• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Shaving Superthread- All You Want and More....

shaun_bougie

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I‘ve been searching the forums for a topic about shaving and can‘t seem to find anything. Maybe I‘m not looking in the right places but anyway. Hopefully someone can help me with this. I know shaving is required every day at basic. Problem is I get razor burn no matter what I try. Now my question is, how close of a shave do they expect at basic? Do they want the "I‘m going on a hot date tonight" shaving up against the grain for a really tight shave, or is the shaving down and it‘s going to grow back by the end of the day fine? I don‘t get burned as bad when I shave down as I do when I shave up. Hopefully someone can help.

Thanks a bunch. :cdn:

Grow back by the end of the day was always fine in my day and I‘m the same as you, I could never shave up as I‘d be one big blister.
CHEERS

Maybe your razor is dull?

Are you using a disposable razor or a real one(non-disposable)

How close you need to shave could be just a matter of how much of a stickler your instructors are during inspections. Also keep in mind that shaving during basic isn‘t done at a remotely leisurely pace, as you are in a rush to get outside for morning PT.

If the razor burn is severe enough (a medical condition?), then you can possibly get a chit that states you do not have to shave at all. My section commander told me I have this option, becase of a skin medication I am taking, resulting in some nasty burns/cuts sometimes, but I can stick it out :)

Thanks guys. I‘m using Mach 3 Turbo and they‘re not dull at all. I change blades every second or third shave. I was prescribed some meds for razor burn but I‘m not up for getting a chit not to shave. It‘s bad but I‘m the same way. I can tough it out.

You haven‘t shaved till you shave in a tent at 0-dark stupid in February with a temp colder than -30 outside, when your razor is frozen (and shaving cream is broken) and all you‘ve got is some melted snow-water to damp your face... :D

Well I‘d say something here about having to shave in -40....except I decided not to do it. There‘s a fine line between hard and stupid. Shaving on winter ex‘s is pointless.

erhm... get one of those quiet electric ones.. godsend in the field. A single charge should last 2 weeks or more.

Well I‘d say something here about having to shave in -40....except I decided not to do it. There‘s a fine line between hard and stupid. Shaving on winter ex‘s is pointless
Oh I agree, but when the CO orders it... something about keeping hygiene in the field for simulating longer periods of time in winter conditions.

Us northerners are made of stronger stuff, up here in igloos eh? :D

Glad I start basic May 11th. Won‘t have to worry about dry shaving in the field right now :)

Originally posted by Kirkpatrick:
[qb]
Well I‘d say something here about having to shave in -40....except I decided not to do it. There‘s a fine line between hard and stupid. Shaving on winter ex‘s is pointless
Oh I agree, but when the CO orders it... something about keeping hygiene in the field for simulating longer periods of time in winter conditions.

Us northerners are made of stronger stuff, up here in igloos eh? :D [/qb]
Yeah? we were ordered not too since it‘s easier to get frostbite on a freshly and close shaven face

hmmm, well the winter warfare pam dictates that for winter condition hygiene, you need to shave every day, preferably at night just before turning in, and keep moustaches short because they mask the presence of frostbite (not prevent it).

I saw this stuff on the  PPCLI Kitshop site.  Somersets shaving oil.  It says one bottle does 90 shaves.

Anyone used it?  Does it do what they say it does? ???

http://kitshop.ppcli.com/product_info.php?products_id=204&osCsid=8aff1baa98361b9970469dcb608194b8

It's fantastic stuff, I've used it for years.  You can find it at most Shoppers Drug Marts, and there is a similar product called Cromwell & Cruthers that's just as good.  You still need water to shave, but just enough to wet your face a little and to rinse your razor - cold water even works fine.

Be aware that this oil is made of nut oils though, as such, if you're going to be around anyone with allergies, don't use it.

How does such a little bottle last 90 shaves?  Do you put the oil all over your face or just put it on the razor blades?  The second option seems to make more sense.

I use the Cromwell and Cruthers stuff... instructions are to wet face, apply 5 drops oil to one hand, rub hands together, then rub hands over face. I have a fairly large head/face 5 drops is usually plenty, maybe 6 for good measure, but that's it.

It's great stuff provided you're shaving every day, not very good for heavy growth.

Also has a downside in the winter, if you're wetting your face, it means you're handling extra water inside the tent, extra chance of spilling somthing or dripping on somthing, though I usually use the stuff anyway, just be careful.

Other then Shoppers Drug Mart, and online, anywhere else we can get it?

The nearest Shopper's for me is in Ottawa.

Back