• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "Nursing Officer" Merged Thread

• Thread starter IamBloggins
  • Start date
Curious at to  :cdn: :cdn:what pay level a nursing officer starts at? A,B,C ect.....
Is it considered a spec trade?
Currently going through the UTPNCM program and just curious on what my pay will be like.

Thanks

:cdn:

The pay scales are available here:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-pay/reg-force-class-c-officer-rates.page

At the bottom of the page is an explanation of the pay levels:
A - ROTP (former CBI 204.2111 & 204.2151)
B - OCTP-NFS (former CBI 204.2113 & 204.2153)
C - DEO (former CBI 204.2114 & 204.2154)
D - UTP-NCM / OCTP-FS (former CBI 204.2112, 204.21135, 204.2152 & 204.21535)
E - CFR (former CBI 204.212)

Officers don't have spec pay. There are different pay tables for some trades (Pilots, MOs for instance) but Nurses do not fall into this category. Once you graduate and receive your commission you will promote to Lt and your pay will be as seen on the table linked to above.

Hi all,

I'm currently working as a civilian RN, and in the process of joining the reserves/my local field ambulance regiment as a nursing officer.  Was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the process of joining as a reserve NO?  I'm mainly trying to get an idea what the training/courses will be like, how long they will be etc.  I've gotten some mixed messages from different recruiters, so I'm wondering how different this process might be for me vs. a DEO nursing officer?  Any insight or info would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Hello,

I have a question regarding the recruiting process. I am currently a Registered Nurse and have been thinking about joining the Canadian Forces part time with my local reserve here in Thunder Bay. However, I dont see any postings at our local reserves that they are hiring and NO's.

My question is, can you apply and complete Nursing officer training, but since there is no availability for NO, can I apply for a different job with my local reserve but still have the opportunity to sign up for or volunteer for any Nursing Officer jobs or overseas missions (as a NO).

So, I would like to be a Nursing Officer, but not have a NO job, but still apply for NO opportunities.

Sorry if that sounds confusing.
I have contacted my local reserve but no response yet, so I thought I'd try and get some info.

Thanks  :)

Hello,

I have a question for any Nursing Officers or anyone out there, I am currently a Registered Nurse and have been thinking about joining the Canadian Forces part time with my local reserve here in Thunder Bay. However, I dont see any postings at our local reserves that they are hiring and NO's.

My question is, can you apply and complete Nursing officer training, but since there is no availability for NO, can I apply for a different job with my local reserve but still have the opportunity to sign up for or volunteer for any Nursing Officer jobs or overseas missions (as a NO).

So, I would like to be a Nursing Officer, but not have a NO job, but still apply for NO opportunities.

Sorry if that sounds confusing.
I have contacted my local reserve but no response yet, so I thought I'd try and get some info.

Thanks  :)

Search for contact information for 18 Field Ambulance; it's a medical reserve unit in Thunder Bay.  They should be able to assist you and can likely find a way to accommodate you as a NO in the CAF.

Hi,

I am a Nurse but Technically a HCA in the reserves. I have recently transferred from Infantry and at the time I initiated my transfer my unit did not have any NO positions. The training for each trade is similiar up to the BNOC (both do exactly the same BMQ, HSOSOC).

Be careful leaving messages at the unit you wish to belong. Many phone lines and email addresses are "ghosts" and no one will get back to you. It is best to physically go there and figure out who is best to talk to. It is possible they have a position and/or get you in and borrow a position from some other unit. Hope that helps, and good luck

RNArmy said:
The short answer to your question is “no, you cannot”. The professional scope of practice that you are allowed within the CF is dependent on your training AND military trade. For example, if you are an RN but have joined the Reserve Force as a Medical Assistant, then your scope of practice will be that of a Med A. You will not be allowed to deploy as a Nursing Officer unless you are enrolled as a NO.

In Murse’s case where s/he is a civilian nurse but enrolled as an HCA, the military scope of practice for his/her clinical duties within the CF does not exist, since HCA is a non-clinical MOSID.

If you want to deploy as an NO, you need to be enrolled as NO. Hope this helps clarify.

I thought I read somewhere that they recently lifted the recruiting caps for the Reserve.

I would recommend that instead of phoning the unit, visit them in person. The recruiters are usually just a single NCO who's very busy and sometimes isn't there to answer the phone.

Hey all!
I'm newly graduated with my Bachelor's of Nursing (Critical Care) and joining the CAF is somewhat a dear dream. I've reached the point where making a final decision to enroll or not is upon me, and as i'd be applying to be a Nursing Officer, i have various questions. Most are basic and probably no-brainers, but i ask nonetheless :)

1) What is the assignment like? Essentially, i'm aware we get stationed where we are needed, but what are the various task differences versus a civilian hospital?
2) What are the odds of getting the assignment you ask for? Realistically of course, i'm a Montrealer and love it here, i'm curious to know the facts.
3) What is the general attire and hygiene care for a Nursing Officer? We don't usually partake in combat ops, so i doubt our protocols for things like hair, beard, dress and such are the same. No?
4) Big one: How different is MY basic versus the usual basic? I know they are different somehow, as i wouldn't be as combat-trained as, say, infantry. But still, like every newbie, i'm curious.

I do believe these are my biggest questions. I have asked these to recruiters and some people i know in the Navy, but i admit i would love to know various opinions or stories about these. Thanks in advance!!

Welcome to Army.ca, BadWolf87

I have merged your post with the existing thread.

Most, if not all, of your questions have already been asked and answered in this and other threads. Please take some time and explore this Site, and take the Search Function for a spin. There is a ton of information here ripe for the plucking. You'll also likely find answers to questions before they even occur to you.

