• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Shaving Superthread- All You Want and More....

CDN Aviator said:
These days, the only thing i would like to see transplanted in many recruit's heads is a brain. I would settle for just that.

They don't come out of recruit school ready to command the CF.  I am sure many old timers said similar things about us.

Maaaybe instead of having big fishbowls of free condoms at the MIR they could put packages of free Mach3 Razors?

ObedientiaZelum said:
But for razors, maaaaybe instead of having big fishbowls of free condoms at the MIR they could put packages of free Mach3 Razors?

It is hard to have a water fight with a Mach 3 razor.  >:D

Plus for those who prefer not to get out of the fart sack in the arctic to take a pee, a Mach 3 razor just doesn't serve the same purpose.

>:D >:D

ObedientiaZelum said:
But for razors, maaaaybe instead of having big fishbowls of free condoms at the MIR they could put packages of free Mach3 Razors?

Think the condoms would be easier to explain to the tax payers and the Globe and Mail...especially since they're cheaper and have lots of other functions, some of which have been noted earlier.  Besides, not everyone likes Mach 3's  ;D. 

MM

medicineman said:
Think the condoms would be easier to explain to the tax payers and the Globe and Mail...especially since they're cheaper and have lots of other functions, some of which have been noted earlier.  Besides, not everyone likes Mach 3's  ;D. 

MM

Are guys still telling their wives that the condoms in their gear is to put over their rifle barrel when it rains?  ;D

Oh, shaving for me is a utter nightmare XD Razor burn, bloody irritation, Gillette razors lying! They don't prevent irritation!!! Haha.

Anyone fancy sharing some tips? For a good ol' shave. I need some experienced members of the shaving family :) I am sick to death of that 'sunburn' feeling on my poor little face. 

Metsuke said:
Oh, shaving for me is a utter nightmare XD Razor burn, bloody irritation, Gillette razors lying! They don't prevent irritation!!! Haha.

Anyone fancy sharing some tips? For a good ol' shave. I need some experienced members of the shaving family :) I am sick to death of that 'sunburn' feeling on my poor little face.

Unfortunately I will be of no help, every time I shave even with a new blade I tend to get nasty razor burn... I think there was one time when I used Conditioner as shaving gel/cream and it worked well.

Oh, its a nasty curse eh?? Im half a mind to let her' grow, but it gets to that stage where its so itchy, either I pull through and look a fool, with my blonde/brown hair, with a red beard.. As I also suffer from Red beard syndrome. I shall try conditioner :) I have also tried baby lotion.. Works alright, but clogs the blade up something chronic.

Well I tend to only shave when it gets out of control, but since my aptitude test I try to shave as frequently as I can, that way when I do get my medical and interview scheduled at least I wont look the a homeless person haha.

There is already a magnificent thread on how to decorticate ones physiognomy.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=shaving+army.ca

You're welcome. Try searching next time.

---Staff---

Hamish Seggie said:
Some of what you speak of is self inflicted. Beards are a risk when doing CBRN tasks. Sliders I can't speak to but other RCN pers told me it was an Admiral's direction.
We're run by a bureaucracy IMO

Except that there is no requirement to be clean shaven for CBRN training, but there is for live fire-fighting training.  I've had to shave several times for fire-fighting, but never for CBRN.  Never had an issue doing push-ups, jumping-jacks or running around in the gas hut.

Pusser said:
Except that there is no requirement to be clean shaven for CBRN training, but there is for live fire-fighting training.  I've had to shave several times for fire-fighting, but never for CBRN.  Never had an issue doing push-ups, jumping-jacks or running around in the gas hut.
It's been a while since you visited the DC school then.  All students must be clean shaven for training.  CBRN included.

jollyjacktar said:
It's been a while since you visited the DC school then.  All students must be clean shaven for training.  CBRN included.

Just went through CBRN training a year ago in Ottawa.  They had no issue with my beard.

Pusser said:
Just went through CBRN training a year ago in Ottawa.  They had no issue with my beard.
If you are required to attend training at the DC Div in Halifax down the road, be prepared to shave.  The only execption is Fall Arrest training, which doesn't require the wearing of a respirator or Dragger mask.  I expect Esquimault has the same policy as they are lead coast.

The current issue CAF gas mask was built and designed in an era when we had Pioneers and Sailors who all sported beards.  I have a beard, and have never had an issue in the gas hut and I even challenged the fire fighters on my last ship, HMCS Toronto, to test the fit test while I sported a beard, low and behold I passed the fit test without issue and well with in specifications. 

As for DC Div in Halifax, well if ever go there again I will do what is required to pass no matter how unfounded I personally believe it is.

That's weird.  We were having issues with beards and fit tests at the fire hall.  I was also in Pioneers and was told that if ever deployed in a CRBN area we would be clean shaven.

Sheep Dog AT said:
That's weird.  We were having issues with beards and fit tests at the fire hall.  I was also in Pioneers and was told that if ever deployed in a CRBN area we would be clean shaven.

I keep my beard short and tidy.  The Snr FF on Toronto was very supset that I passed.  He was almost angry.  But I think that's more because he personally didn't like them.

I was actually told that the current issue GM was made with the beards of Pioneers and Sailors in mind and designed to accommodate them.

I don't have anything to back that in way of reference just something I told.  I would be interested in reading anything on the subject though.

Halifax Tar said:
The current issue CAF gas mask was built and designed in an era when we had Pioneers and Sailors who all sported beards.  I have a beard, and have never had an issue in the gas hut and I even challenged the fire fighters on my last ship, HMCS Toronto, to test the fit test while I sported a beard, low and behold I passed the fit test without issue and well with in specifications. 

As for DC Div in Halifax, well if ever go there again I will do what is required to pass no matter how unfounded I personally believe it is.

You and Pusser may be able get a seal with confidence, but that doesn't mean the next guy will be able to do so.  I expect they want to work to the lowest denominator of not being able to get a seal.  And while the C4 mask may have been designed with Pioneers and Hairybags in mind, the Dragger was not.  Again, lowest denominator.  I expect that will be the driving factor behind that decision on protocol.

Back