• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The RCAF's Next Generation Fighter (CF-188 Replacement)

Like the infantry, right? You can work out, do ruck marches on pavement etc but when it comes time to do section and platoon attacks it takes a few days to get in game shape.

Look at Hull and Howe. Both were farmers/ranchers. Physical specimens
I just finished Bryan Trottier's book. He grew up on a small ranch near Val Marie SK. Don't think he ever saw a weight room until the NHL.

Like the infantry, right? You can work out, do ruck marches on pavement etc but when it comes time to do section and platoon attacks it takes a few days to get in game shape.

Look at Hull and Howe. Both were farmers/ranchers. Physical specimens

nvqx0Wl_d.webp

Gordie Howe was an absolute brick shithouse

2xayyg45y1vy.jpg

You got that right. When I came back to Canada from Bahrain and had to quarantine out at my brother's farm, we decided that me running the baler behind the combine would not break any rules. I tell you, just climbing up and down to the tractor cab was bloody exhausting. At the end of the day I'd barely make it to bed and it would seem that I got 10 minutes of sleep and it was morning.
There's gym strength and then there is physical labour strength, two very different entities.

Yep, one of the reasons we can't keep anybody at my current work is because it's 8 but usually 10hrs a day of hard physical labour.

You're already fatigued and you've also got timings to meet and people breathing down your neck because the work isn't getting done "fast enough".... time = money.

We get paid very well but it's only probably marginally more than a cushy Govt office job once you account for taxes, etc LOL.

There is a certain satisfaction and sense of accomplishment you get from the work though that can't be replicated working in an office where everything feels like churn.

I derive far more satisfaction servicing industries where I feel like I am positively contributing to my community and providing an essential service than I ever did working in a HQ or Garrison in the CAF.

Hopefully they have skills and a willingness to work outside the comfy indoor office environment. Labor sector is desperate for people.
Major Trucking Company that has a depot near my house is offering free training and starting wage of $48.00 an hour for folks who want to become long-haul truckers in Northern Ontario.

Again, the work is there but there aren't many takers.

When the "boomers" and GenX are gone how are they even going to keep the lights on?
What I think is crazy is how people don't want this work and instead want to work absolute garbage service industry jobs that pay less....

Do the Math on $48.00 an hour with a 40hr work week not including OT and you get roughly $92,000.00 a year. Accounting for OT, etc.... you know they are making $100,000.00+ a year.

Then compare it to cost of living and income metrics for the region:

The people who actually do these jobs are in the top 2-3% of earners in the Region more than likely.

What I think is crazy is how people don't want this work and instead want to work absolute garbage service industry jobs that pay less....

Do the Math on $48.00 an hour with a 40hr work week not including OT and you get roughly $92,000.00 a year. Accounting for OT, etc.... you know they are making $100,000.00+ a year.

Then compare it to cost of living and income metrics for the region:

The people who actually do these jobs are in the top 2-3% of earners in the Region more than likely.
To somewhat paraphrase

Hard times make hard people.
Hard people solve problems.
Solved problems make soft times.
Soft Times make soft people.
Soft people make problems.

To somewhat paraphrase

Hard times make hard people.
Hard people solve problems.
Solved problems make soft times.
Soft Times make soft people.
Soft people make problems.
100%!!

Just look at yesterday. US DOT spent a ton of money (millions) change the name of the NOTAM system. Notice to Airman because it was sexist. But they did not to work to make the system better.

Hire immigrants. Those that are willing to work
Done!

Its the skills. Even "trained" need refresh or upgrade in most cases. It can and will done. Its just very expensive and time consuming. Language is the first problem too.

In the past you hired a almost trained trades coming from a school then just brought up to the standard of the work place.

Second problem most of the current new Canadians are not even at the level of a Canadian HS grad. But the ones we have hired have the want and spirit. But many do not.

All this adds huge costs on companies and the greater society in general.

The last several posts are very encouraging to me for when I need to find a new job.

Done!

Its the skills. Even "trained" need refresh or upgrade in most cases. It can and will done. Its just very expensive and time consuming. Language is the first problem too.

In the past you hired a almost trained trades coming from a school then just brought up to the standard of the work place.

Second problem most of the current new Canadians are not even at the level of a Canadian HS grad. But the ones we have hired have the want and spirit. But many do not.

All this adds huge costs on companies and the greater society in general.
I would say we have this issue. Language barrier is a huge impediment as is the education system from some of these Countries, it varies wildly.

I would say we have this issue. Language barrier is a huge impediment as is the education system from some of these Countries, it varies wildly.
Language is not a barrier when everyone in the industry is speaking the same language, although it's not English. Funny enough all the fast food places here were Tagolog and now it's all Indian, that shift has happened just in the last 5 years.

Rightly or wrongly, I can think of the following reasons:
  • Travelling away from home, sometimes for long periods of time (like long-haul trucking)
  • Physical requirement, which may limit some folks. Even if they could physically do it, some women (and men, for that matter) don't think they can handle it
  • Working outside in crappy weather (heat, sun, rain, sleet, snow, etc)
  • Little exposure to the job. Sure, people see trains all the time, but how many people seriously look up being a train conductor after the age of...7?
Remember that most of us here are, or were, in the military and being away from home, moving around, etc is old hat to us. Some of my friends from back home still don't understand why we would move away from our home towns/cities and families.

Yeah, that tracks. Was he already in the Fed Public Service as something else and transferred? I think the hard part is getting in the door.
He wasn’t. He works at a bar on the weekends, and can’t remember what he was doing during the week - but working for the federal public service is something new to him.

If I recall correctly he called a number for an ad he came across while job hunting.

On the west coast people go to the gym for no other reason than to get glamor muscles to look good.
View attachment 75870
You mean “Sun’s Out, Guns Out” means something different in the Army? 🤨

Will there be a need to buy new tankers for the F35 needs?
Are there any plans to station any of them in Yellowknife or elsewhere in the North in the future?

Back