BadWolf87 said:
Hey all!
I'm newly graduated with my Bachelor's of Nursing (Critical Care) and joining the CAF is somewhat a dear dream. I've reached the point where making a final decision to enroll or not is upon me, and as i'd be applying to be a Nursing Officer, i have various questions. Most are basic and probably no-brainers, but i ask nonetheless :)

1) What is the assignment like? Essentially, i'm aware we get stationed where we are needed, but what are the various task differences versus a civilian hospital?
2) What are the odds of getting the assignment you ask for? Realistically of course, i'm a Montrealer and love it here, i'm curious to know the facts.
3) What is the general attire and hygiene care for a Nursing Officer? We don't usually partake in combat ops, so i doubt our protocols for things like hair, beard, dress and such are the same. No?
4) Big one: How different is MY basic versus the usual basic? I know they are different somehow, as i wouldn't be as combat-trained as, say, infantry. But still, like every newbie, i'm curious.

I do believe these are my biggest questions. I have asked these to recruiters and some people i know in the Navy, but i admit i would love to know various opinions or stories about these. Thanks in advance!!

I can only speak to 3 and 4:
3. everyone has the same standard. The nursing officers in my clinic wear combats in their day to day jobs in the clinic. Hair, beards, jewelry, everything is to the same standard as an infanteer or clerk or whatever.
4. BMOQ will be the same as the infantry officer or Log O or any other officer trade. You will have a special Health Services component after you finish BMOQ. You will still get trained on the gas hut, C7, leading troops, drill, etc. While you won't be AS combat trained as an infantry officer, everyone is a soldier (sailor/airmen/etc) first, trade second.

Hello,

If you'd like further information on the roles of Nursing Officer in the CAF you can email the Health Services Recruiting Email (this is for Regular Force applicants only):
HealthSvcsRecruiting-RecrutementSvcsdesante@forces.gc.ca

Sometimes it can take a day or two (business days) to get a response but they have a hand out to email you that goes into detail.

Hello all,

I'm currently finishing up the third year of my BScN in ROTP (at Trent U. in Peterborough, ON), and I was curious if anyone has a more current list of CPT locations?  The last post about it was in 2015 (Vancouver, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Ottawa, Montreal, Barrie, Fredericton), however I know a few people were doing CPT in Kingston last year... Just trying to get an idea of where I may be off to next year!

Thanks!

You might not be off to anywhere. As long as the CF has some kind of agreement with the local hospitals CPT can be done outside of the 7 regions you mentioned. I did CPT in Gatineau outside of ottawa across the q.c. border. I know others who did CPT in Kingston, others in Halifax. As long as you’re within range of a base you can work from if there are gaps between your clinical rotations and your hospital is an approved one by the CAF, CPT locations can vary

Thanks for the quick reply! As much as it would be nice to stay here, Trenton is 1.5hrs away so commuting isn’t quite reasonable.  I guess I will just sit tight and talk to the career manager next year.

Hello all,

I'm glad I found this thread, I've read most of what's posted here and they are quite insightful. Thank you to those who keep this thread active.

I am looking in signing up for NO-full-time.

Here's my background:
I graduated BScN 2008, had experience with emerge(E)/critcal care(CC) for about 2 years before going into mental health(MH) for the rest of my practice up to recent because that's what I wanted at the time. Going on 2 years now I've been working as a MH consultant for Northern parts of Canada that serves marginalized communities so in a way I've experienced and seen some things and this has sparked my interest to shift into the E/CC world again but the civy side (being in the hospital all the time) no longer interest me, I know as NO you still have clinicals but in the forces you get deployed from time to time also it's just different than being civ nurse.

Also, I'm 32 fairly gym fit. cardio could use some work but that can be taken cared of. any other 30+ that signed up made it out of BMOQ? do peoeple fail BMOQ? or will I even get a response from recruiters esp that I'm older?
I'm very flexible with moving wherever province they'll send me so CPT is not a problem.
I plan to join as an NO and knowing that my E/CC is rusty is it recommended to take some courses before signing up or is training provided?
I know they have MH staff/ dept as well but that's not why I want to sign up, with my background, training, and various certs in MH and crisis managment any chance that they'll stick me in MH? if so can I leave? I know sounds extreme but I want to be in E/CC.

edit: ok say I was in MH, what are my chances to be deployed?

any information at all can help.

Thank you!

BV

Hey mate, I am not in the armed forces...

But if you do a quick search on this site you will see the short answer is that 32 is not to old. Failure rate at BMOQ is not super horrid and being fit 20 pushups/situps, 8-10 pull ups, 2.4k in 12 m 40s and able to run 5k... makes it easier.

Any rate spend some time googling this site and you will find answers to questions you never even thought of.

Abdullah

P.s
Failing BMQ
https://milnet.ca/forums/threads/3792.0

Deployments
https://army.ca/forums/threads/39949/post-338325.html#msg338325

AbdullahD said:
Hey mate, I am not in the armed forces...

But if you do a quick search on this site you will see the short answer is that 32 is not to old. Failure rate at BMOQ is not super horrid and being fit 20 pushups/situps, 8-10 pull ups, 2.4k in 12 m 40s and able to run 5k... makes it easier.

Any rate spend some time googling this site and you will find answers to questions you never even thought of.

Abdullah

P.s
Failing BMQ
https://milnet.ca/forums/threads/3792.0

Deployments
https://army.ca/forums/threads/39949/post-338325.html#msg338325

Thanks for the reply, I've read comments I find that are somewhat relevant to me and I guess with the 'fear of unknown' I posted this, as this is a shift in career in a way and pay scale will be greatly different but I've already taken that into consideration.

Just want to know the likelihood of shifting focus from an MH nurse to an Emerge/CC in the force. or is even sticking to MH better?

if you or anyone has a link or some answers would be greatly appreciated.

cheers!

Back