• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The PM's arrogance...hurries past war graves

John Nayduk

Inactive
Reaction score
By SHAWN  McCARTHY
 From Thursday's Globe and Mail

Munich - At a site that evoked reverence and reflection among the premiers, Prime Minister Jean Chré'©en appeared impatient to move on to the next stop on his Team Canada tour of Germany.
http://www.globeandmail.ca/servlet/RTGAMArticleHTMLTemplate/C/20020221/wxceme?hub=homeBN&tf=tgam%252Frealtime%252Ffullstory.html&cf=tgam/realtime/config-neutral&vg=BigAdVaria bleGen erator&slug=wxceme&date=20020221&archive=RTGAM&site=Front&ad_page_name=breakingnews

This thread should have been titled "PM shows his true colours, and his disrespect for Canadian soldiers who gave their lives". Fortunately, I‘m going to control myself, and not use the word for excrement I‘d really like to use to describe this display of arrogance by "Da Liddle Thug From Shawningan".

Here‘s the rest of the story:

------------------------
PM hurries by war graves

Chrétien strides past Canadian tombstones in Germany; premiers make time to pause

By SHAWN MCCARTHY

Thursday, February 21, 2002

MUNICH -- At a site that evoked reverence and reflection among the premiers, Prime Minister Jean Chrétien appeared impatient to move on to the next stop on his Team Canada tour of Germany.

Mr. Chrétien paid his respects to Canada‘s war dead yesterday, but he hurried out of the Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery in Durnbach with barely a glance at the names on the tombstones marked by small Canadian flags.

The premiers accompanying Mr. Chrétien snatched time to pause at well-maintained graves of Commonwealth fliers and pronounced themselves profoundly moved.

The cemetery, set in rolling farmland near the Bavarian Alps, contains the remains of 2,468 Allied servicemen killed during the Second World War, including 483 Canadians shot down over Germany.

The Prime Minister and the premiers visited the cemetery during a stop in Munich for a Team Canada trade and investment mission.

On a grey, damp, chilly morning, Mr. Chrétien and the premiers laid wreathes at a cenotaph amid the shrill blare of bagpipes. Bavarian Science Minister Hans Zehetmaier also laid a wreath.
When the ceremony was over, the Prime Minister turned to go but was encouraged by a photographer to walk among the gravestones. Off he strode, taking two minutes to walk the rows, slowing once, for the slightest moment.

Then he was out the gate and off to meet the President of the Bavarian Parliament, Johann Boehm, the next stop on what has been a whirlwind tour of business meetings, photo opportunities and sessions with senior political leaders.

Ontario Premier Mike Harris, accompanied by a photographer, arrived ahead of the official delegation and laid wreathes at the tombs of three airmen from North Bay. His aides said he intends to send the pictures to family members, some of whom live in Ontario.

"The three airmen were 19, 20 and 26," Mr. Harris said. "I have a son who turned 17 yesterday, and that‘s getting pretty close to this age. It is very emotional for me, as is what they went through and the freedoms that we enjoy."

The three North Bay dead are Daryl Owens McMahon, Edward Peverly and Lindsay Wilkie Webster.

Mr. Chrétien said he felt he had paid his respects during the rushed visit through the cemetery. "You know, I visited a certain number of tombs and I paid my respects." He noted that Mr. Harris had visited the gravesites of men whose families had lived in his riding.

"There was no indication that there was anybody [from Shawinigan] -- I looked at the names."

Mr. Chrétien suggested it was difficult to stop for a reflective moment when he was leading a large delegation of premiers, German hosts and officials. Had he stopped as he strolled up one row and down another, he might have read: Pilot Officer, W. J. Hope, Air Gunner, Royal Canadian Air Force, 26 August 1944, Age 20. Beloved son Fred. K. Hope and Vera M. Norman, Born Perth, Ontario, Canada, November 9, 1923.

Or he might have noticed the granite slab dedicated to Flight Sergeant R. J. O‘Reilly, age 18 when he was shot down on March 16, 1945.

The premiers -- many of whom were making their first official visits to European military cemeteries -- were clearly moved by the rows of tombstones. Saskatchewan Premier Lorne Calvert said that his father had been sent to Germany during the war.

"It was for me, then, an emotional experience, thinking about my father -- not killed -- survived, came home," Mr. Calvert said. "But that he might have shared one of those graves was very real to me.

