• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Next Conservative Leader

Status
Not open for further replies.
jmt18325 said:
That says more about the company you keep than anything.  If I was running a poll of my town, and only my town, I'd think you were right.  You'd be wrong, as would most of the people in my town.  Trudeau is popular with a pretty large number of Canadians (enough that he has more support than he did on election day) as is his governing style.  It's that simple.

Didn't like him before the last election, even less so now.  So, not true he has more support now than then.  Even though I am one person, in my esteem he is doing  a fantastic imitation of a Stuka.  So, his "wow" factor isn't rising with me, and I know I'm not alone.  You should see the billboards just off Sparks St and Elgin, within sight of the Hill.  It's from folks who are disappointed he's not kept his promises of electoral reform.  Smells like dissatisfaction to me..... and I bet they voted team Red last election (mores the fool, them).  His pretty face and hair may have some fooled, but some folks are now looking behind the curtain at the wonderful wizard of Oz.

This thread is about Andrew Scheer.
Yes, I also dragged it off topic.

However;............

Justine intrudes enough into our lives already. Let's have just one thread where we can enjoy without hearing about our national despot.

Trudeau's popularity was relevant to the discussion of Scheer's chances of becoming Prime Minister in 2019.  It could happen, but given history, it's an unlikely occurrence.

recceguy said:
Yes, I also dragged it off topic.

However;............

Justine intrudes enough into our lives already. Let's have just one thread where we can enjoy without hearing about our national despot.

Then maybe don't petulantly refer to him as "Justine" and call him a despot? The election of a new leader for the opposition is clearly significant in relation to their electoral chances against the incumbent prime minister. So no, comparing him to the PM is perfectly in play. Arguably, a new leader's chances of beating Trudeau is the *most* significant thing about him. Expecting conversation to exclude reference to the PM is unreasonable and unrealistic.

What Brihard said.

recceguy said:
He has less support now, than on election day when over 60% of Canadians didn't vote for him. Contrary to that which you want to believe, his popularity is dropping like a lead weight in a vacuum.

How many Canadians didn't vote for Harper? Really. This forum used to cry out when someone was seen here, or over on rabble, making the exact same statement. Funny how it's come full circle (I know we have had this debate before, but I am making the point about the circle now)

You have far better arguments than this.

recceguy said:

It is.  I didn't see anyone here attacking him.  His ability to beat Trudeau, keep the party united and away from old losing battles are all relevant.

jmt18325 said:
... Scheer's chances of becoming Prime Minister in 2019.  It could happen, but given history, it's an unlikely occurrence.

Just like that nice President Trump's thrilling victory.

Remius said:
It is.  I didn't see anyone here attacking him.  His ability to beat Trudeau, keep the party united and away from old losing battles are all relevant.

Totally agree....  :salute:

Loachman said:
Just like that nice President Trump's thrilling victory.

Sure - things can happen.  To put it in perspective though, a Canadian government with a majority hasn't failed to secure a second mandate since 1935.

Yup, ok. I was out of line asking to keep junior out of things. I didn't think that through properly. My apologies to all who rightfully and properly pointed out my error. Those were good points. (learning moment for me  :salute:)

If you just wanted to take a shot and unload, oh well. Hope you feel better for it.

Tim Moen of the libertarian party of canada is willing to step aside as leader to let Maxime Bernier run as leader.

I would vote for that.

I don't know much about Scheer and not a lot of buzz out here about him, the good news is that he can work with a more or less clean slate and acknowledging where Harper disconnected with the people and refusing to follow that path will make look more interesting. JT is bungling stuff and lot's of people are uneasy about his leadership ability, so Scheer needs to show solutions to problems that both Canadians and the CPC can accept and avoid giving the Liberals ammunition to work with.

jmt18325 said:
Sure - things can happen.  To put it in perspective though, a Canadian government with a majority hasn't failed to secure a second mandate since 1935.

So to keep it in perspective... statistically, we're due for a different outcome then.

For anyone wondering how Scheer did so well in Quebec over Bernier.

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-comment/terence-corcoran-bernier-didnt-lose-the-leadership-it-was-stolen-by-dairy-lobby-fake-conservatives

Close to half of the Conservative party members who voted Saturday supported Bernier and his relatively moderate libertarian agenda of less government and lower taxes. The official count, based on the ballot-point system, was Andrew Scheer 17,221 points (50.95 per cent) versus Maxime Bernier 16,578 (49.05 per cent).

That’s close. But if accounts from the frontline are accurate, Bernier would have won the leadership were it not for vote-rigging infiltrators from the farmers’ unions and associated backers of supply management.

One source says that as many as 3,000 points went to Scheer, mostly in Quebec and Ontario, as a result of an organized campaign in which farmers temporarily joined the Conservative party and then cast votes against Bernier.

Bernier didn’t lose the leadership vote; it was stolen from him by a concerted campaign organized by members of Union des producteurs agricoles (UPA) and farmers in Ontario. Via Facebook, Quebec farmers and others were urged to join the Conservative party and vote for Andrew Scheer.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Couldn't have been that well organized a campaign if it took until the 13th ballot to have its effect.
Dairy farmers who organized via facebook, no probably not very well organized.

Still effective enough though.

Altair said:
For anyone wondering how Scheer did so well in Quebec over Bernier.

