• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The US Presidency 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
>Unless something is vastly different in security procedures between us and the USA, that simple phrase "need to know" covers any such eventuality.

True; but a revoked clearance is a distinct signal that puts a definitive chill on things.

Remius said:
90 million does not seem that far off the mark once you factor in security related costs.

While they're thinking about that maybe they should pay up Palm Springs' overtime bill for $5.7 million for Trump's Mar-a-Lago security.

PALM BEACH —
Palm Beach County taxpayers fronted more than $5.7 million to help protect President Donald Trump during his 10 visits to Mar-a-Lago between November and April, figures provided Thursday show.

The federal government is expected to reimburse local governments for the expenses. A congressional budget agreement signed by Trump in March sets aside $41 million to repay local law enforcement agencies for “extraordinary … personnel costs” to protect the president when he visits his private residences in Palm Beach, New York and New Jersey.

A similar pot of federal money was used in 2017 to reimburse Palm Beach County taxpayers for $3.4 million in security costs incurred during the first three months of Trump’s presidency.

Most of the 2017-2018 law enforcement costs were racked up by the Palm Beach Sheriff’s Office, which takes the lead among local agencies in assisting the Secret Service during presidential visits. The agency spent $5.6 million on overtime during Trump’s 2017-18 trips, sheriff’s spokeswoman Teri Barbera said Thursday in response to a query from The Palm Beach Post.

Aside from the sheriff’s costs, the town of Palm Beach said in April that it spent $115,156 on police overtime during Trump’s 2017-18 visits and West Palm Beach said it spent $68,500.

Trump’s 10 trips to Mar-a-Lago covered at least a portion of 47 days and included Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter visits as well as an April summit with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

The sheriff’s presidential details are paid entirely with overtime so that routine law enforcement operations are not compromised, Sheriff Ric Bradshaw has said.

Bradshaw last month told the Palm Beach County School District that the commitment to protect the president is one of several reasons the sheriff’s office “CAN NOT provide a large number of deputies on an overtime basis” to help beef up school security.

Bradshaw also said regional anti-terrorism efforts, staffing large concerts and “numerous extra duty assignments” put a limit on available deputy overtime hours.

Rather than dip into overtime, Bradshaw offered to hire and provide 50 full-time deputies for school patrols for one year, for an estimated $7 million.

Trump personally thanked local law enforcement officers in April at the end of his last Mar-a-Lago visit for the 2017-18 season. The president greeted motorcycle officers and posed for pictures at Palm Beach International Airport before he boarded Air Force One.

“Thank you to the incredible Law Enforcement Officers from the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office. They keep us safe and are very cool about it!” Trump later tweeted along with a picture of himself surrounded by local officers.

https://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news/national-govt--politics/county-seeks-reimbursement-for-trump-mar-lago-security-bill/XTOrIYDQ1vpNFSpa1e13uK/

Security for these type of events is usually provided by officers working on overtime as the normal day to day policing functions still have to be performed.

I couldn't find a budget figure but this year's Bastille Day parade used some 17,000 police and emergency forces.

Bastille Day surrounded by RING OF STEEL: 17,000 police and soldiers patrol Paris parade
BASTILLE DAY parades will be protected by a ring of steel as French authorities impose unprecedented levels of security around Paris fearing the city could be the target of yet another terrorist attack.

By ROMINA MCGUINNESS PUBLISHED: 06:22, Sat, Jul 14, 2018

A total of 12,000 police officers and 3,000 rescue workers have been deployed to the capital’s streets and its suburbs for France’s national day today, which just two years ago brought terror on the streets of Nice when an ISIS jihadi ploughed a truck through crowds killing 86 people.

Another 2,000 counter-terrorism “Sentinelle” soldiers will also be on patrol around the Champs Elysées avenue during a major military parade to celebrate the day, Paris Police Chief Michel Delpuech said.

Some 2,900 police officers will be stationed on the Champs Elysées during the parade, he added.

The extra security comes after French football fans clashed with police in Paris after qualifying for the World Cup final on Tuesday.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/988481/bastille-day-paris-parade-nice-terror-attack-Champs-Elys-es

Note that for the World Cup, France deployed 110,000 security personnel.

For Trump's visit to the UK alone, the UK deployed an extra 4,000 officers with a budget of US$15.8 million for what was a fairly low-key, not very public affair.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/12/uk-spending-millions-on-security-for-trumps-controversial-visit.html

:cheers:

Brad Sallows said:
It has been established beyond doubt that the Obama administration knew about the (Russian) attempts but did not pursue the matter as aggressively as it might have.  Whether the directors' hands were tied in their respective areas of authority by the administration is almost beside the point; the customary principle is that if you can't get behind a policy, you should resign.  So presumably they "got behind" the policy.  Nevertheless, there was a failure on "their watch".

