• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Next Conservative Leader

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Ms Ambrose is a good choice for interim leader.

She is experienced, telegenic and she will be hard for the Liberals to counter-attack, especially after making a big deal about women in politics.

The real fun will be when the actual leadership race begins...

The Globe and Mail reports the obvious: Dr Kellie Leitch, 45, is mulling an early entry into the CPC leadership race.

27f75a8.jpg

I described Dr Leitch, as I did Jason Kenney, as an "energizer bunny" because she was in so many ridings in the lead-up to and during the recent election campaign: doing favours for other Conservatives and collecting loyalty in return.

And an update on someone who is not in the race, at least for now... James Moore:

Former Minister of Industry James Moore to join Dentons

link: http://www.dentons.com/en/whats-different-about-dentons/connecting-you-to-talented-lawyers-around-the-globe/news/2015/november/former-minister-of-industry-james-moore-to-join-dentons

Dentons is pleased to announce that James Moore is joining our Firm as Senior Business Advisor. Based in our Vancouver office, James will be providing strategic advice to clients in British Columbia, across Canada and around the world.

(Dentons LLP is a "global" law firm, that recently swallowed merged with Fraser Milner Casgrain LLP in Vancouver.)

Denis Lebel named deputy leader of Conservative caucus, and former Speaker of the House, Andrew Scheer, named Leader in the House

link: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/denis-lebel-named-deputy-leader-of-conservative-caucus/article27319016/

Opposition Leader Rona Ambrose has chosen a veteran Quebec MP to serve as deputy leader of the Conservative caucus.

Denis Lebel had been among the candidates vying for the post of interim leader last month, but lost out to Ambrose for the top spot.

He’s largely considered responsible for the party’s better-than-expected showing in that province in the October election; there are now 12 Conservative MPs from Quebec.

Lebel says he’s excited to represent the values of Canadians in the House and being a strong opposition voice.

Ambrose also announced that former Speaker Andrew Scheer will serve as the party’s House leader.

Scheer, who represents a Saskatchewan riding, says he’s experienced life on the opposition benches and is used to some of the work that entails and will also bring his experience as Speaker to his new job.

jollyjacktar said:
    Quote from: Altair on Today at 00:29:01

Well, until the right gets their house in order in Canada
    FTFY

This, which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail[/], is germane:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/globe-politics-insider/outside-the-bubble-trudeaus-honeymoon-has-a-lot-of-life-left-in-it/article27518614/
gam-masthead.png

Outside the bubble, Trudeau’s honeymoon has a lot of life left in it

SUBSCRIBERS ONLY

Adam Radwanski
The Globe and Mail

Published Friday, Nov. 27, 2015

Roughly a month after Justin Trudeau’s Liberals won power, pundits were already tripping over each other to pronounce that harsh realities – the fallout from the Paris terrorist attacks, the state of our country’s finances – meant the political honeymoon was already over.

If it wasn’t over then, maybe it should be now that the new government has conceded it will break its campaign promise to bring 25,000 Syrian refugees to Canada by year’s end.

But by all appearances, outside the Ottawa bubble, the honeymoon is still going strong. And to look at what the Liberals are currently able to achieve through imagery and attitude alone is to get the sense it could very well last longer than most – to the extent that if there is any risk posed to Mr. Trudeau by early perceptions, it is a false sense of security.

Every opinion poll since the Oct. 19 election has shown the Liberals with more support than they got that day. Chalk that up to having a fairly easy time of striking an appealing contrast to Conservative predecessors who had overstayed their welcome.

Mr. Trudeau went abroad to a pair of international summits, in his second week on the job, and endured media criticism for underreacting to what had happened in Paris. But if anything penetrated, for those who disliked Stephen Harper’s presence on the international stage, it was probably the clips of the comparatively dashing and self-assured new PM being fawned over in the Philippines.

He held a first ministers’ meeting, and critics pointed out the confab didn’t really seem to achieve much of substance. But what (if anything) stood out to most people was the Prime Minister bothering to hold a conference with provincial premiers at all – something Mr. Harper hadn’t deigned to do since last decade.

It remains to be seen if Mr. Trudeau and other world leaders will settle on anything of consequence at this coming week’s United Nations climate-change conference in Paris. But he may be able to impress many Canadians just through lofty rhetoric and the embrace of ambitious goals, as he ostensibly commits the country to a cause in which Mr. Harper did little to hide his disinterest.