"And when you think of the number of Canadian flags of a similar nature that are scattered about Europe, and indeed, across the world, one understands the role our nation, our people have played."

Manitoba Premier Gary Doer said the graves of boys from towns close to where he grew up brought home the tragedy. "These were kids that would have probably, for many of us, been known to our family members, probably danced with my mother in Neepawa."

"So it really comes home, the tragedy of war . . . the youth, a lost generation."

aaahh ... now I understand.
Obviously the PM had more important things on his mind ... like this:

Friday, February 22, 2002
Plum for Chretien relative
Grandniece moves to $94Gs job
By ANNE DAWSON <mailto:adawson@sunpub.com
<mailto:adawson@sunpub.com> >, Sun Media

OTTAWA -- Prime Minister Jean Chretien‘s grandniece was quietly given a plum government job that pays up to $94,400-a-year in the tough-to-crack foreign affairs department, Sun Media has learned.

Although many who have held her new position in the past have been required to take an extensive foreign service exam, Caroline Chretien was advised it wasn‘t necessary.

Caroline Chretien, whose father Raymond is Canada‘s ambassador to France, had previously been employed by her uncle Jean in the Prime Minister‘s Office as a senior special assistant.

Until she was quietly shuffled off to her new executive post at foreign affairs last fall, she had spent the past several years travelling the world doing advance work for the PM‘s foreign trips.

Foreign affairs spokesman Carl Schwenger confirmed the younger Chretien is the new deputy chief of protocol and the director of diplomat core services.

She‘s responsible for meeting visiting dignitaries at the airport, and acts as a liaison for the 8,000 foreigners who have diplomatic status in Canada.

"She‘s got extensive experience in the world of visits and protocol issues," Schwenger said.

"That‘s an integral part of when the PM goes overseas -- getting those little issues right."

He said the exam "isn‘t mandatory" because her job requires no overseas travel, but conceded many who have held the position previously have had to take the exam.

Tory Senator Marjory LeBreton criticized Chretien for putting his family first when it comes to government jobs.

"It‘s proof that the PM views the whole government and all its departments and agencies as his own personal fiefdom," said LeBreton.

Me make‘s me F‘n SICK one rule for us and another for the RICH!!!!!

And yet we are the daft bugger‘s that go out and protect these ARSEHOLE‘S!

At least we have our HONOUR which no man can take away and if we meet in the street we can hold our heasd‘s HIGH! when we meet. :cdn:

This is disgusting.
If the Liberals aren‘t gone in the next election, than I am.

Enfield were are you going to ?

Do you have a trade or profession i.e plumber ,fitter ,machinest ?

If you have these paper‘s you can get a job any where in the world. STOP and think before you act this from an OLD FART WHO DID the same as you are thinking about now and got ****ed :)
when I was young and foolish.

Rethink what you are going to do and have a plan and if it don‘t work have an out!

Do you have a duel nationality as I do and where are you going to "Don‘t Say the Legion" it‘s harder than you think!

Be Smart young man don‘t act foolishly!
Stay in School if you are still there and don‘t rely on the MIlitia becuase it will suck you in to a void with no out let!

I thank the Warrant Above every day that I‘m enrolled in a program that will give me a degree that is in white hot demand around the world when I graduate.
I love Canada a lot, it has been more than good to my family for more than four generations, and I love my fellow Canucks, but I am on the same page as Enfield: One more Liberal government, and I swear I am gone.

hmmm ... what was it our arrogant PM said when he cancelled the EH101 contract (and cost the taxpayers well over 500 million dollars in penalty clauses)?
Something about how the Armed Forces didn‘t need a ‘Cadillac‘ helicopter ... ?

Friday, March 1, 2002
Talk about limousine Liberals!

By David Gamble

OTTAWA -- Federal cabinet ministers are getting 25% more to tool around the nation‘s capital in their chauffeur-driven limousines.

Government spending estimates released yesterday reveal the cabinet‘s 26 senior ministers will each get $65,000 -- a $13,000 increase -- in their budgetary allotment for operating limos and paying their drivers.

Alberta Alliance MP John Williams decried the fact that the same estimates show Agriculture Canada will receive $4 million less this year.

"Gas is going up for the ministers, but for the farmer ... he gets nothing, he gets shafted," Williams said.

