• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The PM's arrogance...hurries past war graves

Sooner or later, Canadians will decide they‘re fed up with a government that is willing to risk lives in the Armed Forces just to avoid admitting it made a mistake.
Either that, or (more likely) They‘ll forget about the liberal‘s blunders right before the election, and re-elect them again....

Of course the electorate will forget, there will be a big infusion of cash in the prime Liberal areas. The rest of us will be considered Western whiners and the Liberal travelling road show will keep it‘s tents pitched on the Hill.

As for the US Customs setting up shop here, does anyone recall an organization named Ports Canada Police. Probably not, Former Insp Inkster (RCMP) and the Liberals burried them along with the RCMP Special Constable (aerodrome security)program. Where are our biggest threats, ports and airports. Who would of thought...? :rolleyes:

(I can barely believe my eyes - Chretien cancels the contract to replace the Sea Kings ... but then turns around and buys the most modern executive jet available today in Canada, to fly His Excellency The Little Thug From Shawinigan and his equally arrogant Liberal flunkies around in comfort?)

March 29, 2002

Ottawa finds $100-million for new jets to ferry PM
On last day of fiscal year

Andrew McIntosh
National Post

OTTAWA - The federal government yesterday spent $100-million to buy two Challenger 604 business jets from Bombardier Inc. that will be used to ferry the Prime Minister and other ministers travelling on government business.

The deal was announced on the last business day of the government‘s fiscal year. No public tenders were called and Public Works officials did not explore whether suitable used jets were available.

"I am outraged," said John Reynolds, a Canadian Alliance MP and chairman of the Commons public accounts committee.

"We have 40-year-old military helicopters falling out of the sky and we‘re going to buy jets for the Prime Minister rather than helicopters for our own military pilots. It shows how arrogant this government has become."

A source familiar with the deal said the Prime Minister‘s Office insisted that National Defence come up with the money for the new corporate jets, which were sitting on an apron at a Bombardier plant near Montreal.

The older model Challenger jets have experienced serious problems in the last year and senior officials wondered whether their continued use was appropriate for the Prime Minister. A spokesman for the Prime Minister referred queries to the office of Don Boudria, the Minister of Public Works.

Mr. Boudria dismissed the criticism from opposition MPs, saying the government is merely upgrading and modernizing its fleet.

"This is the best there is," he said. "There is only one Canadian manufacturer. Compatibility with our existing fleet was also a factor."

The two new Challenger 604s, worth $38.2-million each, plus more for spare parts and training, will replace two 19-year-old Challenger models.

The $100-million purchase will be partially offset by proceeds from the sale of the older jets, which should fetch an estimated total of $12-million to $19-million.

The new aircraft has a range of 7,550 km -- 2,000 km greater than the older model -- and its operating costs are 34% lower, Mr. Boudria said.

amcintosh@nationalpost.com

I think our pilots should attempt the flight to Ottawa and park the tired out Sea Kings on the PM‘s front lawn and walk away! Mabye then he would get the hint. Just imagine if the Canadian Military was part of the CAW!!

I realize all of this is illegal, but....
But wouldn‘t it be great if the pilots of the VIP aircraft refuesd to fly? Or if the CDS shut them down, without telling the PM, as "budget cuts"?

If the Guards in Ottawa spent the summer infront of Parliament picketing? Or doing sentry with little signs that say "Please donate to the CF" with a hat.

If the next time a foreign dignitary visits the military cut the cermonial guard?

But none of it would matter. The people still don‘t care, and never will.

The real kicker is that the $100 million comes out of the defence budget, becuase the CF is in charge of proivding flight service for high Canadian Government officials and foreign/national VIPs. After the paltry amount given to the military--$1.2 billion--over 5 years and mostly to fund the war effort and not to improve limited capabilities; my faith in Canada‘s government--whatever the brand--is almost beyond the point of no return.

Reading the NP today, one of the Challenger pilots stated that the current fleet were in good condition, despite their age. So these new ones can land on a shorter runway, and have somewhat greater range, but to take the cash out of DND for Cretin‘s "ego trips" is insulting. When that a$$hole was being interviewed by the "Commie Broadcasting Corp." he said that the CF doesn‘t need heavy airlift capability of its own, we can just rent it! Well then why doesn‘t he just rent corporate jets, rather than suck DND dry of funds?? :mad:

I‘m with Enfield; it would be a real shame if the CDS said, "Ooops, we can‘t afford those jet‘s fuel and maintenance. ‘Fraid you and your lackeys are gonna have to fly the Sea Kings and Hercs to get to your golf holidays in the States and Quebec."