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-comment/terence-corcoran-bernier-didnt-lose-the-leadership-it-was-stolen-by-dairy-lobby-fake-conservatives

There's no requirement that says you have to be a member of the CPC for "x" number of days/months/years, or have invested "y" amount of effort/interest/thought in the party, before your are eligible to cast a vote.

Regardless of whatever the article may be insinuating, registered members of CPC voted democratically for their new leader.  Period.

If the most motivated group of people were farmers, then maybe they should have had greater say.

I myself, not currently a member of any party, was tempted to join the CPC so that I could vote, but I did not, because I have no issues I'm passionate about to give me the motivation to do so. Had I had such passions, as it appears these farmers did, I would have. If I was really passionate about those issues, may I too would have rallied like minded individuals to sign-up and vote.

As far as I'm concerned, the tone of this article is back-a$$wards; these farmers actually demonstrated real democracy.

Lumber said:
There's no requirement that says you have to be a member of the CPC for "x" number of days/months/years, or have invested "y" amount of effort/interest/thought in the party, before your are eligible to cast a vote.

Regardless of whatever the article may be insinuating, registered members of CPC voted democratically for their new leader.  Period.

If the most motivated group of people were farmers, then maybe they should have had greater say.

I myself, not currently a member of any party, was tempted to join the CPC so that I could vote, but I did not, because I have no issues I'm passionate about to give me the motivation to do so. Had I had such passions, as it appears these farmers did, I would have. If I was really passionate about those issues, may I too would have rallied like minded individuals to sign-up and vote.

As far as I'm concerned, the tone of this article is back-a$$wards; these farmers actually demonstrated real democracy.
democracy in the sense of guys who don't care about the CPC, won't vote for the CPC in a election, and will vanish from the CPC now that the leadership contest is done effected the vote and was the deciding factor of who was the leader of the CPC.

Well within the rules, but the group one wouldn't want deciding leadership contests.

Altair said:
democracy in the sense of guys who don't care about the CPC, won't vote for the CPC in a election, and will vanish from the CPC now that the leadership contest is done effected the vote and was the deciding factor of who was the leader of the CPC.
Or even though this guy may not have been top-of-ballot for everyone, enough people had him somewhere on the ballot to make the cut all the way thru.

Curious - what are you basing the bits in yellow on?  Those who buy the "social conservatives as kingmakers" argument would say the opposite of that.

milnews.ca said:
Or even though this guy may not have been top-of-ballot for everyone, enough people had him somewhere on the ballot to make the cut all the way thru.

Curious - what are you basing the bits in yellow on?  Those who buy the "social conservatives as kingmakers" argument would say the opposite of that.
Close to half of the Conservative party members who voted Saturday supported Bernier and his relatively moderate libertarian agenda of less government and lower taxes. The official count, based on the ballot-point system, was Andrew Scheer 17,221 points (50.95 per cent) versus Maxime Bernier 16,578 (49.05 per cent).

That’s close. But if accounts from the frontline are accurate, Bernier would have won the leadership were it not for vote-rigging infiltrators from the farmers’ unions and associated backers of supply management.

One source says that as many as 3,000 points went to Scheer, mostly in Quebec and Ontario, as a result of an organized campaign in which farmers temporarily joined the Conservative party and then cast votes against Bernier.

Bernier didn’t lose the leadership vote; it was stolen from him by a concerted campaign organized by members of Union des producteurs agricoles (UPA) and farmers in Ontario. Via Facebook, Quebec farmers and others were urged to join the Conservative party and vote for Andrew Scheer.

Three Quebec ridings tell the story. One is Beauce, Bernier’s home riding. Right off the bat, in the opening round of the ranked ballot, Scheer collected 46.63 per cent of the points against 47.5 per cent for Bernier. By the end of the final round, Scheer was at 51 per cent versus 48 for Bernier — in a riding where Bernier is a local hero among Conservatives and hardly anyone would even know Scheer’s name.

Or take Saint-Hyacinthe–Bagot, a riding just south of Montreal. Scheer led from the first ballot with 61.4 per cent. Scheer ended the final ballot at almost 76 per cent. Is it a coincidence that Saint-Hyacinthe, Que. is home to a branch of the Institut de technologie agroalimentaire, a provincial agri-food training centre where professors and students would be heavily behind supply management? Also in the riding is an Agriculture Canada research centre, where supply management is embedded policy

In another farm riding — Lévis-Lotbinière — Scheer took 47 per cent on the first ballot against 32 per cent for Bernier. Scheer moved up to 54 per cent in the final ballot.

Again, in places where nobody knew his name, Andrew Scheer won the ballot contests.

Few of these ballot forms would have been filled out by loyal or longstanding Conservatives — or Conservatives of any kind. It is unlikely any have ever voted Conservative in the past. In these three crucial ridings, and others in Quebec, native son Maxime Bernier was defeated by fake Tories, drive-in drive-out party crashers whose sole motive was to defeat Bernier and uphold their supply-management racket.

The farm campaign was reportedly organized by a farmer via Facebook. He attracted thousands of followers and explicitly advised people to join the party and vote for Andrew Scheer.

The president of the UPA — the Quebec farmers union — claimed victory in an interview with Le Soleil. “There aren’t very many of us, agricultural producers, so the fact that we succeeded in mobilizing ourselves to affect the results in Quebec means that the number of Conservative Party members in Quebec is relatively small.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back