• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Merged Thread on Gay/ Homosexual Topics and the CF.

milnewstbay said:
Highlights mine - shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

Soldiers ready to march with Pride parade
Canadian Forces allowed, for first time, to participate openly

Sarah Barmak, Toronto Star, 27 Jun 08
Article link

"We're not going to be in full uniform," he said. "We'll wear short sleeves because of the weather."

The soldiers will march alongside firefighters, police and people representing Toronto Crime Stoppers, the latter who are also marching at Pride for the first time.

I was under the impression CF members were allowed to march in pride parades, however they were not to wear any uniform, but if asked could identify themselves as a member of the CF. Not at work so I can't pull the CANFORGEN I saw on it...

This is the worst logic to address an issue....

How so? Wonder what would happen if any group didn't let the gay community march in its parade because some random dude was bum raped back in his home country? Sorry, its a double standard and I'm personally starting to get really annoyed with it..

This is the nonsense that is what's hurting Canada.  We buckle to complaints too easily.  This person is a recent immigrant who came here, doesn't like the way we do things in OUR country so they demand we conform to them.  We need to start telling immigrants that they must conform to the general way of life in Canada or don't come.

And secondly can they really stop the CF from coming? If CF members showed up in the crowd in uniform handing out flyers or whatnot would they have grounds to stop us?  It's a public street.  Probably a touchy subject that I wouldn't think the cops would want to get involved with if they didn't have to. 

Its a good thing. Army guys not welcome at a freakish parade of tranvestites? How many of you were planning on going anyway?

Ah, gee Bob, I have quite a few gay friends, some of whome are serving.  If they asked me to come to the parade and march with them I would be more than honoured to do so.

Sythen said:
How so? Wonder what would happen if any group didn't let the gay community march in its parade because some random dude was bum raped back in his home country? Sorry, its a double standard and I'm personally starting to get really annoyed with it..

It's not a double standard because people do things like "we should have a white parade" or "fuck that we should be able to have a straight parade" out of spite.  If those groups were oppressed then you'd have a case.

I'll agree about political correctness and that some sort of a double standard exists, but using analogies like a 'straight parade' makes your argument look foolish, that's all.

When I think of the canadian forces and some civy organizations I shouldnt have to think of Rodney Dangerfield saying "I get no respect, I gets no respect" as well

I remember being in Montreal and stumbling upon ‘Diversity’.  They had a CF recruiting booth there set up.  I remember my American friends making … well I’ll say off colour comments on not just the people the CF would attract, but started digging in to how the Canadian military would get excluded from NATO missions because no one would want to go to war with us, because we’d slap and pinch….

Sometimes it is hard not to use “percussive” therapy when explaining basic things; but I tried.  American army has gays… the fact they need to hide it or risk losing their job is not just unfair it could be an extreme weakness… blah blah blah

Now as for straight pride parades… good idea.  Let me know when your straight friend got beaten up – hospitalized- and kicked out of his home by his father because he was unable to hide he was straight. (As happened to my friend and former coworker) 

When you have to have to reject negative stereotypes and overcome the unjust shame placed on you. When you’re forced to discover yourself worth,  in the face of people telling you that you’re inferior, worthless, diseased and disgusting… then you get a parade.

Now,  I think the CF should march in the parade … big water guns…  I’d love to see a perfectly executed section attack.  (I’m thinking of how political parties are there and certain politicians

Look at the attached picture and say to yourself “Charlie team,  take a bound”...  (I'm just having fun ;) )

Exactly.
We (the CF "We") are supposed to be all good that Canadians see themselves (other than killing scumbags, but hey, who's perfect?). We are supposed to be tolerant of our fellow Canadians. We are supposed to respect our fellow soldiers and base our opinion of them on thier job performance, not thier colour, gender, religion, how they dress when not in uniform, or whom they sleep with at night.

Money is supposed to be where the mouth is...

I think the rainbow LAV was a serious question, not a sarcastic comment.  Once parades like this get more and more publicity and people put in the proper requests it wouldn't be too far fetched to see a LAV on such a parade.  Not painted, but colourfully adorned.

If you don't ask, you don't get..

So the troops'll be in DEU 3Bs from what I am guessing?  That's good cause they can wear their earned ribbons and awards and show that we in the CF don't discriminate.  It's great to see the normalcy finally coming to the country.. bit by bit.. when people can just realize we are all the same despite colour, sex, income, etc... then we can concentrate on important things, like wiping out poverty, etc.  I am glad we are such a tolerant country.

Happy Canada day!!!

Zell_Dietrich I'll have to strongly disagree with you, I gotta say people shouldn't be oppressed in order to have the right to parading pride, people should be allowed to parade about whatever they want, sure some subjects could spark controversial comments, but it's the risk the organisers know they take by having the event take place.

I've seen alot of strange events about strange things, why shouldn't we have "normal" events about "normal" things?

Ghyslyn, we do: Canada Day parades, Christmas parades, Remembrance Day parades, and many other local events such as the Apple Blossom parade where I'm from. All which you would probably consider 'normal.'

I'm mystified why ones sexual proclivities are grounds for a public display of any kind.  Yes, I know, persecution, abuse, yadda yadda yadda.  Don't get me wrong, be as gay/bi/trans as you want, it's a big planet with lots of room for everyone. Is there really a need to be in everyones face about it?

