they go on course. But I know SQ courses are run fairly often, and at a lot of different bases. On the other hand though, some trade courses aren't run that often, so thats why people can wait in PRETC for awhile.

I guess I'll be seeing you guys at PRETC, I'm flying out on the 1st to Toronto.

I was thinking that I'd be doing SQ along with drivers training at PRETC, however it would make sense that us Sig Ops would instead be getting trained at our respective units.

Hoover said:
Three guesses on you being loaded on the 26 APR 05 QL3 course in Kingston. Until then, PRETC my friend. Driver training and a lot of time spent in the smoke tent from what I hear. Will be there 3 JAN 05.. smile.

SQ..have heard they are now doing that at your first posting. ie. Pet, Edmonton, Valcatraz

See ya in Borden, lots of chug-a-lug in your future.

We are'nt doing SQ in Pet thus far. It is still being run before your 3's

Hi guys, just wondering if someone could make clarification for me.

I have read most of the posts on this site and I have procured which I believe is most of the information available online in regards to signal operator's.  However there seems to be numerous articles and posts that contradict each other.

I understand BMQ is of course first,
and I have read and I have been told that SQ is second.  However I have also been informed that the reason that BMQ has been extended by a few weeks is because they are incorporating SQ into BMQ.  Is that statement correct, or with somebody blowing smoke straight up my backside.

And once that is completed, I've been told or I have read approximately six different directions that I'm a go.
Including driver training, straight to a communications unit for on-the-job training, Q L3, and a few other abbreviations that I'm unfamiliar with.

I apologize for the abundance of questions, however I'm kinda like a Boy Scout I like to be prepared, and I am sure my preparation and research in this matter will benefit me down the road.

Thanks a lot
walrus

If you think that anyone on this forum will be able to give you the information you just asked for, you are out to lunch.  There is no way that anyone here can give you that information.  We don't know when you are going on Course, nor how much time you will have between courses, nor what your bosses will decide to do between courses (ie. put you on a Driver Course or whatever).  You will just have to be patient and find out as you finish your courses as to where you will go next.

OK thanks anyways George

I just assumed that there was a standard procedure in what order you take your courses.  My apologies for asking a dumb question, however at the time of my query I did not believe it to be a stupid question.

Thanks again for the speedy response, I'll just have to wait as you suggested, I kinda feel like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting open his gifts.

Thanks again

Walrus

Hoover said:
Until then, PRETC my friend. Driver training and a lot of time spent in the smoke tent from what I hear.

Don't fall asleep in the smoke tents (hard to do now since its winter but still). A certain Highlander MCpl likes to "wake" those who nod off. And pay attention to some of the cap badges.. There are few Master -Bombadiers- not Corporals, there, and they will get real pissed at you real fast if you call them the latter.

There is one MCpl there that is an EME who has a tremendous sense of humour, if you're in his company go to him to get things done (if you can).

Walrus,  In order to start your trades apprentice training (QL3) you have to be qualified on our trucks so you will have to complete BDT (basic driver trg) before going on your 3's. As I said before we are not (yet anyway) doing SQ at Pet so the odds are you will do it before you go on your 3's. I too have heard the rumor that SQ is being folded into BMQ but I heard that there will be 2 diffrent BMQ courses; BMQ common and BMQ Land. As George said nobody can give you a solid answer to your question but just some " this is what usualy happens". If you have any other questions about the trade specificly feel free to PM me and I will answer what I can or direct you to someone who can.

SQs are no longer in units.  They will be in one of the area trg centres.  Don't worry too much about what is going to happen next as it will depend on position availability and for the most part you will be on PAT platoon while awaiting the next phase of your training.  Be thankful as a few years ago, it was not uncommon to be on PAT platoon for up to a year and a half.

You probably know a few, eh cnd sigs.

Umm haha.. Okaaay. I guess this helped. Thanks? lol.

So... .. aww. Basic. Then.. Kingston?! Remember - i know nothing.. wtf is PRETC?! ...

If anyone wants to actually talk with me.. and explain course by course if yah have time.. thatd be cool just add me to msn.

And drivers wheel? Crap.

Thanks...

*JESSO*

As far as I know, SQ will be added to BMQ however; some members are in Borden now without their SQ because they did their BMQ before this was in place, which was BMQ only. They must complete their SQ before doing their QL3(in the Sig Op trade at least) or else we(the school) send them back to Borden.

Back