• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Merged Thread on Gay/ Homosexual Topics and the CF.

How's buddy going to serve 5 months when he's supposed to be going on tour?

I know people use the term "gay" meaning stupid or whatever, but fag?  Never heard that one.
It sounds like they were lying through their teeth to save their a**es, but that's just my opinion.

Ive heard it plenty, i know I'm guilty of using it with my friends and what not.
as in being a fag is an insult......don't get me wrong probably not the best thing to be saying, but we have become very desensitised to the word

I use the term gay quite often, usually to describe something stupid.  "Man that dukes of hazzard lunch box is gay"

I don't see a problem with it, and if I worried about offending everyone I probably wouldn't get three words out.  Besides isn't the parade called "Gay Pride Parade"

Or is it strictly the Pride Parade?

I might have to come up with a new word, describe gay stuff.    "Man that dukes of hazzard lunch box is slick"  Nope that doesn't work.....

Anyway I don't know the whole story but the guys got off so hopefully they can get back to their lives in peace and quiet.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
but the guys got off so hopefully they can get back to their lives in peace and quiet.

Well, they didn't exactly "get off" but it does seem like a pretty lenient sentence for what they did (stomping on the victim's face so that he suffered a skull fracture and broken nose).  I somehow doubt their lives were "peace and quiet" to begin with if they are capable of such an act.

Highlights mine - shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

Soldiers ready to march with Pride parade
Canadian Forces allowed, for first time, to participate openly

Sarah Barmak, Toronto Star, 27 Jun 08
Article link

Call it the opposite of "Don't ask, don't tell."

The Canadian Forces will be on the march Sunday, but on a different kind of mission. For the first time, men and women in uniform from across the country will represent the military in Toronto's Pride parade.

"This will send out a national message that the Canadian Forces is an employer of choice for all people," Lieut. Stephen Churm said yesterday. The naval officer will be among 17 military personnel walking and interacting with the crowd.

"We're not going to be in full uniform," he said. "We'll wear short sleeves because of the weather."

The soldiers will march alongside firefighters, police and people representing Toronto Crime Stoppers, the latter who are also marching at Pride for the first time.

A diversity officer with the Hamilton recruitment centre, Churm has been openly gay at work since 2001. In 2004, he led the charge to create a military presence in Hamilton's annual Pride festival, and began with four soldiers at an information booth. Last year, he and a small group of soldiers marched in the parade for the first time.

He wanted to correct a perception in the gay community that the Canadian military "had a policy of `Don't ask, don't tell.'"

Churm said Hamilton Pride officials consulted neither that community nor the military before making a "political decision" to ban the military from this year's parade.

Hamilton Pride organizers imposed the ban because of a complaint from a recent immigrant who feared the military because of persecution by soldiers in their own country. They also allege the Canadian Forces is responsible for worldwide human rights abuses.

Churm said that while the Canadian Forces respects Hamilton Pride officials' right to decide who is a part of the parade, "we would have liked to the opportunity to discuss it with organizers.

"The irony here is we had no intention of attending because we were concentrating on Toronto," which has a higher profile, he said.

It won't be Churm's first Toronto Pride. He attended in 1999, when he kept his sexual orientation a secret from the military. He says he might have come out sooner had he seen something as powerful as a military presence at Pride.

The Canadian Forces are "shifting gears" to a more welcoming attitude toward gay, lesbian and transgendered soldiers, Churm said, adding he has never felt discriminated against – although he has had to "educate people" at times.

"I hope it will encourage others to take the initiative and attend events elsewhere."

which worldwide human rights abuses are we responsible for??? Recent immigrant complaint because of fear from their own military??

Perhaps the organizers should remember what the PRIDE parade is about and who is defending their rights to have it.

CountDC said:
Perhaps the organizers should remember what the PRIDE parade is about and who is defending their rights to have it.

Or even just remember what the tolerance they call for REALLY means.....

Seems to be much ado about nothing. I find that the vast majority of organizations like PRIDE (or any other leftie groups) only tolerate those that have the same opinion of them. Apparently for them tolerance is a one-way street. ::)

2 Cdo said:
Seems to be much ado about nothing. I find that the vast majority of organizations like PRIDE (or any other leftie groups) only tolerate those that have the same opinion of them. Apparently for them tolerance is a one-way street. ::)

And rightie groups known for their inclusiveness?

Lol..the more liberarian groups tend to be pretty inclusive - everyone agrees on the one idea that government shouldn't interfere in personal lives!

From my time in student politics at UofT I find in general gay rights groups, with a few exceptions (like the one waging a legal "war" on the Catholic Church), tend to be pretty sensible compared to other interest groups. Other interest groups, especially those whose causes are on the decline, tend to be way more wing-nutty in order to try and grab attention and a sense of purpose.

The actions of the Hamilton group is bad, but hey, Toronto (and the CF's) gain.

daftandbarmy said:
I hear that the right marker will be FAB-U-LOUS!!!! ;)

We're not going to be going down the "Village People" road here, are we?  ;)

Comfort or discomfort with the concept, it DOES market the CF to a lot of people in the case of the TO parade, so as long as the troops look and act respectable in uniform (which I have no doubt they will), it could be a good thing.

If I were to attend a political event in my uniform, I don't think I'd be allowed, let alone to make a speach.  Now, is this the same thing?  I'm not sure.  Having pride in one's sexual preference is a bit of an odd thing for me to comprehend (much as pride in one's race, religion, or whatever, but hey, live and let live, I suppose), but if they want to show off that they are proud of being both homosexual and members of the CF, whatever.  Now, as for a "recent immigrant" worried about CF members, then I think that the "recent immigrant" should perhaps STFU if he/she doesn't like it in THIS country, and perhaps go home and have a pride parade there.

Sheerin said:
And rightie groups known for their inclusiveness?

Well when Yellowknife wanted to have a "straight day", it got canceled because some thought it promoted hate.  The one-way street.

It is nice to see that the military is included in the pride parade, shame on the Hamilton organizers though, all they had to do was tell the immigrant to get educated on his NEW country and shut the door when you leave. 

How long will it take the Government to finally recognize the fact that WASP Straight Men are a minority?

As a heterosexual, married with kids, white, English only man, I feel offended that the Hamilton Pride parade feels the CF (or at lest the gay persons in it) are not worthy of their little swarie.
Is there a Human Rights Commission I could complain to?

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Well when Yellowknife wanted to have a "straight day", it got canceled because some thought it promoted hate.  The one-way street.

This is the worst logic to address an issue.

Did they keep the Canadian Forces out of the Hamilton parade solely because of one man? Of course not...Occam's Razor and logical deduction would imply that it has more to do with right wing/left wing political differences than some random guy.

A similar situation came up when my girlfriend at the time attended a "Take Back the Night" ceremony where females marched around 'taking back the night' from sexual predators, etc.  I was not allowed to attend because I was a male.  I can understand why, but it made little sense to me.

George Wallace said:
How long will it take the Government to finally recognize the fact that WASP Straight Men are a minority?

Soon to be a statistical fact in the GTA.

George Wallace said:

Such a question has been asked before. But it is not PC to ask in most places, therefore there is no political will to recognize the new minority.

Back