• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Post-pandemic Canadian Armed Forces

Eye In The Sky said:
Can the CAF issue a legal order for mbr's to use personal internet/cell services and devices for 'crown business'?

Right?

If I'm logging in to Facebook to watch a change of command parade do I have to change my name to my real name or can I stick with my screen name, Sugar ButtButtt.

What if the chain of command doesn't like some of the facebook groups I'm in. Can they tell me to leave them? I can be charged or put on administrative action for liking memes or posts after all.

I know it sounds like I'm just stiring the pot (the order to watch a Facebook change of command parade is a real thing out west) but it's interesting to see where we'll draw the line with this stuff.

Jarnhamar said:
. . .  (the order to watch a Facebook change of command parade is a real thing out west) . . .

Did that order include the requirement to watch in real time (in uniform?) or could one do it later, in their gitch or while taking a crap?

Jarnhamar said:
Right?

If I'm logging in to Facebook to watch a change of command parade do I have to change my name to my real name or can I stick with my screen name, Sugar ButtButtt.

What if the chain of command doesn't like some of the facebook groups I'm in. Can they tell me to leave them? I can be charged or put on administrative action for liking memes or posts after all.

I know it sounds like I'm just stiring the pot (the order to watch a Facebook change of command parade is a real thing out west) but it's interesting to see where we'll draw the line with this stuff.

The same direction has been issued at my Sqn for the Squadron Brief (I don't think it should be on FB/ZOOM to start off with but...);  deemed "mandatory".  Many people will likely just 'fall in line'...I'm more of the "I pay?  My say" type.  I balance it with 'common sense'...but, I also ack it is easier for me to push back than it is for Pte's, NCOs and the "junior" Jnr Officers.

There is no "policy" specifically that I know of, but I liken it to the "use of PMV" one;  I can't be ordered to use my PMV, it can be requested and there is compensation for it if I agree

Like I mentioned earlier...never again will I use my daytime airtime minutes for duty purposes on my cell phone.  I've had multiple requests for me to call people for duty reasons while working remotely and I always (politely, but firmly) say "no" with the reason. The $66 in usage fees for "duty reasons" I ate one month was enough of that.

BTW - that's an awesome FB name...

Jarnhamar said:
Can soldiers be ordered to log into Facebook and watch a change of command parade being broadcast live "because its a parade"?

I love these.

For starters, this unit is assuming everyone has internet access.  How about those individuals with data caps?  Will they be able to claim overages?  It just seems like they are opening the door to all kinds of ass pain.

I don’t get it.  My daughter just graduated high school and the entire 8 hour event was streamed live on YouTube.

So why doesn’t the unit suggest to it’s members that the CoC parade will be live streamed on YouTube?  No account creation necessary. Don’t call it a “parade” because it isn’t.

What’s next? Facebook mess dinners?

What the fuck are they teaching in Toronto?  How do ideas like this gain traction?

Will there be rifles on parade? Do you have to stand to attention and at ease at the appropriate times? Will there be a march past?

Asking for a friend.

:waiting:

We've been "warned" that there is a change of command & appointment parade coming in September or October and that if social distancing rules are still in effect (they will be) that members will be voluntold to particiapte in a socially distanced parade. At the beginning of respiratory illness season.

Maybe they'll stream it and the rest of us will be "ordered" to watch? But who will inspect my DEUs if I have to sit at home? What if lag in the stream causes my drill to be poor?  ;D

"No, that was my five year old who sent the poop emoji as the outgoing commander was speaking about all his accomplishments, not me."

Attachments

• Poop.png
    Poop.png
    96.3 KB · Views: 19
Jarnhamar said:
Can soldiers be ordered to log into Facebook and watch a change of command parade being broadcast live "because its a parade"?

Is this for real?  If it is, the level of stupidity in this organization knows no bounds. 

Why not send a letter to your troops introducing yourself with a biography and your expectations?  Have a small ceremony or something and make watching it optional?

Alternatively, Microsoft Teams can support up to 250 people in a single chat, is totally free software and doesn't require you to give up personal information to a third party, unlike Facebook.

If I were taking over a unit as a CO, I would personally want my Change of Command to be a World of Tanks or World of Warships party.  Anyone that wanted to play could.  Any Troop that dusts me on the virtual field of battle gets a LCBO or other gift card of their choice!

