• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Politics of Yellow Ribbons - MERGED

My daughter attends UWO and she has seen how anti military many of her professors are, to the point were she won't tell anyone she's and army brat. This attitude tends to rub off on many of the students who don't know any better or haven't been exposed to the military.

To think these will be are future leaders, the new flower power generation, God help us all.

The Chief summed it up, the only support being shown is for serving troops, not a particular political stance. In fact, her point of view just goes to show that she, like many political figures, only see our troops (and the support of them) strictly from a political perspective.

Regardless, Im gonna keep wearing my yellow ribbon pin on my uniform.

I'll keep wearing mine. I will continue to display my magnets on my car... regardless of what anyone else says.

retiredgrunt45 said:
My daughter attends UWO and she has seen how anti military many of her professors are, to the point were she won't tell anyone she's and army brat. This attitude tends to rub off on many of the students who don't know any better or haven't been exposed to the military.

To think these will be are future leaders, the new flower power generation, God help us all.

I guess I've been lucky enough to get professors who aren't anti-military. Many of the ones I have had are anti-war, but support the military. Or at least that's the impression I got. It really depends on the individual.

You would think a Poli Sci major would have a little better understanding of the issues, but this seems to be more of an individual trying to project their personal agenda. 

Maybe someone should explain to her that, "Support The Troops" means you can support them regardless of which political party is in power.  Might need to drag out the sock puppets for this one.  ::)

I've seen many on police cars around here.

I know that there are some staff at my school that do not support what is being done...I overheard one colleague saying "they should only be there building schools!"

As for myself, I have magnets up in my classroom and in my office. I wear my camo braclet everyday.  :salute:

I suppose only a Poli Sci Major could decode a "Support Our Troops" message into a political slant.

Gronk said:
I suppose only a Poli Sci Major could decode a "Support Our Troops" message into a political slant.

Easy there, she may have gotten her decoder ring from a cereal box but I didn't.  ;)

Gronk said:

Well not all Poli Sci majors and Poli Sci grads are like her- there must be a number with CF commissions. Get her into a debate with another informed Poli Sci major who supports the troops, and it's unlikely her position would hold.

Am I the only one that fails to see how this changes the impartiality of the police force?

When they catch you breaking into an animal testing lab or something else, are you going to claim you were arrested because you don't support the troops, and not because you're doing something illegal? I don't understand the connection, maybe it's because I took computer science in college (where ideals are nothing and logic is everything), I'm not sure.

This will not affect the officer's job performance in any way. It's not like they have "End Prohibition, Legalize Pot" on the back of their cruisers...

Apparently she may not be old enough to remember as far back as a couple of years ago when the Liberal Party was governing...and those exact same yellow "Support Our Troops" ribbons were being worn on the ass-end of vehicles nation-wide (including those of various Provincial/City level services).

Or, perhaps she chooses to ignore that little factoid.

Simply put, these ribbons have been displayed by people of all political stripes to show their "Support of the Troops" regardless of which party they supported regarding the Mission in Afghanistan.

Yes Sleeping Beauty, indeed there are some who can spin "media gold" out of nothing; please advise Santa to remove them from his Christmas list. I'd appreciate it, thanks.

CougarShark said:
Well not all Poli Sci majors and Poli Sci grads are like her- there must be a number with CF commissions. Get her into a debate with another informed Poli Sci major who supports the troops has the slightest idea of what is going on, and it's unlikely her position would hold.

It's not just support the troops, but also having the knowledge, (but I suppose most who support the mission have read up on it a bit more than those who say "out now," and whatnot).
But I agree with what you're saying. The flower power fighters when put face to face in a debate will have nothing to counter the fact that there are now six million kids back in school.

CougarShark said:
Well not all Poli Sci majors and Poli Sci grads are like her- there must be a number with CF commissions.

And also a number without commissions.

midget-boyd91 said:
It's not just support the troops, but also having the knowledge, (but I suppose most who support the mission have read up on it a bit more than those who say "out now," and whatnot).
But I agree with what you're saying. The flower power fighters when put face to face in a debate will have nothing to counter the fact that there are now six million kids back in school.

No, she's a current Poli Sci student so there is NO excuse for her not having the knowledge...other than failure of instruction and lack of her own personal drive to research before she speaks; especially regarding something of a politcal context which she is doing in this case; her apparent future specialty. "Insert your Diety here" help us all I say.

Or as you suggest, the frequent tendancy of those with a leftish leaning in their political views, to absolutely forget what occured while their party of choice was in power.

The Librarian said:
Or as you suggest, the frequent tendancy of those with a leftish leaning in their political views, to absolutely forget what occured while their party of choice was in power.

You mean Haper did not go Bush's war all by himself  :eek:
  I thought that was what revisionist history is all about...

I had a first year Poli Sci prof who nearly failed me on an essay over my position against quotas.  Her comments all had to do with her political slant as opposed to the structure of the essay or the supporting arguments provided.

For my final exam, having figured out how the game worked (I'm occasionally a pretty bright guy), I wrote an essay in favour of quotas using the exact same structures and got an "A".

Bottom Line:  Based on the prof's, especialy those in "Poli Sci" and "Arts" in general, who are in charge of shaping young minds (mine had already been shaped by the time I got there by my father), I don't expect anything smart to come from university students, and am pleasantly surprised when individuals exceed that expectation.

Matthew.  :salute:

The Librarian said:
Simply put, these ribbons have been displayed by people of all political stripes to show their "Support of the Troops" regardless of which party they supported regarding the Mission in Afghanistan.

I'll take it even one step further - a person and/or institution can still support the troops no matter WHAT mission those troops happen to be engaged in.  Even if Canada had no troops in AFG right now, it is possible to support our troops doing their job - let's not forget that people are dying on missions where there's no more shooting, too.

I concur with you, you should support the troops always!  Even if you do not support the mission or the politics of those in power.
I think it sounds wonderful that the LPS is outwardly supporting our troops, some citizens of this great land don't even know that we have a military let alone one that is at war to preserve democracy and decency in a foreign land.
I'm still trying to find out when Cpl. Benoît Chevalier will be repatriated home.  IF he is repatted back to Trenton. 

:cdn: RIP Peacekeeper

CougarShark said:
Well not all Poli Sci majors and Poli Sci grads are like her- there must be a number with CF commissions. Get her into a debate with another informed Poli Sci major who supports the troops, and it's unlikely her position would hold.

Bin there done that CS.
Thanks for pointing this out. :salute:

Cdn Blackshirt said:
Bottom Line:  Based on the prof's, especialy those in "Poli Sci" and "Arts" in general, who are in charge of shaping young minds (mine had already been shaped by the time I got there by my father), I don't expect anything smart to come from university students
Well, a lot of that shaping takes before they get to university. I might be overstepping my bounds here, but as an educator and former reservist I shudder to think what is being said about our troops. University students are old enough to (hopefully) create informed opinions. Many of the students that I teach don't have the maturity to do that and are easily swayed. I not trying to bash my profession nor imply that all teachers are misinformed, but based on the conversation I mentioned in my previous post, I do have concerns. I always try to tell my students that they need to form their own opinions, but I also try to give them the tools and information to make it as informed as possible. They all know where I stand, but I wouldn't try to push them in a particular direction. However, I know that this always isn't the case. Just my $0.02.

Back