(more op ed on Da Arrogant Liddle Thug from Shawinigan ...)

March 3, 2002
PM should have Eggs on his face
Statements show his utter disdain for tradition
By BEN MULRONEY -- Tor the Sun
Last week, before a sea of Liberal MPs, Prime Minister Jean Chretien absolved his minister of defence, Art Eggleton, of any wrongdoing.

"Myself, cabinet and the Liberal party have confidence in the abilities and the dedication of the minister of national defence."

Isn‘t that nice?

The problem is, in doing so, he undermined the already pathetic power of the committee charged with judging his conduct in the JTF2 scandal.

Simple math dictates that a solid Liberal majority inside the House of Commons translates into control over parliamentary committees.

Such a reality cannot be avoided.

But when the prime minister usurps the voice of the committee and passes a judgment which is not his to pass, Canadian democracy is done a terrible disservice.

Chretien had neither been sitting on the committee nor had he been privy to all the evidence in the hearing.

Eggleton has said that he would gladly return before the committee in order to clarify his position. Why bother?

His boss has already cleared him of all charges.

And since J.C. speaks on behalf of his entire political flock, he also spoke on behalf of the committee. For him to jump the queue and unilaterally forgive Eggleton demonstrates the utter disregard our leader has for tradition and protocol.

It is entirely possible that Eggleton did nothing wrong, and that he was acting in the best interest of both the nation and the men and women of the military. For all we know, he did the best job he could have done under his given circumstances.

Unfortunately, we will never know, because the system that should have led us to that conclusion was railroaded by the prime minister. Instead of allowing for the process to wind its way to a logical conclusion, Chretien took a shortcut to the finale he was looking for, and in doing so, cheapened our democracy.

The leap of faith Canadians take in order to trust our system of government is a great one.

CHECKS, BALANCES

We must trust that a government elected with less than half the votes cast will govern to the benefit of each and every citizen. We must believe that a government elected by a minority of voters will wield its power respectfully.

The checks and balances imbedded into the American system of government do not exist here. There, each branch of government exists, ideally, to circumscribe the power of the others.

We have no such systemic safeguards. Instead, we rely on faith and tradition.

While our committee system has very little power, it does serve a traditional purpose. It allows for an airing of grievances that question period does not.

It enables MPs to clear the air of any misunderstandings, quarrels or misapprehensions and it maintains a level of transparency in government that otherwise would not exist.

If our government continues to disregard the traditions that allow Canadians to have faith in our parliamentary democracy, it will be establishing a new set of traditions -- one future generations will strive desperately to forget.

(hmmm ... apparently the PM isn‘t the only one with this affliction ... Dennis Mills: Come on down!)

March 3, 2002
Two straight shooters
RICK GIBBONS -- Ottawa Sun
Hey, let‘s play the hottest new board game in town. It‘s called Cover the Boss‘ Butt. It‘s fun, it‘s easy. Just present yourself with an interesting ethical dilemma, then role the dice.

STEP 1: YOUR ROLE

Pretend you‘re one of the highest ranking officers in the military. You have spent a career upholding the traditions of duty and honour and have been rewarded, accordingly, through promotion. You have earned the respect of your troops as a straight shooter.

STEP 2: THE SITUATION

You have dispatched troops into a war zone. However, turns out it‘s your boss, the minister of national defence, who is facing hostile fire on the homefront amidst allegations of lying and incompetence. The boss claims he wasn‘t fully informed of the details of a military operation capturing prisoners until a specified date. As chief of the defence staff, you know otherwise. Gulp!

STEP 3: THE DILEMMA

You‘re called before a Commons inquiry to set the record straight. What to do, what to do ... It‘s time to roll the dice! You have four options. Tread carefully, you have now entered a dangerous political minefield.

a) Tell the Commons committee it‘s all your fault. It was your job to brief the boss and if he‘s confused over exactly when he learned what, then you‘re to blame for confusing him. This is known as the Fall-On-Your-Sword Gambit and may earn you shiny new baubles later.

b) Rag out the clock. Claim not to understand the questions. Frown a lot. Offer stirring lectures about Our Men and Women in uniform. Drink lots of water. Never, ever admit fault on the part of anyone. This will take time, will-power and a large bladder, but could earn you a new ribbon.

c) Take the Ivory Tower defence. Bury the committee in confusing bureaucratic bafflegab. Be patronizing. Apologize if matters are too complex. Mention national security.