Any bets on how long it would be before we had a shiny new batch of Blackhawks and C-117‘s sitting on the tarmac in Trenton?
I‘d give it a month.

(you‘ll love the last bit - about Da Liddle Thug From Shawinigan)

Ottawa paid $136,800 for golf balls and tees
MP‘s annual waste report

Tim Naumetz
Southam News
OTTAWA - The federal government spent $121,000 on golf balls last year and a further $15,800 on tees, a Canadian Alliance MP says.
In his annual Waste Report, a survey of questionable spending by federal departments, John Williams says the balls and tees were used as government promotional items, along with golf umbrellas, cameras and even perfume.
Mr. Williams also questioned unusual spending items in the Department of Foreign Affairs, including an $8,000 grant to the Barking Sphinx Performance Society and a $10,000 grant to Mad Pudding, a Canadian Celtic funk band that used the money to travel to Scotland.
Foreign Affairs also doled out $22,500 to the Plug In Gallery of Winnipeg for the World Tea Party. The exhibit apparently explored the art of hosting tea parties by serving it at various World Festival of Sacred Music events.
Other Foreign Affairs spending included: $1,037 for tickets to the Robert Lepage play Far Side of the Moon; $1,000 to Chicks in Flicks Productions, which allowed artist Lulu Keating to travel to Denmark; and $8,000 to the Asociacion Espanola de Estudios in Barcelona, for a seminar on Senate reform.
Mr. Williams also challenged $44,517 spent to refurbish the office and executive washroom of Human Rights Commissioner Michele Falardeau-Ramsay.
Mr. Williams called the grants ridiculous, saying taxpayers would likely have objected to the spending had they been asked.
Musical groups such as Mad Pudding should depend on their own resources to travel, he said.
"If they are that good, they should be able to pay for it on their own," the Alliance MP argued. "Why do they have to be subsidized?"
Under promotional items, the government spent $54,852 on golf umbrellas, $152,451 on briefcases, $16,714 on games and wheeled toys and $1,744 on perfume.
Separate federal departments handed out a total of $2.3-million in grants and funding for six projects and centres in Jean Chrétien‘s riding intended to boost the Prime Minister‘s popularity, Mr. Williams said.

(I find it incredible, pathetic that an offhand, flippant remark from an arrogant ignoramus - Crouton - can scuttle serious debate. The Liddle Thug From Shawinigan figures we don‘t need military airlift, and then goes out and buys himself two new executive jets ... and makes DND pay for them! Only in Canada, eh? Pity ...)

Friday, April 5, 2002
The Halifax Herald Limited
------------------------

Plans stall for new air force transports
By John Ward / The Canadian Press

Ottawa - Just a few weeks ago, the air force was busily planning to acquire a fleet of muscular transport planes. But the whole idea has been shot down, say defence analysts.

"It ain‘t on," said Dale Grant, managing editor of Defence Policy Review.

David Rudd of the Canadian Institute of Strategic Studies said the government doesn‘t appear committed to strategic airlift.

The dream of strategic lift, the ability to fly big loads a long distance, seemed to be solidifying after Canadian soldiers had to hitch a ride from the Americans to get to Afghanistan.

The inability to fly them there in Canadian planes angered opposition politicians and became a brief news sensation. Generals and planners talked about buying some big planes. They even mused about the huge Boeing C-17, a hulking brute capable of hauling anything the Canadian army operates.

"What we really need is something that can take outsized cargo, relatively large quantities of it, and take it over long distances in fairly good speed and that‘s the thing we haven‘t had," Lt.-Gen. Lloyd Campbell, head of the air force, said last month.

Col. Pat Dowsett, project manager for the military‘s future airlift office, spoke of issuing a formal request for proposals to industry by fall.