So now if Brennan is both intimately aware of the severity of the threat that he failed over and  categorically ignored by the present administration what are his options with regards to acting on this threat? Is acting on such a threat to national security truly just "an agenda"? He already acted in the interests of stability ("stood-down" to avoid "tipping the scales") under Obama. How long was he supposed to continue doing so if what he says is true?

If Brennan were objectively interested in thwarting Russian interference, his option would be to provide assistance to the current administration.  That is customarily done through established channels quietly, not by waging an information war in the media.

From his actions, I conclude Brennan is working to destabilize and hinder a legitimately elected president, not to buttress the institutions of democracy in the US.

People opposed to Trump pay lip service to the idea that Trump is undermining democratic institutions (almost never, it seems, citing a specific example).  A self-arrogated duty to hinder a presidential candidate or the president on the part of members of government agencies specifically undermines the ideal of the non-partisan public service.  As much as possible, conduits of information to the outside - journalists, political operatives, former government employees - should be severed and chilled.

People who aren't going to productively use a security clearance shouldn't have one.

Remius said:
There were 10 investigations including 6 republican led ones.  Which one exactly discovered a cover up?
[/]

https://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2015/10/23/gowdy-committee-verifies-timeline-of-hillary-clintons-benghazi-cover-up/

I find it incredibly hard to believe that there are members of the CAF as well as Canadian veterans who defend President Trump. His misogynystic, racist and homophobic comments do not reflect values of the CAF.  If our soldiers, sailors and or air men/women stated publicly some of the things he has said they would be under investigation and/or released. That is all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tomahawk6 said:
Remius said:
There were 10 investigations including 6 republican led ones.  Which one exactly discovered a cover up?
[/]

https://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2015/10/23/gowdy-committee-verifies-timeline-of-hillary-clintons-benghazi-cover-up/

And in the end that committee did not find any evidence of a coverup either.  But some people keep the conspiracy alive...

RocketRichard said:
I find it incredibly hard to believe that there are members of the CAF as well as Canadian veterans who defend President Trump. His misogynystic, racist and homophobic comments do not reflect values of the CAF.  If our soldiers, sailors and or air men/women stated publicly some of the things he has said they would be under investigation and/or released. That is all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With comments like that, you are simply uninformed. 

Brad Sallows said:
If Brennan were objectively interested in thwarting Russian interference, his option would be to provide assistance to the current administration.  That is customarily done through established channels quietly, not by waging an information war in the media.
Trump believes Putin with regards Russian interference as per his Helsinki press conference (and if you believe his "walkback" I have a lovely bridge to sell you). As I've already said, he is being categorically ignored. So if hewing to stability only gets him ignored, what options does he have if the threat is as grave as he has every reason to believe it is?

I think if there is one thing about Trump that needs to be said, he does not get ignored. Perhaps it's because he's so unpredictable, but everyone pays attention when he says or does something. They may not agree, but they don't ignore.

I recommend MSNBC if you want all doom and gloom all the time. They never have a story of positive things. You can go to their YouTube channel to get a taste of their merriment.

kkwd said:
I recommend MSNBC if you want all doom and gloom all the time. They never have a story of positive things. You can go to their YouTube channel to get a taste of their merriment.

I was torn about which alt-left news conglomerate to use, but in these matters, CNN is always a safe bet for outrageous extrapolations and adding to the confusion of some words etymology.

>So if hewing to stability only gets him ignored, what options does he have if the threat is as grave as he has every reason to believe it is?

Trump's bombast and rhetoric don't matter; what matters is what the agencies are actually doing.  If I could believe the union of the set of "people in the agencies who know what is being done" and the set of "people in the agencies willing to talk to Brennan" was a null set, I could believe Brennan doesn't know whether or not any action is being taken.  But I don't believe Brennan has no such sources.  I assume he has some idea of what is going on; if he hasn't accused the entire administration top-to-bottom of doing nothing, it means they are doing something.  So his option is still to offer advice through customary channels.

Usually when a new administration takes over the people from the old one resign to make way for the new people but  the Obama holdovers stayed on and the Senate was slow in approving Trumps appointee's.I don't think he has all of his appointee's in place.Just look at the gong show over Judge Kavenough.The Dem's are trying to slow it down even though they cant stop him even with liberal Republicans help. It will be close.

Indeed.  Obama was so fortunate to not have the Republicans hold anything up.  So unfair to Trump.

/s

recceguy said:
I was torn about which alt-left news conglomerate to use, but in these matters, CNN is always a safe bet for outrageous extrapolations and adding to the confusion of some words etymology.

Like covfefe?  :dunno:

The more that comes out about the so called "Collusion", the stranger the story becomes. One thing is abundantly clear, however: the story being uncovered is not the story we are being told by the media:

https://www.realclearinvestigations.com/articles/2018/06/25/the_mysterious_seven_preludes_of_the_fbis_trump-russia_probe.html?utm_source=RC+Investigations+Today&utm_campaign=bccb37f8ba-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2016_11_11_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d042379c8d-bccb37f8ba-85722861

Seven Mysterious Preludes to the FBI's Trump-Russia Probe
By Lee Smith, RealClearInvestigations
June 26, 2018

The Federal Bureau of Investigation formally opened its Trump investigation after Western intelligence assets and Clinton-affiliated political operatives repeatedly approached the Trump campaign and tried but failed to damage it through associations with Russia, a growing body of evidence suggests.