When pressed about exactly what you told the boss, say something like, "I informed the minister that the extemporary nature of extraneous circumstances required extra-ordinary extramural extractions and that to extrapolate further might be extrinsic to military interests.‘‘ Repeat often, if necessary, and prepare to take a congratulatory call from the minister.

d) Take an oath to tell the truth and follow it accordingly. Tell the interrogators exactly what you told the boss and exactly when you told him, even though it conflicts sharply with the boss‘s confusing account of briefings.

Hold your ground, stick to the facts, tell it like it is. Oh, and if you have time, you might want to kiss your sorry *** goodbye ...

Hey, that was fun. Now it‘s time to see how our contestants did.

Joining us to assess their performance is Dennis Mills, perennial Liberal backbencher who brings to the case years of frontline experience monitoring Liberal ethical standards. Mr. Mills, both our players selected Option Four. They opted to stick to the facts and tell the committee the truth, as uncomfortable as it was. Let‘s roll the tape for a few selected highlights, shall we? First, here‘s Vice-Admiral Greg Maddison, the man whose job it was to brief the boss about troops taking prisoners.

"The minister was briefed that we had been on a successful mission, that we had followed the appropriate rules of engagement, that none of our people were hurt, that we had captured suspected Afghani terrorists or al-Qaida terrorists, that they had been transported safely, that they had been turned over to the Americans ..."

Well, that seems clear. Now, let‘s hear from Ray Henault, chief of the defence staff:

"The minister was aware of the development of the mission ... The minister was kept fully aware of Canada‘s military operations ..."

Okay, Mr. Mills, it seems you disagree on how our players did.

Dennis Mills: "If my employees tried to hang me out to dry on the national stage, I‘d just say ‘Look! You‘re working in the wrong company.‘ "

Wrong company? Hey, we‘re fresh outta time, but join us again for another peek into Liberal ethical standards ...

You say you love your country, yet you are ready to desert it in a few years when the liberals get back into power? You leave because things are rough? Is that what the army is teaching these days? I sure hope not..

Au contraire, mon western chum.
Each and every soldier and officer presently serving in the Army is a testimony to the loyalty they have, IN SPITE of the shabby, shameful treatment the Liberals have inflicted (definitely not a minority opinion, either):

Monday, March 4, 2002 The Halifax Herald Limited
------------------------------
No time for a creampuff in Defence portfolio

:cdn: THERE ARE three critical situations looming for the Canadian Armed Forces: a full review of the department‘s mandate and capabilities; discussions with the United States aimed at a joint homeland defence network; the increasing likelihood of American military action against Iraq, in which Canada would face strong pressure to participate.

In short, this is no time for a weak minister at the Department of National Defence.

But in Art Eggleton, as recent weeks have clearly revealed, that is exactly what Canada has.

The chain of events that led to the Defence minister‘s appearance last week before the Commons‘ privileges and House procedures committee, which is investigating whether he intentionally misled the Commons, was incredible enough.

Mr. Eggleton‘s contradictory statements about when he first learned Canada had taken prisoners in Afghanistan, and his failure to inform Prime Minister Jean Chretien of that fact, were sharply out of step with the intense public scrutiny the prisoner issue was already receiving, vis-a-vis the application of the Geneva Conventions.

But it was even more astonishing to see the very top DND brass refuse to throw Mr. Eggleton a life preserver at the Commons committee hearings last week. Instead, they hung him out to dry, refusing to play the political game of defending a minister by providing soft, equivocal answers.

If anything, Vice-Admiral Greg Maddison, deputy chief of defence staff, made Mr. Eggleton look stupid when he told the committee that it was not until the third briefing on the matter that the significance of the situation seemed to "click" with the minister.

Where on earth was Mr. Eggleton‘s mind, during his visit to Mexico, when he received the first briefing? On a pina colada, or perhaps a banana-boat ride?

And during the second briefing, when he and Adm. Maddison discussed the situation in light of a front-page newspaper photograph of Canadian troops transporting prisoners (they had been misidentified as American troops), apparently the minister did not think to call the prime minister with the news.

That led to incorrect information being presented in the Commons during question period, first by the prime minister and then Mr. Eggleton, which led to the committee hearings.