Very fitting for these socially distanced times!

Dolphin_Hunter said:

Great.  Now you gave them ideas. 

At least the food will be (arguably) better.

Dolphin_Hunter said:

Dimsum said:
Great.  Now you gave them ideas. 

Uhhhhhhhhhh...that ship already left harbour in the spring, I'm afraid... :Tin-Foil-Hat:

https://www.facebook.com/RCAF.ARC/photos/pcb.10156938013561237/10156938012996237/?type=3&theater

OK. I watched the level of paranoia about what CAF was going to impose escalate exponentially on this forum. Until someone in authority (read L1's, CDS) distributes direction, stupid local interpretation is not authority to direct policies. FFS guys. And if it does happen, PM me. 

Weinie said:
OK. I watched the level of paranoia about what CAF was going to impose escalate exponentially on this forum. Until someone in authority (read L1's, CDS) distributes direction, stupid local interpretation is not authority to direct policies. FFS guys. And if it does happen, PM me.

These kind of issues shouldn't need CDS/L1 involvement. It's middle management stuff but since it's "novel" (pun intended) it means there will be a bit of trial and error and in some cases decent ad hoc solutions will be found in others; not so much. The trouble is the CAF is generally so micro-manged from the top that some people have minimal ability to deal practically on new situations without central guidance.

Like always: If you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have joined.

:cheers:

Weinie said:

I'm not sure exactly which topic/subj you're referring to...re: distributes direction.

Stupid local interpretation...why would anyone expect that?  It's not like it happened with say...BOOTFORGEN or BEARDFORGEN...right?  ;D

Dolphin_Hunter said:
I love these.

For starters, this unit is assuming everyone has internet access.  How about those individuals with data caps?  Will they be able to claim overages?  It just seems like they are opening the door to all kinds of *** pain.

I don%u2019t get it.  My daughter just graduated high school and the entire 8 hour event was streamed live on YouTube.

So why doesn%u2019t the unit suggest to it%u2019s members that the CoC parade will be live streamed on YouTube?  No account creation necessary. Don%u2019t call it a %u201Cparade%u201D because it isn%u2019t.

What%u2019s next? Facebook mess dinners?

What the frig are they teaching in Toronto?  How do ideas like this gain traction?

OK. Where is the CAF order "ordering" pers to go onto Internet/Facebook. Show me.

Staff edit to reflect quote syntax

FJAG said:
These kind of issues shouldn't need CDS/L1 involvement.

It's L1 involvement that has likely caused this to happen, given that it was an L1 Deputy Comd (DCCA) that has personally directed that all Changes of Command will be live-streamed on FB... it was inevitable that someone would eventually turn that into the troops being required to watch.

Weinie said:
And if it does happen, PM me.

Have a fun chat with MGen Macaulay.

ballz said:
It's L1 involvement that has likely caused this to happen, given that it was an L1 Deputy Comd (DCCA) that has personally directed that all Changes of Command will be live-streamed on FB... it was inevitable that someone would eventually turn that into the troops being required to watch.

Have a fun chat with MGen Macaulay.

You may be old enough to remember the game of "phone tag" where one person in a circle starts a message and then whispers it in the ear of the next, and so on until it reaches the end, with often hilarious/catastrophic results. My boss will have a chat with Derek(DCCA), it will likely be fun, because they are old friends.

Appreciate the feedback

Weinie said:
OK. Where is the CAF order "ordering" pers to go onto Internet/Facebook. Show me.

Staff edit to reflect quote syntax

Mine is an email from the CO, thru my Flight Commander.  "Sqn [virutal] morning briefs are mandatory attendance"; they were done on FB live and ZOOM.  If you didn't have FB, you were encouraged to 'join' and as a minimum, expected to watch the recording later if nothing else.

Send me the e-mail, via PM if you want to protect identities. I will forward it, with an "encouragement" to make it stop.

Eye In The Sky said:
Mine is an email from the CO, thru my Flight Commander.  "Sqn [virutal] morning briefs are mandatory attendance"; they were done on FB live and ZOOM.  If you didn't have FB, you were encouraged to 'join' and as a minimum, expected to watch the recording later if nothing else.
Is Facebook secure? I don't think so.
:facepalm:

How ridiculous.

Back