Aircraft manufacturers trotted into Ottawa to show off their wares to the military and the Commons defence committee. They included the C-17, the A-400M from Airbus Military and Lockheed‘s C-130-J, a high-tech descendant of the workhorse C-130 Hercules now used by the Canadian air force.

Even Defence Minister Art Eggleton spoke of the idea as being an active file.

Then, Prime Minister Jean Chretien blew the whole concept out of the air, said Grant.

"We can rent planes," Chretien said in a mid-March interview.

That, said Grant, was the end of the road.

Eggleton then told the House of Commons that there was nothing special about asking the Americans for a lift to Afghanistan.

There has been little talk of airlift since.

Military spokesman Lt.-Cmdr. Philip Anido said the airlift project remains on track and officials are "keeping all options open."

That ranges from buying new transport plans to maintaining the current system of leasing transports when needed.

But Anido acknowledged that what happens will depend on which way the political winds are blowing.

"Clearly, what the government wants will rule the day," he said. "We‘re just planning ahead and letting everyone know what the requirement is and we‘ll get what we can."

Before Chretien squelched the debate, the strategic lift concept seemed to be on the move.

Paul Cellucci, the American ambassador, gave things a gentle push in a speech to Canadian defence industry people: "A modern military force requires the means to move forces in a crisis."

Opposition politicians pounced on that, but couldn‘t move the government.

"It‘s not just what you need, it‘s what can you afford," said Rudd.

He pointed out that the air force is already looking at billions of dollars to replace the Sea King helicopters and better than $1 billion for upgrades to the CF-18 fighter-bombers and the Aurora long-range patrol planes.

"Is there enough resource flexibility even to replace the Hercs with anything in the near future?" he asked. "I‘m not entirely sure that there is."

The helicopter and the upgrades come before transport, he said, "to say nothing of what the other two services want and can‘t afford."

Grant said the airlift issue was a passing fancy.

"You can write off strategic lift as another one of those sudden enthusiasms that sweep Canadian defence circles, but never go anywhere after consuming a few hundred million in taxpayer dollars and a lot of wasted effort by defence contractors.

"Remember nuclear submarines?"

Rudd agreed, noting the airlift debate was driven by the Afghan situation.

"A crisis does reveal operational or equipment shortcomings, but once the crisis passes you‘re back to muddling through and I think the government would prefer that."

Grant said the government isn‘t willing to spend any more on defence than it absolutely has to.

He quoted Gen. J.C.E. Theriault, a defence chief from the early 1980s: "If you have money to spend, spend it on something that can shoot."

Alright...time for a coup d‘etat.

Hmm,

Promised myself I wouldn‘t get into the trenches and slug it out, but sometimes it‘s good to refresh old battle drills.

What a crock of $&!+, the Grits are out of control and we all sit back and play the age old tradition of Canadiana Apathea :rolleyes: . Wine, gripe and vote Liberal (we see the big cash infusions prior to every election and forget the previous couple of years of dogma and cronyism).

The CF needs prime movers, what do we get, an untendered, under the table matching set of Challenger 604‘s that Bombardier can‘t seem to sell.

We have an elected body of neoclassic cronies who are systematically destroying pretty much every government service we pay taxes for, including Health Care. Ralphy K. didn‘t cut transfer payments, but the way the Grit hordes and central Canucklehead Land carry on :crybaby: ; he has been made the poster boy for it‘s inevitable destruction.

As a nation we are paying more and getting less for our taxpayers dollars. There is a perfectly serviceable Airbus in Trenton that is scoped out for VIP travel??? Oh right the Taj Mulroney.

The Airforce can‘t even dump the bird (they have tried), so why not use it for its intended role. That $100 mil for matching Bombardier bookends is coming out of DND. WHERE?

