• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Military Police [MP] Superthread

I'm in my final year of University, getting a BA degree. It counts a lot to have a university education, I am in process of joining reserves as officer cadet, which therefore after becoming 2nd lieutenant, don't let anyone tell you education is not looked upon, the CF and RCMP both take education seriously, they look at you in a more serious manner that you were wiling to finish school and your chances stand above those others considerably, just imagine you are one of thousands if you don't finish education applying for RCMP/CF, now on top of that there are thousands with education, do you see where you stand at the bottom without school, finish school then worry about your career

Who the hell EVER told anyone that Education is NOT important? Go back and actually READ the posts from experienced members. NONE of us said education is not important.

Just had a quick question to those who would know. Do MP's have a lot of work to do? What I mean by this is do they respond to many calls or have any actual police work to do while on duty? I don't mean any of this in a negative way but in my mind I wouldn't think there is a lot of activity going on which would need a police response. I would maybe like to transfer to an MP but I just have a strange feeling that it would be kind of boring and very routine workdays.

scouthern said:
I asked this in another thread, I was basically put down for asking if there was any code 3 calls. To summarize, MP's are different from MPO's. MP's see the majority of police work, patrolling in police cars around CF bases, basically they do what civvy police do just confined to a CFB. I was not told what kind of calls they receive whether they run code balanced with routine patrol, your best bet is, if you want non-stop action running code 3 for your entire shift, join a major city police detachment. Calgary, Edmonton, Vancover, Toronto, Montreal etc. From what I've been told, you're not gonna be blowing through any red lights or removing your firearm from your holster during the majority of your career (depending how long it is).
No, the issue in the other thread was your fixation on Code 3 calls, not simply asking if MP conduct them.  If you apply to a civilian police force, make sure you fixate on the number of exciting Code 3 calls you're going to get and the number of times you'll get to draw your weapon during a shift.  See how long that interview lasts...  Personal opinion: if these are the primary reasons you're looking to join a police service, you have some maturing to do before you think about applying anywhere.

For what it is worth, pers in my Det pick up 2-3 quality files per shift on average.  These are the files that actually require work to be done, not issues such as insecurities, traffic stops, street checks, misc complaints etc.

They're busy. Since you're not even in yet, your local RCMP or Muni detachment will suffice. The only thing is they're probably too busy to deal with you, so detain yourself... And then knock yourself up against some doors and walls to simulate your would be experience in the local cells.

Hey there, new to the boards.

Looking to join the MP reserves in Toronto area. Spoke to recruiting at CFRG Toronto. They gave the contact details, address etc. 32 Military Police platoon up on Yukon Drive.

Could anyone from that unit let me know what the unit is like? What sort of training are you doing? Is it a good bunch of guys and gals? Are you currently recruiting?

Thanks,

Marmite

garb811 said:
We have MP Guardhouses on all the bases.  Edmonton, Petawawa and Valcartier also have MP Field Platoons.

The short answer on the difference between the two jobs:  Guardhouse MPs act as the "Police" on the base, along with other functions such as providing Security services to all the units on the base; the Field Platoon's primary purpose is to operate in a field environment in support of the Army while deployed on Ops and on exercise.

Garb, I just wandered across this and had a question about it.  What about officer positions in the field platoons?  I have spoken with an MPO posted to a guardhouse....so just wondering now what the difference in jobs would be at the commissioned level, if any?  And I apologize in advance, i know it sounds pretty self-explanatory, but I really don't like to assume things when it comes to my future career.  THanks :)

With the stand up of the MP Units, the line is no longer as clear as it used to be as the MP Unit now has the ability to task all MP/MPO under its command to do any job at any time but, the short answer is, a MPO in a Field Pl is going to do one of two jobs, they are either the OC of the Pl or the Ops O. 

In the case of the OC they are ultimately responsible for the Pl and its tasks and this is one of the few MPO positions that I would call a "leadership" position vice a "management" position, no matter what they teach MPO at the Academy.

In the case of the Ops O they are responsible for the staff work associated with the operation and training of the MP Pl under the OC's guidance.

For both of these positions you need people who are "Army-centric" because the primary purpose of the Field Pl is to operate in the Field environment and there is not very much police work, if any, unless deployed on Ops.  What I mean by "Army-centric" is they need to have at least a basic understanding of how the Army works, throughout all of the different levels from Section to Brigade both tactically, operationally and administratively in order to be able to function and support the Commanders.  Unfortunately, this isn't something that is taught very well at the Academy so you end up with lots of OJT going on...

hi there, i am in the process of doing a collage course in policing and corrections that is an acceptable course for MP, but i am still not sure what i want to do, and i was wonder if i were to join the reserves as a MP would that give me a any realistic view as to the job of an MP?