Kat Stevens said:
I'm mystified why ones sexual proclivities are grounds for a public display of any kind.  Yes, I know, persecution, abuse, yadda yadda yadda.  Don't get me wrong, be as gay/bi/trans as you want, it's a big planet with lots of room for everyone. Is there really a need to be in everyones face about it?
I think you've said more eloquently what I feel than how I could have said it (if that makes any sense).  EVERY group out there has been oppressed, "beat up by dad" or whatever.  As one example, a friend of mine was talking with me a few weeks ago about an eye opening (to him) documentary on television a while back.  The focus of the show was how Roman Catholics are probably the most maligned group in current popular culture these days (you know the jokes: pedophile priests, misogynistic system, oppressive culture, repressive, murderous even in that they preach against contraceptives, etc and so forth).  Homosexuals aren't the only group to be kicked around, so that argument doesn't hold water with me.  But, in the spirit of live and let live, if one is "allowed" (politically) to be proud of one's sexual orientation, then abandon the exclusive "gay" pride parade and instead have a "love" parade as they do in Berlin every year.  Instead of being "us" vs "them" (as a gay pride parade is perceived by some), have an inclusive parade celebrating humankind's ability to love itself.
"Straight Pride" is as odd a concept as "Gay pride". Me, I'd much rather be proud of my accomplishments than my preference.  But that's just me.

Kat and MR,  here's hoping the "so what" attitude that you guys have will catch on a little bit more.  I once saw a poster of various men working in construction.  The caption on top said, "Which one of these men is gay?"  The bottom said, "Who cares?"

Strike said:
Kat and MR,  here's hoping the "so what" attitude that you guys have will catch on a little bit more.  I once saw a poster of various men working in construction.  The caption on top said, "Which one of these men is gay?"  The bottom said, "Who cares?"
I hope it does too.  Being gay or straight to me is irrelevant (as long as the chick I'm picking up is at least bi!) ;D

As an oppressed gun owner, I yearn for the day when we can have a Gun Pride Parade in Toronto.

Strike said:

Not so much "so what" as "none of my friggin' business".  I don't care if your predilection is to shag a snake, as long as the snake is okay with it, but I don't need to see a parade celebrating the fact.

Kat Stevens said:

:) http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080626.wcowent26/BNStory/specialComment/?query=

Pride's just busting out all over
MARGARET WENTE

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

E-mail Margaret Wente | Read Bio | Latest Columns
June 26, 2008 at 7:58 AM EDT

Yes, folks, it's that time of year again. Time to get out the feathers and the leathers and the nipple rings, and celebrate the wonderful diversity that is Pride Day. Time, if you are a politician, to parade your liberal bona fides and court the gay vote, which, in Toronto, is not inconsiderable, to say nothing of the incredible bonanza that Pride Day means for tourism. Time, if you hate crowds, to get the heck out of the city until they all go home.

"Why don't they call it the Gay Pride Parade any more?" my husband asked.

"Because 'gay' is not inclusive," I said. "Now it's GLBT."

Actually, Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender does not begin to cover it. All these groups are divided into subgroups, each of which has its own pride, identity, support groups and discrimination issues. There are male-to-female transsexuals who have breasts and complain about being rejected by feminists because they're too feminine. There are transmen (female-to-male transsexuals) who complain they're barred from all-male S&M clubs. There are transmen who have surgically constructed male parts (known as "dangly bits") and those who don't. There are transmen who prefer sex with men, ones who prefer sex with women and, for all I know, ones who prefer sex with budgies.

Now there's even a pregnant man - Thomas Beatie, whose due date is next week. "How does it feel to be a pregnant man?" he wrote. "Incredible. Despite the fact that my belly is growing with new life inside me, I am stable and confident being the man I am."

Before becoming pregnant, Mr. Beatie was a teenage beauty queen. Since then, he had gender-reassignment surgery, legally changed his sex, and got married to a woman. Today, he wears checked shirts and a beard, and wields a chainsaw. When he appeared on Oprah, she patted his protruding belly and called this development "a new definition of what diversity means for everybody."

I like to think I'm reasonably open-minded. But the new normal is always a step or six ahead of me. Just when I think I've caught up to it, my husband picks up a copy of Now Magazine and reads me Dan Savage's column. It is not to be missed. Mr. Savage gives sex advice to people who are engaged in practices I never could have dreamed of. Take, for example, the little old lady who likes to masturbate her budgie to orgasm. "Is this perverted?" a reader asked. Mr. Savage answered no - on the grounds that both parties enjoyed it, and they weren't hurting anyone else.

Well, far be it from me to deny the polymorphous perversity (oops, diversity) of human and avian sexual behaviour. As somebody once said, "I don't care what people do, so long as they don't do it in the street and scare the horses."

But a funny thing has happened. Now that merely being gay is normal, people who want to be transgressive have to fight harder and harder for attention. Now that two men kissing is a yawn, it takes a lot to épater la bourgeoisie. You get the feeling that some people want to have it both ways. They want to shock - and they also want society to accept the outer edges of sexual behaviour (as seen on the Queertransmen website) as if they were family picnics in the park.

In an age of limitless individualism, nothing is out of bounds any more. Everybody feels that he or she has an equal right to self-expression, no matter how bizarre. Nothing wrong with that, I guess. But what's wrong with restraint? Does everyone have to go on Oprah?

Many (actually, most) of my gay friends think it's all become a bit nuts. They're not transgressive - they're bourgeois. They're weary of the Pride Parade's tired clichés - the campy drag queens, the naughty costumes, the celebration of sex, sex, sex. Yes, it mattered once. But now it just seems faintly vulgar. They're going to spend the weekend gardening.

I think a bunch of us from army.ca should don our army.ca t-shirts and show up at the parade in Ham. anyways.

Never top recruiting!

"Hey, maaaaaan, that's cool that your gay and okay with who you are! You know who ELSE is cool with you being gay? THE ARMY!"

Back