Before the FBI began investigating the Trump campaign in an operation code-named “Crossfire Hurricane,” there were at least seven different instances when campaign advisers were approached with Russia-related offers. Most of those contacts — including Donald Trump Jr.’s much-publicized meeting with a Russian lawyer and others in June 2016 — offered the prospect of information damaging to Donald Trump’s Democratic opponent, Hillary Clinton.

Two of these approaches were made by one U.S. government informant already publicly identified as such, Stefan Halper. Another was made by a man who swore in court that he had worked as an FBI informant. Two others were made by figures associated with Western intelligence agencies. Another two approaches included political operatives, one foreign, with ties to the Clintons.

President Obama’s director of national intelligence, James Clapper, has asserted that dispatching Halper to follow the Trump campaign "protected" it from the Russians.

But Mark Wauck, a former FBI agent with experience in such tactics, sees an effort at entrapment. “What appear to have been repeated attempts to implicate the Trump campaign, in some sort of quid pro quo arrangement with Russians who claimed to have ‘dirt’ on Hillary,” Wauck told RealClearInvestigations, “look like efforts to manufacture evidence against members of the Trump campaign or create pretexts to investigate it.”

At the same time, in early spring, the Clinton campaign commissioned, through its law firm, the Washington, D.C.-based communications firm Fusion GPS to dig up dirt on the Trump campaign’s alleged ties to Russia. The result was the infamous 35-page dossier compiled by former British spy Christopher Steele.

It appears that neither the FBI nor the Clinton campaign’s paid operatives came up with anything of substance. The seven approaches to the Trump campaign, as far as is publicly known, generated no evidence of coordination with the Russians. No evidence has emerged to change former FBI Director James B. Comey’s description of key parts of the Steele dossier as “salacious and unverified.”

Nevertheless, the report of one person who reached out to a Trump adviser, George Papadopoulos, was reportedly used to launch an official Department of Justice and FBI probe into the Trump campaign and the dossier was evidently a key piece of evidence used to secure a FISA surveillance warrant against Trump foreign policy adviser Carter Page.

Congressional Republicans are demanding that the DOJ and FBI inform Congress whether the FBI tasked informants to follow the Trump campaign before it officially opened its full investigation of the Trump team’s possible ties to Russia on July 31, 2016.

RealClearInvestigations pieced together the following efforts to connect the Trump campaign to Russia through published reports; court documents, including charges filed by Special Counsel Robert Mueller; interviews with former FBI agents; and congressional investigators. RCI’s investigation raises questions about events routinely described as evidence of a Trump conspiracy to collude with Russia. As former agent Wauck suggests, taken together these efforts could be interpreted not as an investigation but a sting operation intended to dirty a presidential campaign.

This is a long article, but read it at the link to see how these seven events played out, and compare them to the "narrative" of "collusion" which has been presented since the start of the Trump Administration.

If anyone wants to fact. Heck the source Thuc posted.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/real-clear-investigations/

Remius said:
If anyone wants to fact. Heck the source Thuc posted.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/real-clear-investigations/

I used Remius' tool to check the four sources (daily/weekly newspapers, not e.g. Foreign Affairs) to which I have subscriptions: three (The Economist, the Financial Times and the South China Morning Post) are in the "least biased" category and one (the Globe and Mail) is is the "centre-right" bias category.

The fact that I tend to follow "least biased" sources does not mean that my interpretations are not highly biased ... it just means I prefer to draw my own conclusions.

RC is useful and should be on everyone's daily go-to list.

A media bias opinion isn't a fact check.  If you want to fact check the article, read it and check its claims.  (And this is what the "media bias" article about RC has to say: "A factual search reveals they have not failed a fact check, however some of the sources they utilize have failed fact checks such as the conspiracy website, Zerohedge.")

Go to RealClearPolitics and peruse the list of selected articles.  Today's afternoon selection includes items from: The Atlantic, American Spectator, NYT, Asia Times, Washington Examiner, South China Morning Post, The Guardian, LA Daily News, LA Times, Washington Post.  RCP is a useful aggregator.  The morning selection is likewise broadly sourced.  I find RCP useful: generally at least one linked article from either "side" of an issue, on several issues of the day.

Apparently "mediabiasfactcheck" has its own critics, who refer to its founder Dave Van Zandt as "just some guy".

Palmer Report (apparently also just some guy).

PolitiFact Bias (apparently devoted to fact checking a fact checker).

A wise person can make up his own mind about reliability and bias without referring to third parties, each of whom may be unreliable and biased.  GIGO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back