• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Tyisking/Ceaser Super thread of FAQ

Tyiskingg

Inactive
Reaction score
I recently applied for the reserves and I am 16 I was wondering  after I am finished high school can I join the reg force full time

Tyiskingg said:
I recently applied for the reserves and I am 16 I was wondering  after I am finished high school can I join the reg force full time

Who can apply:
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100#who

See also,

The age to join the reserves 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/118188.0

In my opinion you'd be better off skipping the reserves. Don't get me wrong, I'm a reservist, and I love it and would recommend it to anyone. However given how you want to go regforce directly after highschool I think it would make more sense to just apply to the reg force.

Its likely going to take 6months to a year for your application to get processed. Once your in the reserves it is going to take  1-2 years to be qualified, depending on your trade, your availability. Etc. Then you'll have to put in a component transfer, which isn't hard to do but it takes time. Likely somewhere in the ball park of 1-2 years but it could be longer than that.

Itd be faster just to apply straight for the reg force IMO.

I know there is no official answer but I wanted to know on average how long will it take if the occupation you applied for is hiring and doing direct entry.

Welcome to the “Ask a CAF Recruiter” section. The members tagged as “CAF Recruiter” are official Canadian Armed Forces recruiters. They will identify themselves with their rank, first name and the Forces.ca avatar. In order to best answer questions, there are some rules that need to be adhered to.

This section is for persons who have questions about joining the Canadian Armed Forces, occupations, different enrolment programs, and prerequisites. Much of the information can be found at Forces.ca, or the Recruiting FAQ and wiki section of this site. Before you ask a question, you should be searching the forum or the Forces.ca website for these answers.

We will not answer questions about technical difficulties with the application process, or the website. We will not answer questions about difficulties contacting your recruiting centre or general inquires with regards to your current application or file. These questions can be asked here: http://forces.ca/en/page/contactus-73

Tyiskingg said:
I know there is no official answer but I wanted to know on average how long will it take if the occupation you applied for is hiring and doing direct entry.

SELECTION PROCESS ESTIMATE
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/118428.0.html

See Reply #1 and #2.

runormal said:
In my opinion you'd be better off skipping the reserves. Don't get me wrong, I'm a reservist, and I love it and would recommend it to anyone. However given how you want to go regforce directly after highschool I think it would make more sense to just apply to the reg force.

Its likely going to take 6months to a year for your application to get processed. Once your in the reserves it is going to take  1-2 years to be qualified, depending on your trade, your availability. Etc. Then you'll have to put in a component transfer, which isn't hard to do but it takes time. Likely somewhere in the ball park of 1-2 years but it could be longer than that.

Itd be faster just to apply straight for the reg force IMO.

I have to disagree,
Let them Join the reserves, complete the Basic/QL3 in the reserves, graduate High school then go Reg.
Not to knock the reserves, but sometimes you get on courses faster etc.
For example I had an 18 year old on my PLQ, Reservist, just graduated High School, pretty switched on. He started going through the CT process about a month or two before the PLQ. He spent two months on the PLQ, and then was done the CT process two months after. 6 Months is not a long time if you can time it in properly. Hes now getting his leaf(or has) two years later, so a 22 Year old MCpl, yes he is a little wet behind the ears, but he has been successful in his career path thus far and is mature and responsible.
Have to Figure, he could fully retire early to mid 40s.

IF your the same way, it could be a good path for you.  OR being in the reserves could show you you dont want the military. ITs a good way to test the waters.

how would BMQ work if your still a student in highschool and you join the reserves is there an alternative option or would you do it during the summer time?

Tyiskingg said:
how would BMQ work if your still a student in highschool and you join the reserves is there an alternative option or would you do it during the summer time?

If you anticipate scheduling conflicts with a Summer BMQ, best to contact Recruiting and let them know when you may, or may not, be available for basic training.

These discussions are about Weekend Reserve BMQ, if that is what you are referring to as an "alternative option":

https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+acs&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=dEkcVeSKMomN8QeG6IFQ&gws_rd=ssl#rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&q=site:army.ca++weekend+BMQ

Tyiskingg said:

High schoolers are a large part of the recruiting base for the reserves. The BMQ course is often run on weekends to accomodate this. Most units will (often in conjunction with a few other nearby units) run BMQ courses over maybe 10 or so weekends. It's usually roughly two weekends a month.