We are about to send a Reserve Battle Group to the Balkans. Excellent idea, if the proverbial hits the fan, send ‘em home, administratively indicate they are/where unfit for duty and write them off. Then the poor sap‘s have too spend the rest of their adult lives trying to get recognition for their service and benefits should they happen to get injured :( . By the way, who is paying for this ROTO, the CF et al or the Reserves, there seems to be a rumour purporting that NDHQ has very quickly played the financial shell game and is moving this too the reserve accounting books, shielding the Reg Force funds. Me think the bill is being downloaded unceremoniously and the effects are yet to be realized. So what happens to the reserves then, no mulla, no kit, no training, yadda yadda. At least it is good to see the DND mandarins may have learned a lesson from grit economics and can stick it to someone else for a change, I.E. reserves. Better than having the grunts, pigeons and sailors battling it out. Especially as the bills for our new found raison dete come in and quickly swallow up the existing $1.2 bil. I see a lot of cancelled training and kit in the foreseeable future. :eek:

The PM and the Grits are out of control, a gun control org and law that does not work (anyone notice how they tried to download it into the private sector last year) and is way over budget (yes, I have burried my heat and soldering guns), a military that is slowly fading into oblivion financially and resource wise. A coast guard that can not guard our coasts let alone break ice (other than in the officers wardroom in Dartmouth), need I say more? :sniper:

Folks instead of griping, why not start thinking about the alternatives and in the next election bury these power munching, nepotistic cronies. Oh right, I keep forgetting the old fear, if we lose the Grits, we lose control of the centre of the universe and allow outside impure thoughts from the West. You could always vote NDP… :skull: (not likely)

As a nation we listened to the Grit machine and banished the Tory boogieman :evil: for an eternity of damnation (did they not increase our military and associated spending in the 80’s). Why not now look at the messengers for the snake oil sales men they are and banish them as well. Before Shawinigan becomes the Nations Capitol, or betters yet, the social and cultural centre of excellence it is slowly becoming with all the Grit coin that seems to be cascading there. I will be choked the day it is added to the PGA Masters list.

Ah, that feels better, and to think I am a card carrying Grit :warstory: .

I kind of agree with postponing the procurement of heavy-airlift capabilities to put a higher priority on replacing the seakings, and upgrading the 18‘s.

Too bad the gov‘t isn‘t putting much of a priority on ANY of the above.

If the gov‘t cared about the military, they‘d just increase the budget, and we‘d be able to get new sea kings, as well as some heavy transports... But instead we‘ll just have to watch Luxenburg pass us in military spending...

I disagree, the airlift problem is a major issue. Over 19 of 32 C-130 transports are 35+ years old. As many as 40% of the 32 aircraft are unavailable for use, becuase of routine maintenance. That is a large number of aircraft due to age.

Second, Canada, unlike Europeans requires a heavylift transport aircraft such as the C-17 (capable of transporting 75,000kg+), because Canada has to cross the Pacific, Atlantic, and/or United States to get to our deployment areas. To rapidly deploy or evacuate troops or citizens we have to have heavylift strategic transports; otherwise its impossible. It took us just over 3 weeks to get to Afghanistan after months of preparartions.

However, I agree Sea Kings, CP-140, and CF-18 replacement/upgrades must come first. Strategic transport via air shoud be fourth for the air fleet.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

My youngest son sent me from the Ottawa Citizen:

http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawacitizen/story.asp?id={AC27C0DD-C381-44E6-A41C-CD408EC732C8}

‘No need‘ to replace jets for MPs

It discussing the hire of a aircraft for C$220K to fly the PM to Brisbane for the CHOGAM Conference. The rational being:
"the Prime Minister‘s Office said the decision was made to use the Bombardier aircraft because the Challengers lacked the range required to make the 181/2-hour trip to Australia. As well, the military‘s Airbus was too big for the runway near where the conference was being held."

Brisbane International Airport, 17 minutes to the city centre, and RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force) Base Amberbly, some 45 minutes to the city centre, are both capable of taking the worlds two largest aircraft (fully laden) the C5 Galaxy and the AN-124, both far larger than the ‘old‘ Airbus used by the CFs.

Lies or what?

Yours,
Jock in Sydney

(Q. How can you tell when the PM‘s phart-catchers are lying? A. When their lips are moving ... and I don‘t mean smoking pole ...).

‘No need‘ to replace jets for MPs
Government spent $101M on new planes even though they were ‘not warranted‘

a journalist
The Ottawa Citizen

Saturday, April 06, 2002

Canada‘s top general was told just months ago that the aircraft used to fly Prime Minister Jean Chrétien and other government VIPs are in excellent condition and there is no need to buy new planes, according to documents obtained by the Citizen.

The federal government announced at the end of March it would purchase two new planes at a cost of $101 million to replace the Challenger aircraft now being used to fly the prime minister, governor general and cabinet members.