As for refugees, even some usually cynical commentators have responded to Mr. Trudeau abandoning his self-imposed deadline and scaling back his commitment to government (as opposed to private) sponsorship by praising him for being less stubborn than Mr. Harper.

To the extent the Liberals are facing criticism for their handling of that file, the imagery could again be more politically important. There will soon be daily footage of refugees gratefully arriving on our soil and Canadians pitching in to help them get settled. Maybe that would have happened under the Tories eventually, but many won’t believe that – and the Liberals, Mr. Trudeau in particular, are better at inserting themselves into such stories without coming off as crass.

It is possible to see the pattern continuing even through next spring’s budget. The Liberals may invite criticism by projecting a deficit bigger than the $10-billion one in their platform. They’ll also easily make good on campaign promises such as increasing taxes for the rich and lowering them for the “middle class,” which people who only follow these things casually are more likely to notice.

The gap in how the new government is perceived inside and outside the bubble, in other words, might only grow in the months ahead. Understandably, it’s the latter with which the Liberals will be more concerned. But that doesn’t mean they can afford to get too comfortable.

Theirs is a party for which arrogance has often proven pervasive and toxic. The current crowd of Liberals may have learned its lesson earlier this year, when some pre-election overconfidence contributed to a temporary dive in the polls. But there are occasional hints – the declarations that “Canada is back,” or Mr. Trudeau’s comment this week that he left people who doubted him “in the dust” – that it is still not entirely immune.

With the way the Liberals’ first term has been set up, including a promise to get back to balanced budgets by the end of it, the second half could be considerably tougher than the first: At least a couple of their many rookie ministers will inevitably cause them grief. High expectations may clash with the federal government’s limited capacity to directly impact lives. The Conservatives might be energized by a new leader. The more distance from Mr. Harper’s time in office, the less a stylistic contrast with him will matter.

The longer the Liberals’ honeymoon lasts, the more the accumulated goodwill might help them deal with whatever hits them later. They should be prepared, though, for when that perception gap starts to shrink.

I think Mr Radwanski is, broadly, correct: the Liberals are going to enjoy rather a long honeymoon with Canadians, but they have some inherent, inbuilt flaws ~

1. They remain a divided party. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is wildly popular, in the party, in the country, in the whole world, actually, but he has not, yet, offered any sort of visions that will, possibly, heal the deep wounds that his
        own father inflicted on the party in the late 1960s. There is still a HUGE gulf between the St Laurent/Pearson/Turner/Manley/Martin Liberals and the Trudeau/Axeworthy/Chrétien/Dion/Trudeau Liberals and, eventually, it must be bridged;

2. It is, still, the same old arrogant, corrupt political machine it always was.

What does this mean for Conservatives?

First: it is important for Conservatives to honour Prime Minister Stephen Harper ~ he led the country in, broadly and generally, the right direction, through difficult and dangerous circumstances. His "legacy" must not be discarded just because he was, personally, unpopular.

But, second: popularity matters. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is holding office today because, in the main, Canadians "like" him. They like him and that makes them inclined to trust him, to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Third: the media matters, too. One of the reasons Canadians "like" Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and dislike prime Minister Harper is that the media painted them in different 'shades:' bright and sunny and friendly for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and dark and mean and secretive for Prime Minister Harper. It doesn't matter if Stephen Harper is, actually, very nice but just introverted and shy, the media gets to describe him to 99% of us because we can no longer meet and talk to our leaders. The days of Lester Pearson and John Diefenbaker making "whistle stop" tours across the country are long gone ...

pic-1-4.jpg

... now we "meet" our leaders on TV and on the Internet, and what they say to us is filtered by the likes of Peter Mansbridge or some ferociously bright young social media wizard from Chicago.

Finally: the Liberals will, almost certainly, fall back into their old, familiar comfortable patterns. Conservatives must not emulate the; Conservatives must be scrupulously honest and humble ... think about John and Olive Diefenbaker keeping preserves under the bed and demanding to pay a fair rent for 24 Sussex Drive; and, Conservatives must eschew favouritism and even pork barrelling, despite it's loooooong tradition as staple of Canadian politics; and so on and so forth.