-Thanks-

No it wouldn't...I'm at the CF Police Academy right now and there are some former reservist MPs on my course right now and they didn't learn a 1/3 of the things that we are learning on our course...Unless a reservist MP is deployed they are for the most part security guards...They do not have peace officer status like Reg MPs do...

If you want to be an MP than go Reg....If you want to be a security guard than go reserve....

Bravo! Way to snicker at your PRes brethren. Just so you know PRes MPs have also been apart of OMLT/POMLT in mentorship roles. Not to mention that some of these "security gurds" have got bootlaces that's got more TI then you do right now. So why don't we tone down the snickering remarks, and since you've got no actual experience in the field other then being at the Academy, let some of the established MP members hop in?

Not to mention to the OP that there are PAGES of things on this forum. Hit the search function for more info.

thanks for the reply, i have been filtering through the pages on the forum for the last while now and am getting a bunch of my questions answered that way, but what i am more looking for is peoples opinion on if i was going to apply for a reg MP would it be beneficial for me to do the reserves MP whil doing my prerequisite collage course?

Wow, ordinarily I'd post some reply and then it'd start some big thing....but really I'm getting tired of it. The prevailing attitude that we're lesser members of the branch because my course wasn't 6 months...grow up!
I know what Res MP do...I know what they're capable of.
OP if you want to join a Pl do it. It'll give you good insight as to some of the job MP do. You'll be exposed to more field type duties and soldier skills but this can only make you a better MP in the long run.
Any questions feel free to ask.
1/3 out

MedTech said:
Bravo! Way to snicker at your PRes brethren. Just so you know PRes MPs have also been apart of OMLT/POMLT in mentorship roles. Not to mention that some of these "security gurds" have got bootlaces that's got more TI then you do right now. So why don't we tone down the snickering remarks, and since you've got no actual experience in the field other then being at the Academy, let some of the established MP members hop in?

Not to mention to the OP that there are PAGES of things on this forum. Hit the search function for more info.

Do you ever stop trying to pick fights or play know it all on this website? (reference your past posts)

I'm actually a remuster myself and I do have time in the field, so before you start to play pokey chest ask questions and get some info...

Poppa said:
Wow, ordinarily I'd post some reply and then it'd start some big thing....but really I'm getting tired of it. The prevailing attitude that we're lesser members of the branch because my course wasn't 6 months...grow up!
I know what Res MP do...I know what they're capable of.
OP if you want to join a Pl do it. It'll give you good insight as to some of the job MP do. You'll be exposed to more field type duties and soldier skills but this can only make you a better MP in the long run.
Any questions feel free to ask.
1/3 out

I'm not saying reserve members are any less at all...I'm just going by what my former reservist coursemates have told me what they learned on their 3's in the reserves...The regular force does not recognize the MP QL3 PRes as equivalent to the Reg Force version and there is a reason for that...From what I have seen from the MP reservists on my course I am not surprised...

"I'm not saying reserve members are any less at all"
Actually, you did. 1/3 to be exact.
The Res MP QL3 is not the same as the Reg MP QL3 so why should it be recognized as being equal?

"From what I have seen from the MP reservists on my course I am not surprised..."
So you're going to be top candidate? Show some coursemanship...if some of your mates are struggling help them out. You're going to be working with these cats.

Not to mention that there are a good number of reserve MP's who are actually retired reg MP's and/or civilian police officers who bring a wealth of experiance to the reserve world. 

Hey, Its been a while since i have posted on here... Im about to graduate college now ( Police Foundations)... im serving in the Primary Reserve in an infantry regiment, i am seriously thinking about going MP( Regs). I've researched the trade online and am trying to further my knowledge of it to make an educated choice.  What the site fails to say is what the selection process encompasses; what are the tests like to get into an MP regiment? i know that there is an orientation day to assess candidate's competences, is there any way that i can prepare more so for these assessments? Im open to everyone's input thanks...

I might start by reading some of the posts in the forum dedicated to the Military Police.  As a relatively long time member to this site, I won't go on about how to use the SEARCH function, as I am sure you already know that.

Back