• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The RCAF's Next Generation Fighter (CF-188 Replacement)

Another F-35 training site for foreign pilots is opening

The international students will absolutely love going from Phoenix to “the 3rd largest city in Arkansas”.

Episode 5 Wind GIF by The Simpsons

Right?!

Fort Smith has a pop. of about 90k ..... that seems like a good spot to be, especially in the US of A.

Until the RCAF solves the problem of Cold Lake and Baggotville, there will always be a shortage of fighter pilots. One is a remote shit hole, the other might as well be in a different country with language requirements. Both are not spouse friendly locations.

Until the RCAF solves the problem of Cold Lake and Baggotville, there will always be a shortage of fighter pilots. One is a remote shit hole, the other might as well be in a different country with language requirements. Both are not spouse friendly locations.

I dream of the super base. Turn Cold Lake and Baggotville into remote training bases, just like Goose. Move all the fighters to Mirabel. Dets as needed for training and ops. Maybe leave the OTU and FLIT in Cold Lake. Mirabel could be the fighter equivalent of what Trenton is for transport.

But I guess now that we're pouring billions in infrastructure into Cold Lake and Bagotville, this ship has sailed.

True. Expecting highly skilled people to stay in those places forever is stupid because they won't. Short term, sure.

If they moved to Edmonton and Montreal, you probably couldn't beat the pilots away with an ugly stick, which would be a better problem to have.

I dream of the super base. Turn Cold Lake and Baggotville into remote training bases, just like Goose. Move all the fighters to Mirabel. Dets as needed for training and ops. Maybe leave the OTU and FLIT in Cold Lake. Mirabel could be the fighter equivalent of what Trenton is for transport.

But I guess now that we're pouring billions in infrastructure into Cold Lake and Bagotville, this ship has sailed.
you keep coming back to MX. Find a place that doesn't involve La Belle Province. It may be the politically favourite location but it isn't the place of choice for most of your working stiffs or their spouses.

you keep coming back to MX. Find a place that doesn't involve La Belle Province. It may be the politically favourite location but it isn't the place of choice for most of your working stiffs or their spouses.
Less politics than the reality that our entire deep maintenance organization for all our fighters are at Mirabel. You'll notice that I've never suggested Mirabel for any other fleet.

Also, no big deal for those who wouldn't want to serve there. Post them to another base/fleet. There's nothing that says you have to get your preferred job in your preferred province or city.

Less politics than the reality that our entire deep maintenance organization for all our fighters are at Mirabel.
The ‘reality’ is that the fleet is depot level maintained by a defence contractor that pays its employees a metric boatload of money more than CAF members, so they happen to work there because that’s where they make the big bucks.

The ‘reality’ is that the fleet is depot level maintained by a defence contractor that pays its employees a metric boatload of money more than CAF members, so they happen to work there because that’s where they make the big bucks.
It's more than the talent. There's infrastructure and entire supply chains that enable third line and depot level work at Mirabel. Kinda difficult to move that elsewhere. And it's also where our F-35 support is going.

Kinda difficult to move that elsewhere.
I know you know it’s not as difficult as you are portraying it in that sentence.

The USAF has deployable maint cap that to Canada’s scale, appears as third-line depot level capability…and it deploys globally. Updating the spare parts courier destination is not a real stretch with todays global supply chain technology.

I’m actually neutral on Mirabel, neither for, nor against. To be honest, my biggest beef with it at the moment (somewhat dated) is the lack of decent poutine anywhere in its property for itinerant aircraft. 😉

Back