In my opinion the CPC made the smart move in selecting Rona Ambrose as interim leader. I suspect that the political calculus for the next real leader includes: will Prime Minister Justin Trudeau be a one or two term prime minister? (I continue to maintain that, absent a great crisis, we have seen the end of three and four term prime ministers ... six to ten years and out is the new rule) I understand that Erin O'Toole, for example, will not contest the leadership in this session - citing the ages of his children as a determining factor - but might be available after 2019, if the Liberals are still in office. Others may make similar calculations.

E.R. Campbell said:

But, second: popularity matters. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is holding office today because, in the main, Canadians "like" him. They like him and that makes them inclined to trust him, to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I would submit that it is less that Trudeau won a popularity vote and that people like him; but more that Harper LOST the "Popularity Vote" and as you said, people did not look at the good that his Party was doing, but voted on Harper's personality.  Trudeau's win was, in my opinion, not "his win", but more Harper's loss.

Considering Harper was right up there with Trudeau on preferred PM polling right until the end, I also disagree that Canadians as a majority like him.

Jennifer Ditchburn, filing for the Canadian Press, is quoted in the Hiffington Post as saying that "A consensus has begun to emerge inside the caucus that the party should take time to regroup and put off a leadership vote until early 2017. Recent signals that Ontario MP Kellie Leitch was on the verge of announcing her candidacy went over poorly among weary colleagues and party members, insiders say ... "People are just tired and nobody wants it to start now,'' said one longtime Conservative activist who has ties to a potential contestant but was not authorized to speak publicly."

My personal opinion is that the CPC caucus chose well in selecting Ms Ambrose to be the interim leader, and a year or 18 months, until say late spring 2017, is quite acceptable; it allows time to set rule and for potential leadership candidates to "test the waters" and build (more) support.

On thing I would like to see (hope to see) is greater influence for the caucus and less for the riding association, the "grass roots." I know that what I'm advocating is less "democratic," but in my opinion, in matters like this ~ managing a political party ~ parties are too easily highjacked by "activists" and too much "grass roots democracy" leads us to where the Americans are today ... not, in my view, someplace any Canadian political party wants to go. I don't, necessarily, want to see us go completely the way of the Aussies and Brits, but I would like to see the 100ish sitting MPs have more votes than 330+ riding associations because I think the sitting MPs are better judges of what it takes to win the next election than are the local party "activists."

I concur Edward.  The line between "grassroots" and "demagoguery" or "mob rule" is thin, in my view.  Look at the impact the Tea Party has had in the states in derailing the effectiveness of Congress.

One of my favorite political pieces by Edmund Burke, found here, is worthing posting at full length.

I am sorry I cannot conclude without saying a word on a topic touched upon by my worthy colleague. I wish that topic had been passed by at a time when I have so little leisure to discuss it. But since he has thought proper to throw it out, I owe you a clear explanation of my poor sentiments on that subject.

He tells you that "the topic of instructions has occasioned much altercation and uneasiness in this city;" and he expresses himself (if I understand him rightly) in favour of the coercive authority of such instructions.

Certainly, gentlemen, it ought to be the happiness and glory of a representative to live in the strictest union, the closest correspondence, and the most unreserved communication with his constituents. Their wishes ought to have great weight with him; their opinion, high respect; their business, unremitted attention. It is his duty to sacrifice his repose, his pleasures, his satisfactions, to theirs; and above all, ever, and in all cases, to prefer their interest to his own. But his unbiassed opinion, his mature judgment, his enlightened conscience, he ought not to sacrifice to you, to any man, or to any set of men living. These he does not derive from your pleasure; no, nor from the law and the constitution. They are a trust from Providence, for the abuse of which he is deeply answerable. Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.

My worthy colleague says, his will ought to be subservient to yours. If that be all, the thing is innocent. If government were a matter of will upon any side, yours, without question, ought to be superior. But government and legislation are matters of reason and judgment, and not of inclination; and what sort of reason is that, in which the determination precedes the discussion; in which one set of men deliberate, and another decide; and where those who form the conclusion are perhaps three hundred miles distant from those who hear the arguments?

To deliver an opinion, is the right of all men; that of constituents is a weighty and respectable opinion, which a representative ought always to rejoice to hear; and which he ought always most seriously to consider. But authoritative instructions; mandates issued, which the member is bound blindly and implicitly to obey, to vote, and to argue for, though contrary to the clearest conviction of his judgment and conscience,--these are things utterly unknown to the laws of this land, and which arise from a fundamental mistake of the whole order and tenor of our constitution.

