• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Threat of Modern Piracy- A Merged Thread

1.jpg

Indian navy photo showing alleged pirate "mother ship" exploding off the coast of Somalia

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7749486.stm

Oopss...  :o

Good ridance but how many more are out there...

My question would be where do they hide those mothership so that our navys out there have such a hard time finding them?

OldSolduer said:
Yeeeeeehaaaaaa!!!

Did you even read the previous posts? It's good the pirates were killed, but remember that the "mother ship" was really a Thai trawler that was in the process of being taken by the pirates when the Indians showed up. It is unfortunate that the Thai-Cambodian crew of the trawler were also mostly killed when the Indians opened fire on the captured trawler, save for one Cambodian crewman who was picked up about six days later by another ship IIRC.

I jumped to the end of this thread without reading that someone already had explained it wasn't a pirate mother ship.

Edited.

CougarDaddy said:
Did you even read the previous posts? It's good the pirates were killed, but remember that the "mother ship" was really a Thai trawler that was in the process of being taken by the pirates when the Indians showed up. It is unfortunate that the Thai-Cambodian crew of the trawler were also mostly killed when the Indians opened fire on the captured trawler, save for one Cambodian crewman who was picked up about six days later by another ship IIRC.

Yeah ! loosen up, so haven't you heard of collateral damage and in our business friendly fire unfortunately its a gimme but it happens.

FastEddy said:

Yeah ! loosen up, so haven't you heard of collateral damage and in our business friendly fire unfortunately its a gimme but it happens.

You're being sarcastic right?

TheHead said:
You're being sarcastic right?

Of course not, its a fact of life and part of the risks and dangers our Service Personnel face each and every day.

FastEddy said:

Of course not, its a fact of life and part of the risks and dangers our Service Personnel face each and every day.

Collateral damage involving civilians is nothing to be cheering about.  Part of my job over in Afghanistan was pumping 25mm rounds into houses with Taliban in it. I've also had Fast Air drop bombs on them right in front of me. It was amazing to look at and very exciting but if I had EVER known a civilian one was in there I would NEVER cheer for about that. 

Also obviously I wasn't there so I can't judge the Indian army on it, maybe it was necessary to sink the ship I gotta stay in my lanes right? 

TheHead said:
      Also obviously I wasn't there so I can't judge the Indian army on it, maybe it was necessary to sink the ship I gotta stay in my lanes right? 

Neither was the Indian "army".    ;D

TheHead said:
      Collateral damage involving civilians is nothing to be cheering about.     

I don.t think or got the impression that "OldSoldier" was cheering about the Thia Civilians who got caught in the cross fire.

And by the way, maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't it the Indian Navy, lets be fair and give credit where credit is due.

FastEddy said:

I don.t think or got the impression that "OldSoldier" was cheering about the Thia Civilians who got caught in the cross fire.

And by the way, maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't it the Indian Navy, lets be fair and give credit where credit is due.

I did not say that at all and neither did he. OldsSoldier would NEVER say that. 

Also it was the Indian Army Navy

The Indian navy has defended its action in sinking a ship near Somalia that maritime officials have confirmed was a hijacked Thai fishing boat.

Hindsight is 20/20.....at the time, receiving fire, the ship meeting the description of the Mother ship, I would suggest most Navies would have responded the same...

GAP said:
Hindsight is 20/20.....at the time, receiving fire, the ship meeting the description of the Mother ship, I would suggest most Navies would have responded the same...

Most Navies are like Combat Arms Soldiers.  They do extensive AFV Recognition of Naval Craft and Aircraft.  I am sure that the ship was "Identified".

Have you never cheered when you see a huge explosion? When did we become so PC that we cannot express excitement?
As for Thai fishermen who may have been aboard that vessel, their loss is tragic, HOWEVER who is to blame for their deaths? I say the pirates who took that ship are to blame, NOT the Indian Navy.

Somali pirates hijack ship, British guards escape
KATHARINE HOURELD Associated Press November 28, 2008 at 5:48 AM EST
Article Link

NAIROBI, Kenya — Somali pirates hijacked a chemical tanker with dozens of Indian crew members on board Friday, and three British security guards were rescued by helicopter after jumping into the sea, officials said.

A warship on patrol nearby had sent helicopters to intervene in the attack, but they arrived after pirates had taken control of the Liberian-flagged ship, diplomatic officials said on condition of anonymity, as they were not authorized to speak with media.

Still on board were 25 Indian and two Bangladeshi crew members, after the British security guards escaped by jumping into the water, the diplomats said.

It was the 97th vessel to be attacked this year off Somalia, where an Islamic insurgency and lack of effective government have helped facilitate an increase in pirate attacks in the Gulf of Aden.
More on link

Back