But the Chief of the Defence Staff, Gen. Raymond Henault, was told in January that the Challengers have a 99.1-per-cent to 99.4-per-cent reliability rate in being available for the VIPs.

"Given that there are no identifiable trends or problems with this fleet and given the high dispatch reliability of the Challenger, it is recommended that remedial action such as fleet modernization or replacement is not warranted at this time," according to a report given to Gen. Henault on Jan. 8.

It was released to the Citizen under the Access to Information law.

Similar aircraft used by corporate executives have a reliability rate of 99.7 per cent, according to the air force report.

In the study done for Gen. Henault, the air force analysed the reliability of the 19-year-old Challengers after a series of mechanical breakdowns and found the aircraft had an excellent track record. For instance, from April 1, 2000 to Nov. 20, 2001 the Challengers flew 1,595 flights with just 13 late departures due to mechanical problems.

But the air force noted that, unfortunately, four of the delays involved Mr. Chrétien or Defence Minister Art Eggleton. On Nov. 20, 2001, Mr. Eggleton had his flight delayed one hour and 20 minutes due to a routine mechanical problem on one of the aircraft.

On June 22, 2001, a Challenger carrying Mr. Chrétien had a loss of cabin pressure and had to make a precautionary emergency landing in Stockholm. An investigation revealed that debris had been caught in the pressurization valve on the plane. That, however, was considered an isolated incident.

But Renée Filiatrault, a spokeswoman for Mr. Eggleton, said the Challengers are not being replaced because of concerns over their service record or safety. The main reason is that the new aircraft, a more advanced version of the Challenger, will provide greater capabilities, said Ms. Filiatrault.

They will have a range of more than 2,000 kilometres over the older Challengers and will be able to fly from Canada to Europe non-stop. The new aircraft will also be able to land and take off from shorter runways, allowing them to fly into more Canadian communities. The new aircraft would also get better fuel consumption and have more modern guidance and electronic systems.

"All of these things make these Challengers a great acquisition capability-wise," said Ms. Filiatrault. "The bottom line is that these Challengers are a significant upgrade."

Opposition MPs have criticized the purchase of the new aircraft, to be bought from Bombardier of Montreal, as a waste of money. Some defence analysts have also raised concerns that the Canadian Forces will be saddled with the $101-million purchase price at a time when it is struggling to buy much-needed equipment for its troops.

Defence officials said that the money for the new Challengers will initially come out of the military‘s budget. But that money will be reimbursed by Treasury Board so as to not affect overall defence spending.

The Liberals scored political points when in opposition by attacking then-prime minister Brian Mulroney‘s plan to fit a Canadian military Airbus for executive use. They dubbed that plane a "flying Taj Mahal."

But Mr. Chrétien has recently found himself under fire for his travelling habits. In March, he was criticized by opposition MPs for chartering a private plane to take him to a Commonwealth conference in Australia. Opposition MPs said he should have used the larger military Airbus.

The government instead rented a Bombardier Global Express executive jet. The flight, including fuel, ended up costing $220,000.

But the Prime Minister‘s Office said the decision was made to use the Bombardier aircraft because the Challengers lacked the range required to make the 181/2-hour trip to Australia. As well, the military‘s Airbus was too big for the runway near where the conference was being held.

Just saw it on the news... Our man in nigeria failed !!! He did not hit cretin, but the bus‘s tire !!! He must have been trained by a former RCMP special agent, those who used to shoot themselves in the foot with an MP-5 in airport terminals... Allright, we‘re back to the drawing board. When is the next time he will be visiting a backward village ? I know, we‘ll just wait for him in Shawinigan !!! :cdn:

Jungle,

Next time make sure the Joo Joo is good to go. maybe sacrifice an extra chicken or something.

Oh well, next man up.

BTW, did anyone watch the news tonight when he (JC) sluffed it off as nothing, canine distal posterior.

There‘s still hope - he has to visit more African countries, someone‘s gotta get lucky... Better luck next time!

However, there is a good chance NDP MP Svend Robinson will get something in the 7.62 range soon. Watching the Israeli soldiers push him around (and oh, how tough he looked in that bullet-proof vest) was almost worth the Nigerians missing.

Back