• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Threat of Modern Piracy- A Merged Thread

I'm certainly not familiar with maritime law but I have to believe that becoming an armed merchant ship under the control of no state has to have implications. This doesn't even consider factors such as training, authority (they're still a 'fishing vessel' until they aren't) and handling storage at port (if you would even be allowed into some ports). Admittedly, the latest Houthi tactics are at a new level. Can't they water cannon a helicopter into sea?
Many merchant vessels have security teams on them now.

Weapons aren’t generally an issue, when it comes to small arms, and they can be locked away with a customs seal in ports that don’t allow them.

However when talking about missiles, grenades and heavier weapons than a GPMG, very few countries will authorize companies to have them, or even if they will, will not allow the temp export for usage on a vessel. I know of one company that has GAU-19’s and some Mk19’s but they couldn’t get anything larger. But most companies seem to prefer non lethal like LRAD’s and Water Cannons. That way if you are boarded it doesn’t become a no quarter given sort of thing.

Depending where you are going, even 40mm HV and .50 won’t be enough stand-off to do much and you will have just bitten off more than you can chew.

Now the question about UAS usage hasn’t been answered yet AFAIK, I suspect that some enterprising security firm will start that soon, and what some nations will accept from those remains to be seen.

Many merchant vessels have security teams on them now.

Weapons aren’t generally an issue, when it comes to small arms, and they can be locked away with a customs seal in ports that don’t allow them.

However when talking about missiles, grenades and heavier weapons than a GPMG, very few countries will authorize companies to have them, or even if they will, will not allow the temp export for usage on a vessel. I know of one company that has GAU-19’s and some Mk19’s but they couldn’t get anything larger. But most companies seem to prefer non lethal like LRAD’s and Water Cannons. That way if you are boarded it doesn’t become a no quarter given sort of thing.

Depending where you are going, even 40mm HV and .50 won’t be enough stand-off to do much and you will have just bitten off more than you can chew.

Now the question about UAS usage hasn’t been answered yet AFAIK, I suspect that some enterprising security firm will start that soon, and what some nations will accept from those remains to be seen.
I'm half expecting anti pirate mercenary ships at some point with heavier weapons vice riders or merchant ships; not really sure the legalities of it but probably not really a big concern in areas where pirates are operating. I'm guessing getting paid for the security bit would probably be the hardest part, but I don't too many people would feel bad about pirates being blown up by a drone or something by a private security firm.

If you’d only taken the opportunity to listen and learn during those weird traffic stops..
Well, I did operate a boat for two summers, as well as a stint at the '76 Olympics. No pirates, though.

I would be careful about the threats you make
Dem dere sound like fighting words.

I don't think they should compare to Viet Nam or Afghanistan which were both occupational and largely tied the military hands and I don't see the US having a taste for at this time. I would think more of they steamroll in, destroy the military they are targeting and then leave them to fight amongst themself over the remaining scraps.

I don't think they should compare to Viet Nam or Afghanistan which were both occupational and largely tied the military hands and I don't see the US having a taste for at this time. I would think more of they steamroll in, destroy the military they are targeting and then leave them to fight amongst themself over the remaining scraps.
I fully agree, I doubt they even set foot in the country and rely on airpower to suppress threats to shipping.

The problem is more than that. Sure you can lay waste to them, but that is a minor piece.

Iran is their benefactor, so all you are doing is buying a few months, and maybe only weeks till the next group of Houthi decide to follow in footsteps of the deceased.

Then what is Iran also doing…

The issue is that Iran doesn’t consider themselves to be a target — I wouldn’t recommend just striking the Houthi launch sites, but also Iranian missile and drone facilities — bomb them to glass, and send a very clear message.

Plus that will also decrease the attacks on Ukraine from the Iranian drones they sell to Russia.

You need to hit the Houthi first and hurt them and then quietly tell Iran that you will hit targets if they don't back down. Plus even if you buy a few months, that's the time Israel needs to smash Hamas. Once they are smashed, the focus will be on who gets to run Gaza and rebuild efforts. Once the bombs in Gaza stop, it will be hard to maintain the outrage, as support for Palestinian is wide but not deep.

Targeted assassination. The West has big pockets. Just strip away the political leadership until they get the point and shoot the mad dogs in their own yards.
But would that effectively dissuade the operators and trigger pullers behind attacks, or would it just piss them off and motivate them to honour and retaliate for the martyrdoms with more attacks? This is a region very accustomed to being the moles in whack-a-mole.

But would that effectively dissuade the operators and trigger pullers behind attacks, or would it just piss them off and motivate them to honour and retaliate for the martyrdoms with more attacks? This is a region very accustomed to being the moles in whack-a-mole.
Depends how high up you go.

Depends how high up you go.
You assume that organization matters.

When organization fails you are still left with billions of individuals.

Europeans, Turks and Arabs bought their navies on the open market for centuries. When they stopped buying those sailors continued operations without license and became famous as pirates.

You assume that organization matters.

When organization fails you are still left with billions of individuals.

Europeans, Turks and Arabs bought their navies on the open market for centuries. When they stopped buying those sailors continued operations without license and became famous as pirates.
I’m talking about removing the ability for them to get weapons…

Back