• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Shaving Superthread- All You Want and More....

Pusser said:
Do they have zippers on the cuffs now?
Not sure of what cuff you mean, trouser or shirt or jacket.  In short.  No.  Trouser, no change on cuff.  Shirt, button on cuff.  Jacket, velcro on cuff.  Zippers are on the trouser fly and on jacket front as before.

Now if you are suggesting perhaps a way of shrinking the cuff of the trouser as say the FF coverall or even the poopie suit ?  Again, no.  Not sure how they could/would make that happen and not be expensive or look strange.  But it would do the same as tucking the trouser cuff into the sock for minimizing flame travel up underneath the trouser leg, a good idea from that POV.  (Of course you realize that you've just had a moment of independant thought there!  ;D  That sort of thing will have to be crushed with vigor.)  What shot down the old way was the Dino's at ST coming to the understanding (after much prodding and convincing) that grey wool socks do not afford the same FR as the Nomex that was tucked into them and ergo it was a bloody stupid thing to insist upon just because Noah started the trend.

Cui said:
Women with hairy legs and pits, I think you just scarred me for life.
What???

it's all very natural...
And I believe that you are not a real man until you have fought your way through some real think bush.
:camo:

PanaEng said:
What???

it's all very natural...
And I believe that you are not a real man until you have fought your way through some real think bush.
:camo:

You single??  :-*

;)

Jim Seggie said:
A PPCLI Tshirt renders the wearer invulnerable and impervious to all manner of nasty things, including assaults by RCN pers.  ;)

But what if you're RCN and entitled to wear a PPCLI Tshirt?

ModlrMike said:
But what if you're RCN and entitled to wear a PPCLI Tshirt?
There's a joke in there, somewhere, citing the CF Transgender policy........  :whistle:

Does any one have a reference for daily shaving?  I have looked in the Dress and Deportment Manual (A-DH-265-000/AG-001).  It has everything but shaving in it.  QR&O 17.02 also has nothing on shaving requirements.

Thank You

- mod edit for spelling -

I don't have the references, but pretty simply, shave every 24 hours (either before bed, or first thing in the morning), unless you have a shaving chit.  Rules may be relaxed in the field.

If you don't shave you grow a beard.  Unless authoized you cannot have a beard (this is in the dress manual).  Ergo you must shave often enough that you do not have a beard.  Following this you (or your leaders) have to exercise judgement.  I have a significant shadow come 4 pm.  I do not shave before going home, however if I have to come into work at, say 2359, and the last time I shaved was at 0600, I would shave.  If you do not grow a beard (or any sort) then you would not have to shave.

If you look in the 265, IIRC, at the beginning about what a serviceperson should look like and how they should behave, it's there.  You actually have to read it though - words to the effect that "soldiers/sailors/air people are to be clean shaven, have neatly trimmed hair IAW with specifications, no visible piercings other than those prescribed in the regulations..." etc.

Barring that, if you were told to shave on a daily basis or a Base Standing Order says you must be clean shaven to wander into your eating mess, etc, well you were told.

MM

I have to agree with the OP, the QR & Os are pretty vague;

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/qro-orf/vol-01/chapter-chapitre-017-eng.asp#cha-017-02

However MM is correct in that in CFP 265, it states the following;

(3) Beards (see Figure 2-2-2)
(a) Subject to procedures established
by commanders of commands,
permission to wear a beard shall
only be granted to all ranks who
wear the naval uniform, wherever
serving; all ranks on strength of an
infantry pioneer platoon; adherents
of the Sikh religion (see Section 3);
and personnel, on the direction of a
medical officer, subject to medical
reassessment at intervals not
exceeding six months. Other
personnel shall shave off their
beards.

http://cs.uwindsor.ca/~fitzpatr/A-DH-265-000.pdf

Among the most stupid existing regulations.  Either beards are safe and can be worn, or are unsafe and cannot be worn.  This is ripe for appeal to bodies outside the military, who will overturn these archaic, foolish regulations.

Perhaps at the same time someone will explain how subdued earrings on women are safe, yet on men represent a threat to the security of the nation.

Dress regs are long overdue for an update to a more unisex model.

dapaterson said:
Among the most stupid existing regulations.  Either beards are safe and can be worn, or are unsafe and cannot be worn.  This is ripe for appeal to bodies outside the military, who will overturn these archaic, foolish regulations.

Perhaps at the same time someone will explain how subdued earrings on women are safe, yet on men represent a threat to the security of the nation.

Dress regs are long overdue for an update to a more unisex model.

Good post I've been saying this for years. Times change why can't we? Every one keeps talking about equality, racism and sexism and we have been sharpend, diversified, and harassed to death about harassment yet it means nothing unless all rules apply equally to every one. Why can't every one that wants to grow a beard or Goatee grow one if it doesn't interfear with their job. If I want to grow long side burns then why not? If i want to grow my hair and put it in a pony tail, bun, or baraids then why not? (okay maybe not a bun)  As soon as some one puts a "except for" clause in then it is a useless rule.

Was there ever an allowance for shaving, haircuts, etc.? I seen to have heard of such and it was merged into the salary.

ME

Sigs Pig said:
Was there ever an allowance for shaving, haircuts, etc.? I seen to have heard of such and it was merged into the salary.

ME

For your shaving and haircuts, etc, it was/is your paycheque.  For uniforms, before the points and stuff came in, it was the Clothing Upkeep Allowance.

MM

dapaterson said:
...Either beards are safe and can be worn, or are unsafe and cannot be worn...

One of the things I had been previously told was that beards interfered with the seal a gas mask would create, which I can understand.

Not going anywhere with this, just making an observation.

medicineman said:
For your shaving and haircuts, etc, it was/is your paycheque.  For uniforms, before the points and stuff came in, it was the Clothing Upkeep Allowance.

MM

I do miss those days. But we can't change the subject here.

Regards,
Macey

In ref to beards in gas masks. I have seen member with beards have a perfect seal while wearing the gas mask with the addition of Vaseline. Though after putting the Vaseline into their beard they chose to shave, because of less hassle.

If you wear respiratory protective equipment for your job and you wear a beard you are an idiot, full stop. I know that some people can achieve a clean seal with bear grease, vaseline, pipe dope, but that really has nothing to do with the fact that the best seal is achieved where no facial hair interferes with the seal.

Not to mention, that in an emergency when time is vital to your existence, trying to slather on vaseline, hoping to achieve a seal is just stupid. :facepalm:

Back