BMQ is just the first course you need to get qualified. To be of any use you would be expected to be available for a couple months in the summer to get the rest of your basic training done.
The recruiter for whichever regiment you're applying for should have further info for you. Good luck!

I was looking around for the same thing, and I came across this:

"Got the call today. Accepted AERE. BMOQ starts Aug 26th.

Recruiting Centre: CFVRC
Local Recruiting Centre: Toronto RC
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: Officer (DEO)
Trade Choice 1: Aerospace Engineer
Trade Choice 2: Signals Officer
Trade Choice 3: EME
Online Application Date: April 7, 2013
Date Application sent to Toronto RC: June 14, 2013
Paperwork Submitted: June 20th, 2013
CFAT: June 25th, 2013
Interview: July 3rd, 2013
Medical: July 2nd, 2013
Merit Listed: July 21st, 2013
Position offered: Aug 6th, 2013
Swearing in: Aug 21st, 2013
Basic Training Begins: Aug 26th, 2013"

His process went through fairly faster than most I've seen around on the site.
From what I took in, it can range from a 6 months to 2 years for the whole application process to go through.
Currently I'm in my CFAT portion of the process for Reserves DEO, will update you if you'd like.

Recently I contacted the CFRC in London. I asked if they could provide me with an update on my application status. I was told that they are now waiting for HQ to determine whether I would be moving forward for medical and interview appointments.

From what I understand, my references have been contacted and my application is not missing any paperwork.

I understand that this is a lengthy process; just eager to hear something.

Would anyone be able to tell me if this is a positive thing? Is this a normal process? Is there a possibility that I could be in BMOQ before the next year?

(Wrote CFAT, and met requirements for Infantry, Armour and Artillery Officer in early March, 2015)

Thank you.

Good day Wincity,

Welcome to the “Ask a CAF Recruiter” section. The members tagged as “CAF Recruiter” are official Canadian Armed Forces recruiters. They will identify themselves with their rank, first name and the Forces.ca avatar. In order to best answer questions, there are some rules that need to be adhered to.

This section is for persons who have questions about joining the Canadian Armed Forces, occupations, different enrolment programs, and prerequisites. Much of the information can be found at Forces.ca, or the Recruiting FAQ and wiki section of this site. Before you ask a question, you should be searching the forum or the Forces.ca website for these answers.

We will not answer questions about technical difficulties with the application process, or the website. We will not answer questions about difficulties contacting your recruiting centre or general inquires with regards to your current application or file. These questions can be asked here: http://forces.ca/en/page/contactus-73

Wincity said:
Recently I contacted the CFRC in London. I asked if they could provide me with an update on my application status. I was told that they are now waiting for HQ to determine whether I would be moving forward for medical and interview appointments.
From what I understand, my references have been contacted and my application is not missing any paperwork.
I understand that this is a lengthy process; just eager to hear something.
Would anyone be able to tell me if this is a positive thing? Is this a normal process? Is there a possibility that I could be in BMOQ before the next year?
(Wrote CFAT, and met requirements for Infantry, Armour and Artillery Officer in early March, 2015)
Thank you.

This is part of the normal process, all you and your CFRC can do now, is wait.

Can I use my student ID card as a valid ID when applying to the forces I mean it has everything on it so I don't see why I couldn't

Because it's not issued by a provincial or federal government.

Damn alright well that suck because now I have to wait four to six weeks just to continue my application but thanks for info

Tyiskingg said:
Damn alright well that suck because now I have to wait four to six weeks just to continue my application but thanks for info

Birth Certificate+Pass port+Drivers license all worked for me..you should have at least two of those

So I'm going to be doing my CFAT in the next couple of weeks and I wanted to know if anyone can give me some tips on how I can study for this. Even though there are external links given to me I don't feel like it's enough and I wanted to know if someone could help me out and give me some pointers or things I should put my focus more on.  Also I feel that the test preps aren't even grade 10 level education and it's much more difficult then what I was taught in grade 10 anyone else feel the same way?

Back