• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Military Police [MP] Superthread

Cleared Hot said:
What I don't get is if the RCMP don't require anything other than High School why do MPs?  Yes, I know that having more would even make you more competitive for the RCMP but they are going to train you from scratch anyway.

Different organizations, different hiring managers, different hiring criteria.

Obviously, but I guess what I meant was that if the RCMP can train someone from scratch I'm sure we can too.  We are already having to compete with other organizations (RCMP and Local PDs) for good people and even with spec pay we don't pay as well, so you would think we wouldn't make it even harder for ourselves by setting unnecessarily high standards.

Your statement about the RCMP makes me wonder if they might change that requirement someday now that recruits actually get paid during their training....

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Your statement about the RCMP makes me wonder if they might change that requirement someday now that recruits actually get paid during their training....

I doubt it, they are starving for recruits as is, and the majority of police services don't require a PF diploma, as a pre-req for hiring.

The simple answer as to why MP require the Diploma is that adding that requirement was one of the facilitators for getting Spec Pay through Treasury Board.  The fact that several Ontario services had gone to the Diplma requirement in the mid-late 90s was enough for Treasury Board to buy into the fact that there was a post-secondary education requirement for "professional" police. 

Even with the Diploma, we still teach everyone from scratch.  There is too much variance in the curriculum and standards of the various colleges, plus it is the same course for folks with diplomas as for OTs who do not have diplomas etc.

If you're going thinking of joining as a reg MP eventually, then joining as a res before you finish your schooling definitely wouldn't hurt.  I was never a reservist but some of my friends have been and it's basically the field aspect of it.  It doesn't hurt to gain some experience that way before joining the reg force.  On my 3s and the course that graduated ahead of mine the top candidates were ex-res MPs.  So there's your proof that it's good experience.

rocksteady said:
No it wouldn't...I'm at the CF Police Academy right now and there are some former reservist MPs on my course right now and they didn't learn a 1/3 of the things that we are learning on our course...Unless a reservist MP is deployed they are for the most part security guards...They do not have peace officer status like Reg MPs do...

If you want to be an MP than go Reg....If you want to be a security guard than go reserve....

Rock, watch how you word your posts.  There's a reason people flipped their lids over your comments.

I've been an Reg F MP for a while and being a reserve MP wouldn't hurt while in school. Its experience, plus the trade is looking at badging reserves now anyway. I'd rather my pep come in with experience as a Military member than of the street especially since you get your Cpl right off the mark. Your choice man but be prepared to do the mondane tasks as a reserve till you get in.

So rocksteady is actually right about reserve MP's being more like security guards then police. That being said, it doesn't mean you don't get valuable experience if you want to go reserve being transferring to reg force.

This nice thing about being a reservist first is that you will get more field experience which will help you in the long run if you ever end up deploying. Reg force MP's don't really do any field training, and I don't think they even do a C7 shoot every year. That's why they end up having a longer predeployment training then other trades.

It's also nice to make a bit of money while you're in school. You can do your BMQ on weekends in the reserves, its hard and requires serious time management skills but at least you'd have it done by the time you're ready to go reg force. Also i know some reserve MP's who have actually been able to work full time with the reg force MP's while still in school before going Reg. They didn't get to carry guns because they were reserve but it was still great experience being on shift .

I hope this helps!

OH, one more question, if you go reg force are you planning on going officer on NCM?

Future Prodigy said:
Is there any way to confirm this? The recruiter I spoke to did not know anything about it.

Well, one of my guys is headed to the MPAC boards in Borden 26-28 Feb.

Sans diploma, but an OT.

During the MPAC boards back in December when I was in Borden ... one of my girlfriends (MP on the boards) was speaking of the Diploma requirement disappearing 01 Apr 09; so there's something up.

I have been absolutely excited over the past year about joining the res MP cause i haven't got a degree or school around here that will be acceptable for pre rec for reg force MP plus i haven't decided what i am going to do.  I am looking for something to gain a sense of pride, i love drill i love dress and deportment along with shining boots and looking the part along with learning new things. I did my interview today and the captain that interviewed me said that the unit might not like my answers even thought they are good answers so they might not take me as a recruit which means that I would get in on my second choice. Hope there is tons of opportunity and challenges as that is what i am looking for and I have my fingers crossed to get into MPs.

I can't even figure out if you are asking a question or making a statement.
huh.gif

davidsonr_91 said:
I am looking for something to gain a sense of pride, i love drill i love dress and deportment along with shining boots and looking the part along with learning new things.

Well you can always go infantry  :camo: or join the Navy! ;D
Though most trades of the CF will give you an element of what you stated above.  Why are you interested in the MP reserve specifically?

My question was to maybe find out what the res mps do.  And I want to join the mps cause i want to be a cop one day and that's just another thing that would add to experience is all along with liking the military and stuff like that.

Spoke to Oshawa recruiting on Friday.  They said they received an email recently that stated the post secondary requirement will be gone April 1, 2009.

WHOA, slow down some. There is TALK about the College requirement disappearing but until you see it in a CANFORGEN don't plan on it being gone. Way too many factors / levels of approval to be completed before it's changed.

That being said the MP branch will review files of applicants who have a related university degree like criminology  / sociology and waive the Police Foundations requirement and send them on MPAC.

When looking at applicants, don't you think they'd be more favorable to one who has some extra schooling over the one who doesn't?

PMedMoe said:
When looking at applicants, don't you think they'd be more favorable to one who has some extra schooling over the one who doesn't?

..and I would hope that the answer to that is no. I wish my present occupation would stop taking kids with schooling and start taking adults with life experience. I can't see the MP [or any law enforcement]trade being much different, IMO.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
..and I would hope that the answer to that is no. I wish my present occupation would stop taking kids with schooling and start taking adults with life experience. I can't see the MP [or any law enforcement]trade being much different, IMO.

I guess I shroud have said "all things being equal", meaning if the applicants have the same experience, etc, I would think having the extra schooling would put one slightly ahead.  But I definitely get your point.

Back