• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Military Wedding Superthread- merged

Pusser said:
...It's also a common and accepted practice in the RN.  In fact, it's specifically permitted within their dress regulations...

Much like things have been debated about other things Buttons and Bows, WE ARE NOT IN THE UK/RN...WE ARE NOT A SUB-COMPONENT OF THE US ARMY (dumb badges on combats), so why the fuque do we keep trying to be like them.  I thought the idea of going back to the previous iteration of pre-unification was to be Canadian - not British, not American, not French or whatever background we've been purporting ourselves to be at a given moment.  Why don't we let everyone in 5 Brigade and 34 Brigade wear their berets over their right eyes instead, you know, since we're trying to embody non-Canadian traditions into OUR military.  Better yet, let's just try to worry about actual IMPORTANT THINGS - you know like making sure we can do our jobs properly and in a timely manner.  If we get to the point where this is what we're worrying about, this country is going to be pretty much euchered if ISIS hops the pond, or even if a small platoon of North Korean commandos comes aground on a "migrant" vessel on the west coast.

:2c:

MM

medicineman said:
...or even if a small platoon of North Korean commandos comes aground on a "migrant" vessel on the west coast.

I hope they properly conducted their environmental assessment in advance, otherwise there's gonna be an SI into that.  I mean, what if there's lead paint on the ship that scrapes against a rock?

Or what if they are wearing non-issue boots?

The potential problems are huge!  HUGE!!!

Pusser said:
The practice of giving "sweetheart broaches" began during the First World War when aircrew began having jewelled versions of their wings made into broaches for their sweethearts to wear.

That might have been where it started for aircrew.  ;)

QUESTION
Has anyone ever deferred their basic training to start at a later date due to an important circumstance? Ex: Your own wedding day, funeral? I'm getting married to a current military member on September 10th of this year. I have my medical in a week. Based on what I've seen so far, July & August BMQs seems to be filling up so I should be in the fall basic. Any tips?

militaryfamily14 said:
Has anyone ever deferred their basic training to start at a later date due to an important circumstance?

Asked and answered in Ask a CAF Recruiter,

Chances of getting a second offer?
OP: I am not able to comfortably commit 100% because of life circumstances at the moment. If I were to decline this offer, what would be my chances of getting a second offer down the road?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/122972.0

Scarlett said:
I was made an offer for the May 2nd BMQ. I wasn't able to attend that date due to life circumstances. I asked for a deferral for a later BMQ date and explained my situation. They decided that it was best to have the offer declined and re-merit list me, I was called 6 days later with an offer for the June BMQ which I am able to attend. I would suggest asking for a deferral to a date that you can attend first.

DAA said:
If you choose to decline an offer of employment, you must then inform your Recruiting Detachment of what you wish to have done with your current application.  You may either have your application CLOSED (and re-Open it at a later date) or ask to be re-merit listed and considered for an offer of employment at a later date.

militaryfamily14 said:
THANK YOU! This helps a lot :)

You are welcome. Good luck.  :)

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

Loachman said:
Seems like a reasonable excuse to me.

Guaranteed given the state of this organization, some genius would still mail out the second offer.

militaryfamily14 said:
I'm getting married to a current military member in September :)

Congratulations.

Are you planning a military wedding?

The Military Wedding Superthread- merged 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/1366.0
6 pages.

militaryfamily14 said:
Not my own funeral lol just an example!

I'm getting married to a current military member in September :)

Yes, I saw that, and wondered how bad a marriage could be and was thinking about how painless getting out of my previous two was in comparison.

Qapla.

I just got engaged and my fiance and I are looking for a venue. I was talking to a friend of mine and he said he's heard there are military venues that can be rented. For example one is in Kingston. He didn't use it himself so he didn't really know the details but he's known of some people that have. I'm not really interested in doing a military wedding but if there are special venues available I'm interested in that. Does anyone know anything about this or who I could contact?

I would think your friend is talking about renting out the mess at one of the units / base. In Kingston, you have the base, the PRes armoury and the Naval Reserve unit. There may be locations others may suggest.

I'd guess that any Officers' Mess would be available to a Mess Member.

Are you in Kingston, or was that just a random example?

Back