While it was unexpected, it is understandable why DND brass refused to go out on a limb for this minister, who has consistently failed to deliver for his department. Despite the repeated criticism of the funding shortage at DND, as compared to its mandate and operational roles, Mr. Eggleton has had no clout in securing the needed additional funds for the Forces.

The ongoing delays over the replacement shipborne helicopters, now further exacerbated by a split-contract process that DND brass opposed, is another example of a minister who has been unable to deliver.

Meanwhile, troops are sent overseas to desert conditions with green jungle camouflage uniforms, ships are sent to sea without proper replacement parts for their helicopter detachments and maintenance standards for all types of military equipment are on a downward slide. All of these problems are due to inadequate funding.

But none of this prevents the federal Liberals from using the military for their own political flag-waving, bragging about Canada‘s great peacekeeping role even as its soldiers suffer burnout and medical complications from repeat missions.

Stunned or deceptive? In the end, it doesn‘t really matter why Mr. Eggleton chose his course of action on the prisoner question. Neither explanation is acceptable in a job that requires strength, forthrightness and, most important, the respect of his troops from top to bottom.

In the mind of Mr. Chretien, precisely the right person is in the Defence portfolio.

It is not the person Canada needs right now. But from the perspective of a prime minister who has stubbornly refused to acknowledge the critical role of a strong military to the sovereignty and security of this country, Art Eggleton is a perfect fit.

- 30 -

As stated in another forum, this is an excellent example of when to go public -- senior officers should not be expected to take the fall for the Minister when he bungled it. This is not airing out dirty laundry in public and it is not a political battle on the part of the military. It is making sure the public has the facts straight without playing partisan politics. I‘m glad to see it. Kudos to the senior staff.

Au contraire, mon western chum.
Each and every soldier and officer presently serving in the Army is a testimony to the loyalty they have, IN SPITE of the shabby, shameful treatment the Liberals have inflicted (definitely not a minority opinion, either):
And that‘s the way it should be. I‘m joining because I have pride in my country despite it‘s flaws. Better liberals than to loose our autonomy and become the next state.

well....I won‘t talk too much because I could talk days about this subject....but how do you expect us to have a better military when every single student is brainwashed by teacher that keep talking how great marxism is and ****s like that......especially history teachers...to me its sickening......liberals will still be there for probably over 100 years if nothing happens, with all the immigrants coming, it just take 3 years before they can vote and they vote for liberals and more and more of their pathetic friends come to our country....and they all think that this is some sort of banana republic.....i say **** them....this is Canada and it will always be

Korus, you know sweet **** all about my patriotism and my loyalties. Don‘t make yourself look like some numpty **** by a$$-uming about **** you don‘t know.
Capice?

Hey Marauder, don‘t you already feel like some old-salt on these boards with all the FNG‘s...God, we need some RSM to sort us out.

****ing scary isn‘t it Infanteer? Maybe we just need a MCPL to jack us up... God knows I still have an ungodly fear of any sleeve that has a maple leaf or crown on it. :D

But hey, I just got my G-Tex boots and boonie hat and FINALLY got ALL my DEUs (after SEVEN ****ING MONTHS). I‘ve got a dip in, a beer in both hands, and I just found out our April ex is a LIVE FIRE PL attack with no ****, HONEST TO GOD CHOPPERS ferrying in all elements. Not ML-o-copters, real GRIFFONS bay-bee. :D :D :D :D For the moment all is right with the world.

Hey Marauder

I thought you guys were making fun of FNGs. Heres a tip. Never believe anything they tell you unitl about 5 minutes AFTER you start doing it. Been promised griffons, Hercs, all kinds of nifty training aids. Ive seen orders go to **** half a pace from stepping off. They told us once that a Griffon would fly us out of a Recce ex, even did helo exiting drills with the CSM. Low and behold it begins to pour and we all have to "sleep" out in the field. Next day as we drive out of the base we see the Griffons all nicely lined up and flagged on the helipads. Im assuming they dont like to fly in the rain. Good luck with your Griffons ;)

The Liberal Gov‘t hasn‘t supported the military in years, they are only upping the budget because of world pressure. If it was up to them we‘d only have a small peacekeeping force and no fighting troops. For this reason I‘ll NEVER support the Liberals( unless they start supporting our men and woman of the Forces) :cdn:

Back