Parliament is not a congress of ambassadors from different and hostile interests; which interests each must maintain, as an agent and advocate, against other agents and advocates; but parliament is a deliberative assembly of one nation, with one interest, that of the whole; where, not local purposes, not local prejudices, ought to guide, but the general good, resulting from the general reason of the whole. You choose a member indeed; but when you have chosen him, he is not member of Bristol, but he is a member of parliament. If the local constituent should have an interest, or should form an hasty opinion, evidently opposite to the real good of the rest of the community, the member for that place ought to be as far, as any other, from any endeavour to give it effect. I beg pardon for saying so much on this subject. I have been unwillingly drawn into it; but I shall ever use a respectful frankness of communication with you. Your faithful friend, your devoted servant, I shall be to the end of my life: a flatterer you do not wish for.

E.R. Campbell said:
Jennifer Ditchburn, filing for the Canadian Press, is quoted in the Hiffington Post as saying that "A consensus has begun to emerge inside the caucus that the party should take time to regroup and put off a leadership vote until early 2017. Recent signals that Ontario MP Kellie Leitch was on the verge of announcing her candidacy went over poorly among weary colleagues and party members, insiders say ... "People are just tired and nobody wants it to start now,'' said one longtime Conservative activist who has ties to a potential contestant but was not authorized to speak publicly."

My personal opinion is that the CPC caucus chose well in selecting Ms Ambrose to be the interim leader, and a year or 18 months, until say late spring 2017, is quite acceptable; it allows time to set rule and for potential leadership candidates to "test the waters" and build (more) support.

On thing I would like to see (hope to see) is greater influence for the caucus and less for the riding association, the "grass roots." I know that what I'm advocating is less "democratic," but in my opinion, in matters like this ~ managing a political party ~ parties are too easily highjacked by "activists" and too much "grass roots democracy" leads us to where the Americans are today ... not, in my view, someplace any Canadian political party wants to go. I don't, necessarily, want to see us go completely the way of the Aussies and Brits, but I would like to see the 100ish sitting MPs have more votes than 330+ riding associations because I think the sitting MPs are better judges of what it takes to win the next election than are the local party "activists."

ERC -

If you want to see what the world looks like when the Parliamentary Party (Caucus) and the Membership (Grassroots) get out of step take a look at Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour Party.

He has entirely lost the Caucus, and much of the membership, but is held in place by Bob-a-Job members and the Union blocks.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12021977/Labour-MPs-have-only-one-option-a-mutiny.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12023823/Jeremy-Corbyn-on-verge-of-whipping-MPs-to-block-Syrian-air-strikes.html

The Labour Party adopted the democratic solution of offering its leadership votes for sale. 

I am with you on the need for reasonable deliberation.

You can also look at Allison Redford's ascention to Alberta PC leadership as being fuelled by activists (she ran Alberta as a Liberal, even though she was officially a "PC"), or the Ontario Liberal Party under McGuinty and Wynn.

One should not think of the TEA PArty activists in the US, or Reform and Wildrose in Canada as being "obstructinist"; rather as a response against the current political establishment which seems to be working hard to insulate itself from the effects of their own policies. Unless the political establishment starts getting back into line with the population, I predict more of this happening.

Fortunately we don't have the primary system that the US has which allows the extreme ends of the spectrum to influence the choice of party leader. As we've seen in the last and current presidential primaries the GOP candidates duke it out to see who can run farthest to the right, only to pivot back and lose credibility when they get to the general election and try moving back towards the center. You see the same to a certain degree on the Dems side this year as well.

Also, we don't have the gerrymandered electoral map that the US has which essentially guarantees stagnation in the split in Congress, and the close results of the presidential race.

Our problem in Canada seems to be finding a consensus candidate for leadership that truly represents the views of all regions of the country. The western provinces, especially Alberta are far more small "c" conservative than the eastern part of the country, which as we know lead to the rise of the Reform Party and the eventual takeover of the former Progressive Conservative Party. With the exception of a few popular eastern conservative MPs like Peter MacKay, they ultimately brought about the ascendency of the conservative right.

The question is can the CPC eventually find the consensus leader that will be acceptable to all regions of the country?

Don't need to.

Just need the majority of seats in the House.

See you in four years time.  :)

E.R. Campbell said:

Further to this, Adam Radwanski, writing in the Globe and Mail, agrees with Ms Ditchburn and says:

"Rona Ambrose should probably settle into Stornoway a bit.

