• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The US Navy's Gerald R. Ford Class Aircraft Carriers (updates)"

I am surprised that the Raging Grannies haven't put in an appearance.
Perhaps since Russia invaded Ukraine, some anti-military folks are having a bit of a change of heart about this whole "get out of NATO" thing...

I made the mistake of digging into those twitter posts...

Tin Foil GIF

They deploy a floating dock off the stern. Very cool. It seems "docked" in Halifax is a bit of a misnomer.
They need special jetties so that's their SOP outside home port and a few bases set up for carriers. Insanely huge, but they are really good at setting up water taxis for shore leave and provisioning.

NOthing like standing on your mast and still being in the shadow of this massive hulk that you are looking up at (and forward and astern).

I worked with a guy who was deck crew on Bonaventure and he said something similar about being alongside - I think - Enterprise; standing on the flight deck and craning your neck to look at its.

I remember when I saw USS Nimitz came into the Strait of Juan de Fuca on its way to Esquimalt. At first I saw this island in the mist on the middle of the strait that I didn’t remember seeing before. Then the island kept getting bigger, and bigger…o_O

I had to google some information because I was curious

Air wing is almost as big as the entire RCAF

Crew over 3000, officers and sailors etc ( CFB Petawawa has just a few more troops est. 5328 officers and troops)

Stand the Ford up like a building it is 1016 feet tall, CN Tower is 1815 feet tall. just over half as long. 250 tall from the keel to the top mast. Could put almost 3 city class frigates inside the Ford if it was an empty box.
Speed the RCN Frigates could keep up if both ships were running full speed.

Wish I lived closer to Halifax, I would enjoy getting a view. Cannot imagine anything like it

I had to google some information because I was curious

Air wing is almost as big as the entire RCAF

Crew over 3000, officers and sailors etc ( CFB Petawawa has just a few more troops est. 5328 officers and troops)

Stand the Ford up like a building it is 1016 feet tall, CN Tower is 1815 feet tall. just over half as long. 250 tall from the keel to the top mast. Could put almost 3 city class frigates inside the Ford if it was an empty box.
Speed the RCN Frigates could keep up if both ships were running full speed.

Wish I lived closer to Halifax, I would enjoy getting a view. Cannot imagine anything like it
The 3000 or so are just the sailors, not the air wing. That’s another 2000 or so people - the Nimitz-class had between 5000-5200 crew including the air wing.

I recall a sailor tell me when the carrier went to flying stations our ships were left in the wake. Those things are freaking fast.
Fastest ships in the USN…
Now that the CGN’s are out of service.

Fastest ship in the USN…
A friend used to fly S-3 Vikings off the Nimitz and ‘Big Stick’ (Theodore Roosevelt) and said when they ‘hit the gas’ they could almost launch without the cat(apult).

A friend used to fly S-3 Vikings off the Nimitz and ‘Big Stick’ (Theodore Roosevelt) and said when they ‘hit the gas’ they could almost launch without the cat(apult).
I would guess about 40 knots - and for a ship THAT big......mind you the reactors give them that kind of power.

I saw USS Ronnie Reagan romp around the San Diego (FASFAC) op areas going….really fast.

Back