• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The stuff the Army issues is Excellent!

ArmyVern said:
.....................- you wouldn't believe the numbers of troops now who come in to ask for new issues of cadpat and when asked where their stuff to exchange is say "I threw it in the garbage" ... it's absolutely amazing how thick in the skull some troops are. You may not be one of them ... but I can only imagine how many would come out of the woodwork that I've yet to meet should their cadpat get delivered to their door - there's a whole bunch of them who really would take that as a signal to chuck out all their other stuff. Sure, we could track them down looking for it, but if they've already tossed it, donated it (yep - we've had them do that too  ::)) or given it away -- it's a little too late to be tracking them down - the stuff is already gone out where it shouldn't be.

I take it, you now have a three foot high stack of Loss/Damage Reports on your desk ready to hand out to these numties so that they can go back to their Chain of Command and fill them out.  Always interesting when that document hits the CO's desk and the statement of the individual states that (s)he threw the item in the garbage or traded it for MARPAT or something else.

ArmyVern said:
As for the Army tracking you down - you wouldn't believe the numbers of troops now who come in to ask for new issues of cadpat and when asked where their stuff to exchange is say "I threw it in the garbage" ...
I wonder how much of that actually was thrown into the trash ....

http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/16339.0.html

MCG said:
I wonder how much of that actually was thrown into the trash ....

http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/16339.0.html

Of that - we agree.

It's their official paperwork though, and they sign their name to it ... and belive you me - it's not been pretty the couple times I've nailed those who choose to lie on it and get caught.

George Wallace said:
I take it, you now have a three foot high stack of Loss/Damage Reports on your desk ready to hand out to these numties so that they can go back to their Chain of Command and fill them out.  Always interesting when that document hits the CO's desk and the statement of the individual states that (s)he threw the item in the garbage or traded it for MARPAT or something else.

We probably do 50 MLRs a week here already without adding "home delivered & then old-stuff-tossed cadpat into the mix with them; I have a staff dedicated to them (just actioning MLRs) fulltime.  :mad:

ArmyVern said:
We probably do 50 MLRs a week here already without adding "home delivered & then old-stuff-tossed cadpat into the mix with them; I have a staff dedicated to them (just actioning MLRs) fulltime.  :mad:
We had a troop try to exchange a pair of MkIIIs with the holes punched in the tongue. The clothing stores Sgt gave us his name and we "counselled" him......and informed the other troops that this kind of sh!t is not on.

The sleeping bag/system.

Probably the best issued system in any army's inventory when first issued. Still not bad in comparison with other options out there, especially for ECW use. I mean, the Norwegian army used to use Kapok filled bags (very brrrrr) when we had down and feather awesomeness, no kidding.

Dropzone synthetic sleeping bags on issue for we taller fellows. Awesome.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Canada! (Where's that storman?.. c'mon over here little guy and let me give you a big hug)

daftandbarmy said:
The sleeping bag/system.

Probably the best issued system in any army's inventory when first issued. Still not bad in comparison with other options out there, especially for ECW use. I mean, the Norwegian army used to use Kapok filled bags (very brrrrr) when we had down and feather awesomeness, no kidding.

I'll vouch for that. Issued sleeping bags are the cats ass if taken care of properly.

Big fan of the smallpack, though I wish it came with Molle webbing vs. Daisy Chain.

And as a Coyote Gib/Driver, I actually don't mind the boots, though some days I wish I had a set of steel toes for working in the hangar.

Class 'C' stores. What other army in the world gives away so much useful stuff?

Not trying to brag here, but I recently tried to summit Mt Rainier in Washington State (14,000ft - ish). The vertical from the parking lot is 8,000ft. Loads carried ran up to 60lbs. Conditions were arctic-like, with high winds, whiteouts and heavy snow ( which explains why we turned around at 13,000ft -ish on Day 3). I'd estimate that the temps were in the region of minus 20 with the windchill. All in all, a wonderful way to spend a Victoria Day LWE I would say! Attached photo is at 'high camp' at 11,500ft during one of the frequent blizzards. Nice.

Socks are important on a hike like this, for obvious reasons. I chose to go with the 'black and green' sock system, with a heavy Smart Wool sock over top for extra warmth. I didn't have a chance to take them off or change them for 3 days. I wore a pair of Scarpa Inverno plastic double boots. Nice boots for this kind of stuff by the way.

The results? Excellent. No blisters. No cold. No smell. No prisoners. Well done CTS!

Wow!  Good for you!  Although, why anyone does that for "fun" is beyond me.....  ;)

Recently? As in when?  I think I have a buddy that hit that not too long ago or could it be Mt Shasta?  Same area, right?

Bzzliteyr said:
Recently? As in when?  I think I have a buddy that hit that not too long ago or could it be Mt Shasta?  Same area, right?

May 24-27th. Shasta's in California, but is one of the Cascade volcanoes so is on my hit list too. "Visit the Cascade Volcanoes before they visit you"!

daftandbarmy said:
May 24-27th. Shasta's in California, but is one of the Cascade volcanoes so is on my hit list too. "Visit the Cascade Volcanoes before they visit you"!

Too late.  We got covered by ash from Mount St. Helens in Chatham, NB in 1980.  ;)

PMedMoe said:
Too late.  We got covered by ash from Mount St. Helens in Chatham, NB in 1980.  ;)

And when I was at 13,000ft (briefly) I smelled the sulphur from the active vents up there through the blizzrd thinkihng at the time, of course, that the guy ahead of me on the rope had let a good SBD fly!

PMedMoe said:

[thread derail] Hey Moe some of us were a lot closer to it when Mount St. Helens blew in 1980  8) [/thread derail]

Danjanou said:
[thread derail] Hey Moe some of us were a lot closer to it when Mount St. Helens blew in 1980  8) [/thread derail]

And some of us were still in junior high.  ;)

PMedMoe said:
And some of us were still in junior high.  ;)
There she goes, bragging about her education again  ::)

[...continued derail]

Back