As the federal Conservatives’ national council prepares to meet next weekend for the first time since this fall’s election, the party seems in no hurry to select Stephen Harper’s long-term replacement as leader.

While it’s unlikely the date for the leadership vote will be announced until the new year, the Tories appear to be headed to holding it only in 2017, or fall of 2016 at the very earliest.

Despite an early push from some Conservatives to hold the vote next spring, there now appears to be a near-consensus among caucus members and others that it’s best to go slow. “There’s nobody saying ‘let’s do this
    thing in May,’ ” said one Conservative official involved in the process.

That change of heart among some Conservatives owes, in some measure, to a desire to complete postmortems on their defeat, and for a period of open debate about their future after the rigid discipline of the Harper era."

Not surprisngly...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier-cpc-leadership-poll-1.3353882

It seems that Peter McKay leads in polling about the next CPC leader.  Way too early yes but interesting.

The title is a bit misleading, it should say Maxime Bernier is strongly considering preparing a bid for leadership....

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/12/18/maxime-bernier-conservative-leadership-race_n_8840846.html?ncid=fcbklnkcahpmg00000008

A self-described libertarian, he said he'll focus his platform on a more decentralized federalism, a smaller government less involved in Canadians' day-to-day lives, as well as more personal freedoms.

He might champion a flat tax — he wrote a book on the subject, he noted. He'll certainly call for balanced-budgets legislation — just like the one the Liberals plan to repeal. Since the election, he has already called for an end to corporate subsidies — fully aware of the paradox, since he dished them out as industry minister.

He'd have my vote!

E.R. Campbell said:
Further to this, Adam Radwanski, writing in the Globe and Mail, agrees with Ms Ditchburn and says:

"Rona Ambrose should probably settle into Stornoway a bit.

As the federal Conservatives’ national council prepares to meet next weekend for the first time since this fall’s election, the party seems in no hurry to select Stephen Harper’s long-term replacement as leader.

While it’s unlikely the date for the leadership vote will be announced until the new year, the Tories appear to be headed to holding it only in 2017, or fall of 2016 at the very earliest.

Despite an early push from some Conservatives to hold the vote next spring, there now appears to be a near-consensus among caucus members and others that it’s best to go slow. “There’s nobody saying ‘let’s do this
    thing in May,’ ” said one Conservative official involved in the process.

That change of heart among some Conservatives owes, in some measure, to a desire to complete postmortems on their defeat, and for a period of open debate about their future after the rigid discipline of the Harper era."

Good idea.

The Liberals, after their defeat to Harper's conservatives, went through a few too many losers in an effort to push a leader into position too soon.

That is, unless you favour an academic who likes to proclaim that his is the 'Natural ruling party for Canada'.  ::)

daftandbarmy said:
Good idea.

The Liberals, after their defeat to Harper's conservatives, went through a few too many losers in an effort to push a leader into position too soon.

That is, unless you favour an academic who likes to proclaim that his is the 'Natural ruling party for Canada'.  ::)
Liberals didn't have much of a choice.

Conservatives were in a minority goverment l, next election could have been at any time. Who would feel confident going into an election without a permanent leader?

That said, the CPC have time, might as well use it.

Hints of another businessman considering politics, only here in Canada ...
The Conservative leadership race has yet to start, but potential candidates are gearing up, including celebrity businessman and ex-Dragon Kevin O'Leary and some high-profile former cabinet ministers.

The actual convention isn't expected for another 18 months.

But the extra time is allowing outsiders to consider putting their name forward, including the outspoken Toronto business mogul O'Leary.

"I thought at some point, someone is going to say to me, if you can be such a critic, why don't you do better? Why don't you try it?" O'Leary told CBC News. "I thought to myself, hmmm, maybe I should."

The former panellist on CBC's Dragon's Den describes himself as politically agnostic, but noted, "I'm never going to run for the NDP. They don't even like me."

Not surprisingly, O'Leary said his main motivation for considering a leadership run is the economy.

"Every word that comes out of a politician's mouth, including mine, should I elect to go for this, is how does it create the next incremental job," he said. "That's what I care about."

O'Leary raised eyebrows this week with his offer to invest a million dollars in Alberta's oilpatch if NDP Premier Rachel Notley stepped aside ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back